Helmet Reviews - Put 'Em Here!

Discussion in 'Helmets' started by Daddy Dirtbag, Jan 13, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. PMORTUARY

PMORTUARY Member

Name:
    Dave (D2)
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    I located the squeak in my Super 2R. It's where the adjustment knob and fit system plastic rubs on the poly inside the helmet. Put a small piece of the loop half of Velcro and poof all gone. Or you can just be really irritated at first at then you forget about it. After a couple months of use my work in a nice smooth spot and the squeak is very minimal now.

Danmtchl, herzalot, bvader and 2 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^@PMORTUARY ^^^
    One thousand thanks to you! I will take a look at that.

Danmtchl and PMORTUARY like this.
  3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
  4. bpacifica

bpacifica Member

Name:
    billy
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Shuttle
    helmet3.png helmet1.png First time poster/long time lurker/older Clydesdale -
    Smith Forefront - I decided to bite the bullet on a high end helmet. I did a little research on helmets and was intrigued with their technology. Check it out. I am glad I did. I took a pretty good header OTB on a fire road downhill (Coal Cyn.). Was only going about 10-12 mph. Hit a rut at a bad angle and I am pretty sure I must have grabbed the front brake (I know, rookie mistake). Went right over and my helmet took the brunt of the fall. I feel fortunate with the outcome. I checked out the damage to the helmet and can't say for sure that another helmet would have performed better or worse. I'm no expert. One smallish piece of the inner shell did break apart from impact but the honeycomb inner shell technology did work. I have some good pics to post but an having a tough time uploading them here. All I know is that this sport can be quite challenging and I am not willing to roll the dice anymore on safety issues. I guess it is a bit of a conundrum because some would counter that mountain biking is rolling the dice on safety but, oh well... Point is, IMO protect your head at all costs if $$ feasible.

Faust29, Mikie, Danimal and 1 other person like this.
  5. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    As you may have seen in my crash confession, I tested out my Fox Head Flux helmet a couple of days ago. Just got around to looking at the Garmin speed recap of the incident and found that I was going a little over 22 mph when I clipped a mailbox, rolled into the spin onto my back and came slamming down to an immediate stop within inches of a chain link fence. Couldn't resist the whiplash momentum and smashed the crap out of the back of my helmet.

I have to say that this helmet saved by bacon. Or rather my melon. Maybe melon wrapped in bacon. In any event, for safety I give it high ratings. Originally, I liked it because the XL fit my rather big, giant head very comfortably. The 2 sets of detachable cushion/sweat pads are a nice feature as I can take one set off for clean-up and slap the second set in without having to wait. There are a lot of very large vents so the air moves over my head well, keeping me fairly cool. The back strap for quick fit adjustment work well and simply.

All in all, I liked it enough to replace it with another, scheduled to arrive today, 2 day mail as promised, which is better than the original 4 day estimate. So I can get back out there as early as tomorrow. Just gotta keep telling myself to slow the heck down when I am slaloming in and out of the trail using mailboxes as gaits.

fox head flux.jpg

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I destroyed my Troy Lee A1 Drone in my latest crash, so I replaced it with the IXS RS (Richie Schley) that I got for about $85.

iXSHelmet.jpg

Best fitting hemet I've owned, and very air conditioned and light. My only gripe is that the brow is slightly peaked downward in the middle and both the brow and the visor are blocking my sightline slightly while climbing. That's OK, keeps me from looking up the hill and getting discouraged. This is literally a low-brow helmet.

Sunglass fit is pretty much the same as the A1 Drone. I have to work to position the arms just right. I'm used to it after two years of having to do so.

IXS RS.jpg

UPSed, wc_surveyor, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    TLD A1 .... great airflow, good fit for my razorback shaped head. Padding is excellent and holds a pools worth of sweat. easily removable for washing, and doesn't fall apart. Strap loosens up during rides. This is my go to helmet during hotter months.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBcGHKCdFvMfjIZPPkqScDigdaXjl-t7zDutrFpNpSDQ7sa0sc.jpg
    Giro Hex.... good airflow and perfect fit for me big dome. straps stay tight. padding is a little weak, and doesn't hold much sweat. The fit is spot on for me

giro_hex_mattekellygreen_highliteyellow_13_z.jpg
    I've tried on POC Trabec, Smith Forefront, Bell Super 2r (or whatever its called) and the Fox Flux. Not a single one of them fit my melon good.
    I do like the look of the new Fly helmet. Might try that one next, at least try it on. Fly makes quality stuff, so we'll see.

Mikie likes this.
  8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    We have a the Fly Firestone and it has an odd fit. Most helmets fit me fine, but this one had an odd fit.

Mikie and Redman like this.
  9. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    hmmm??? that's a sign it will likely fit my odd head. Do you have the new Palmer model?

