Helmet Reviews - Put 'Em Here!

Great Video!
I learned a lot!
It’s the Fox Speedframe Pro MIPS on my noggin! And for good reason. I’m crash Watson.
Mrs. imtbtrails wears the same helmet.
IMG_3881.jpeg

I use Smith Engage (which is not listed) because it fits me better than any other helmet I have tried. However, all 5 Smith helmets that are listed got piss poor reviews. However again, two different Giro helmets scored respectively number one and also in the bottom 8 percent, so each helmet model is special and unique in its own way I suppose. Ride safe, everyone!

Edit: My hockey helmet is a Cooper from the 90s! I will be replacing it next time I lace 'em up.

Last edited:
Many years ago, one of the magazines how a great in depth article on helmet safety. This was before MIPS for sure. I thought I saved it but alas, I've never been able to re-locate it. Anyway, the short version is that according to these researchers, the USA/Snell standards for MTB helmets was too high....in a way saying that the helmets are made so hard/stiff that they were actually causing concussions. The article said the European standards were safer in that they allowed the helmet to crush easier to dissipate the energy more effectively leading to less concussions.

I've personally been a Troy Lee fan specifically because they fit my head the best. I have a couple A2 models. Surprisingly, their super popular Stage full face is terribly uncomfortable and I wouldn't wear one if it was free.

Many years ago, one of the magazines how a great in depth article on helmet safety. This was before MIPS for sure. I thought I saved it but alas, I've never been able to re-locate it. Anyway, the short version is that according to these researchers, the USA/Snell standards for MTB helmets was too high....in a way saying that the helmets are made so hard/stiff that they were actually causing concussions. The article said the European standards were safer in that they allowed the helmet to crush easier to dissipate the energy more effectively leading to less concussions.

I've personally been a Troy Lee fan specifically because they fit my head the best. I have a couple A2 models. Surprisingly, their super popular Stage full face is terribly uncomfortable and I wouldn't wear one if it was free.
Did you watch the video ? It's very good.

I use Smith Engage (which is not listed) because it fits me better than any other helmet I have tried. However, all 5 Smith helmets that are listed got piss poor reviews. However again, two different Giro helmets scored respectively number one and also in the bottom 8 percent, so each helmet model is special and unique in its own way I suppose. Ride safe, everyone!

Edit: My hockey helmet is a Cooper from the 90s! I will be replacing it next time I lace 'em up.
Hey D - I had to buy a new helmet when I laced up the skates last year. I'm done hockey-ing, and I have a great brand new CCM (white) with a brand new Bauer half visor. $250 for me. Make me an offer. Seriously - I think I wore it 5 times. And I wear a du-rag under my helmet.

I also have new gloves. 14" I think.

Back