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  10. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    I have both of these helmets and agree.

giro_hex_mattekellygreen_highliteyellow_13_z.jpg

Mikie, Danmtchl and Redman like this.
  11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Yes

Mikie likes this.
  12. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    I like my Kali Maya helmet in matte orange. It fits great and has good coverage in the back.
    This is the first helmet where my head actually gets colder than my body, which will be awesome during the summer, but not so much during the winter.
    Also, my buddy likes the orange because you can see me about a mile away.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  13. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I've tried numerous helmets from POC, TLD, Bell, Urge, and more. Giro, Bell and a some of the major brands just don't fit my head well. My previous favorite had been the Troy Lee A1. I found it to be an excellent helmet that fits my oval head well. My TLD was becoming old, sweat soaked and I was just ready to try a new helmet. Planning to purchase another A1, I ran across a Kask Rex. I really like their road bike helmet and decided to give the Kask Rex a try for my MTB. It's my new fave. The helmet is reasonably light, even better vented than the A1 and has all the bells and whistles like goggle holders, adjustments and GoPro mount built in. It also has wonderful adjustments and a leather chin strap. As a bonus, it's actually made in Italy.

I really like the Kask Rex and still have no real issues with the TLD A1. Let me know if you have questions...
    IMG_1641.jpg

14. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Helmets are like seats...what works for me, may not work for you. That being said, I recently picked up a Bell Super 2. I came from Uvex helmet which I loved for it's fit and sweat management (I'm a sweater). However, the coverage around the temples and back of the head were not quite as substantial as I prefer for my style of riding. Therefore, when I stumbled on a good deal on the Bell Super 2 and it fit my noggin, I jumped all over it. It's quite a bit heavier than my Uvex bucket, but it also covers more of my head than the Uvex. Sweat management is not great, but as I said, I'm a sweater and no helmet has been able to contain my sweatiness.

This helmet feels much more protective than any other open face helmet I have previously worn (Fox Flux, 661 Recon, Uvex). I no longer feel the extra weight that I initially felt as I have become accustomed to it. I like the retention system with the dial in the back and adjustable chin strap. I'm not a huge fan of the overall looks as the visor sits really high IMO. Mine is the non-MIPS model and if it fits your head well and you can get it for sub $80, I do not think you can go wrong. Oh and as part of the purchase price, you get the ICE (in case of emergency) service, where you create a log in...then establish a few emergency contacts. There is a sticker on the back of the helmet with a code...if you're found hurt/unconscious and someone texts that code to the number on the sticker and they will notify your emergency contacts. I'm not banking on it and still notify my emergency contacts when I go out solo, but it's a nice add on feature for a bit of added sense of security.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  16. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    What we really want to know more about is the bike!!

Mikie likes this.
  17. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    As more and more of my riding has me aggressively pointed downhill, I'm starting to think about getting a full face helmet for those times when it is appropriate (Hi Snow Summit, I will be in you this summer). However, none of y'all are talking about that here.

I wear a TLD A1 myself for my normal All Mountain riding, so my web searches have naturally gravitated to the (Expensive as all get out) MIPS D3 TLD Full Face. I know a lot of the pro Enduro and DH riders wear those, but how much of that is marketing versus quality/value. Note; I don't ever value "cheap" or "inexpensive" with headgear. That just means the company cut corners somewhere to keep costs down, and I'd much rather pay full $$ to protect my brain.

18. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan

a-serbian-film.jpg

Her name is Snow.....I think. LOL

yvettessherpa and UPSed like this.
  19. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Cougar, Check out the Bell Full 9 also. I was a TLD D3 fanboi til I slipped the Full 9 on my head, for my melon the fit is superior to the D3. I was running the A1 also, as a matter of fact I've had 3 of them. Now I'm running the Giro Montero with the Mips. Best all mountain lid I've ever placed on my head and there has been alot!

Mikie, herzalot and Cougar like this.
  20. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    The Mojo 3 has been wonderful. As with helmets, I've had a lot of bikes from brands like Ibis, Trek, Ellsworth, Specialized, Niner, Santa Cruz, On One, and so on. My riding style is similar to Mikie's (a little bit of everything), but I don't have his level of skills (yet). Historically, for a one bike quiver, I've been a big fan of 120mm 29" bikes that can do trail, back country exploring and aren't out of place at Mammoth. The Ripley, Ripley LS and Fuel EX fit my style well for a single bike. As a result, I never imagined riding anything other than a 29 bike again. Recently Mike (a fellow member) purchased my Mojo HD3 and I was resigned to 29 inch, except I demoed a Mojo 3+ in Sedona and had the good fortune to have my HD3 and Fuel EX 9.9 along. All three bikes were superb, but the M3+ really stood out. I sold the other two and built an M3+ and never looked back.

I am quite impressed with both the super-dialed in geometry of the M3 and the B+ tires are wonderful. Not only do they have the expected high levels of traction, but they also roll faster than you'd expect. The M3 is more plush and more efficient than you can possibly imagine. I've ridden it 7 or 8 times and am getting the suspension dialed in and I love it. It'll be my do-everything bike for quite a while. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Mikie, Daddy Dirtbag and herzalot like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @Cougar See the full-face in my Avatar? That's a Bell Drop I bought for about $100. I still use it. Bell doesn't make that model anymore, but point is, you can get a quality FF for SS or other DH applications for $90-$120.

Mikie likes this.
  22. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I know it is difficult to drop $$$ on a helmet. But, I look at it this way.... Don't skimp on a helmet, you only get one head. How much is your head worth? $85 helmet = $85 head. You get what you pay for.
    When I wear a full face, it is a MX helmet. I had it from riding MX. It has better protection than a MTB helmet, stricter standards. Yes, it is heavier than a MTB helmet. Yes, it has less airflow. But so what, I only wear it a few times a year for lift/shuttle rides.

Mikie likes this.
  23. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Yes, but you also bought that before WW II ;) Inflation has come a long way since then!

Joking aside, without personal reviews of those cheaper helmets, I'm going to think like Redman above. My head is worth a lot of money! (And no, that doesn't mean I'm going to turn a $100 half lid into a gold plated monstrosity just to drive up the price.)

24. wc_surveyor

wc_surveyor Member

Name:
    Dean
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem SX
    Back in the 70's when I first started riding dirt bikes, there was a Bell helmet poster that hung in my local motorcycle dealership. The slogan was, "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet". I have never forgotten that and I live by it to this day. I have always worn top level helmets when riding motorcycles. After many years of wearing a Giro Pnuemo (left over from my road bike days), I am currently wearing an IXS Trail RS helmet. I love the venting and the way it cradles my head.

25. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    After my crash 3 years ago I needed to replace my 2 month old Bell. The Bell probably did its job, no cracks or obvious damage but I had gotten a concussion bad enough to lose 6 hours of memories so it was time to replace and time to upgrade.

After trying on a dozen helmets I found the Giro “Feature” fit my head perfectly. It does not seem to have as much venting as other helmets and I was afraid that it was going to be hot, but it has been fine even on 100°+ days.

I wore the pads out on that helmet, replaced it with the MIPS version of the same helmet and I just as happy with that one. So far, I haven’t tested it’s crash worthiness, or it has done so well that I didn’t notice.

Some new pads and the old helmet is now my Night helmet with a light semi-permanently mounted on top.

26. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    In regards to full face helmets, for the 2-5 days a year I get to use it...I have an older Troy Lee Designs D2 carbon. I'll be honest, it fits me really well, but I bought it mainly for its bitchin graphics.

Mikie, yvettessherpa and Cougar like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Here's my personal review:
    I love my Bell Drop. Too bad they don't make them anymore. Mine is the Lopes 55 model which has snazzy graphics. It's comfortable and not too hot. I really like the click chin-snap closure instead of D-Rings, but I think that feature is gone from the Full Face world. I've fallen several time while wearing my Drop, but I have never taken a direct blow to the head. I hope that when I do, it does its job. The stickers inside say it will.

Okay, now that I got that out of the way, here's some more random thoughts about price and safety when it comes to full-face helmets.

Price is not a 1:1 ratio with safety. A $375 TLD is not 2.5x safer (or perhaps any safer) than a $150 Giro.

I see 2015 Bell Transfer 9s for about $75 at Price Point and Jenson. Fox Rampages for $119. You can get a helmet that's basically as safe as they get for less than $150. If you need reviews, just google 'em. Like anything else, if you buy last year's model, you can get much better prices.

Happy hunting - And I hope your noggin is OK after today's dismount!

Mikie, BeckTrex and Cougar like this.
  28. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Ya the head is fine. :) thanks!

29. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    After hitting three stores today (The Path - Live Oak, Pure Ride Cycles, TLD Laguna), I finally managed to get a Full Face. The Path only had one D3 XL, and no Bell 9's in XL and no XXL's anywhere. I wasn't sure if I was an XL or an XXL. I was certainly NOT a L though, that thing barely fit on my face.

Pure Ride only had a single Full Face in the entire store, and it looked like it wasn't the D3 equiv, rather the D2 equiv.

I called TLD Laguna, and they said they had XL and XXL's in stock, and remembering @herzalot comment on the trails about a clearance rack, I asked them if they had XL's or XXL's in the clearance rack. They did! Shoulda made that call first rather than last, heh. Off I went, three boys in tow.

Turned out the XXL is a bit too big, so the XL is where it is at. They had three last year models in XL so I had a few choices, but ended up with something that won't necessarily match my kit/bike, but it isn't a horrible clashing monster either :)

54db262c3847b.jpg

Oh ya, and they took off 50% at the register too since it was last years model. Bad Ass!

Mikie, herzalot and BeckTrex like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You're welcome!

Mikie and Cougar like this.