Helmet Reviews - Put 'Em Here!

Discussion in 'Helmets' started by Daddy Dirtbag, Jan 13, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    My old helmet padding was beginning to deteriorate, time for something new. I chose the 6D because when I put it on, it instantly felt the most comfy compared to the others I tried( Bell, Giro, Smith, etc). Went a little nuts with this one, it was kind of pricey. Two rides in- so far so good. No soreness, and great ventilation.
    image.jpeg
    Just spreading the word

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That's a mighty fine looking hardhat there... ^^^^^

And a mighty fine work space too! :thumbsup:

But what's with the shameless placement under the USC stuff, surrounded by USC stuff? Did you go to USC? (J/K I think I know the answer). Fight on!

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and MolarM like this.
  3. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Yes, it has become somewhat of a "shrine". Might have to tone it down a bit. Wait, what am I saying??? Thanks for the comments, and Fight On!

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  4. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    I'm into my 4th month with MIPS Forefront & I FINALLY found a helmet that really fits my pumpkin. My last three rides have all been in 90°+ heat. I can't find anything wrong, especially related to cooling. When I first got my CX bike last year my Giro bounced all over my head even with new pads and constant adjusting. I don't think I've ever noticed the Forefront moving around - super happy.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Smith Forefront for Visual Reference:
    smith-forefront-copy-224917-11.jpg

OTHRider and mtnbikej like this.
  6. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    A 13 year old young lady that I was coaching (soccer) once asked me, "You know what they say about Trojans?"

Such a sweet young girl. I never saw it coming. . . . . "No, what?"

Her: "They always break under pressure!"

Mikie, MrGreedom, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  7. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Awwwww................. The cute things kids will say.:laugh: Speaking of helmets- I heard Trojans are getting a helmet/uniform
    graphics change this year. I wanna see it

Mikie likes this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    IXS RS Trail Update (Richie Schley model):

The fit is still awesome, and it's the coolest (temp) helmet I've owned HOWEVER the brow is so low on this thing, I am seriously considering shaving it back. I cannot see while riding up hill without really lifting my head, which strains my neck and shoulders. It's kinda good not to see 'cuz when you stare at the ground climbing it appears much flatter and you don't have that disheartening view of the hill in front of you, however, it's not real safe to ride without forward vision.

I've adjusted it as much as possible, but that low peak of the helmet and visor is still prominent. Decision time. Deal wth it, grind/cut or get another. :bang: Or, I could add 30mm of spacers under a 25° riser stem... :confused:

CraigandMeXC-Skyline.JPG

Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  9. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Here's one that I can't recommend. I picked up a Giro Montaro from Backcountry. The fit and ventilation were great, but as seen by the pic below, the liner was coming apart after one ride. I guess I should have read the reviews before purchasing as several others had the same issue. Backcountry is giving me a full refund. I ordered a Kask Rex to replace it, I'll post back after I have that one.

Giro_H_Montaro_MatteTitaniumFlame_34_MIPS.jpg Giro Montaro.JPG

10. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Smith Forefront update - Yesterday, I decided at 35 miles in to climb Telegraph in Chino Hills up to 4-Corners for a little extra riding. At noon it was 87 on my phone. Entering the trail it became the dry brush dead zone with absolutely no breeze and this thread came to mind.

You can't dial the heat down so I just kept pedaling. Maybe my head doesn't work but I never got the "overheated" feeling. My whole body was dripping but my head stayed normal. Thankfully 4-Corners had the most wonderful 10mph breeze. I can't say it is a cool helmet but I don't think it is a hot helmet either.

11. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I'm on my second Forefront (The first one was not as hard at the rock I was trying to headbutt).
    I own other helmets, and I like it more then my back up (Fox Flux).
    Additionally, I've been using the Overtake on the road (and one XC race) as well.
    The thin liner can absorb large amount of sweat, and during brakes a gentle push on the front of the helmet will drain it nicely.

As expected (by me) Smith came up with a solid line up.

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Stopped by TLD today after work. Brought in my broken A1 and asked if they would do a crash-replacement discount. They hooked me up. New MIPS A1 for less than the price of a regular A1. I had a choice of many colorways, so I went with... black. I would have gone with white, but they didn't have it. I'm not a big fan of a gazillion racing stripes, lightning bolts or whatever it is that Troy is famous for.

So I have purchased 4 helmets this year. Two Bell Transfer 9 Full Face (They were on sale for $100), the IXS for a steep discount and the TLD A1 MIPS for a steep discount. I will sell the extra Bell to a friend, but I have to admit, I bought the second one because it was green and black - as are both of my bikes. The first one was white, red and grey. A $100 helmet is cheaper than being forced to buy an Intense M16c to match my helmet! :cool:

I'll keep the green IXS as a back-up helmet, unless someone from this site wants to make me a great offer. I swear, I never sweated in it. You know me, I don't ride up hills. :whistling:

Oh - side note - I purchased all of these from LBSs and got better prices than you could get online. Just sayin' - support your LBS.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  13. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I didn't know that TLD is an LBS. Are they a full service shop or a show room?
    It sound to me like they are competing with the true LBS.

Don't get me wrong......
    It's your money. Spend it as you please, but a manufacture's showroom is not an LBS in my book.

Mikie likes this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    OK. But they are local. They invest in trail advocacy. They sponsor shop rides, kids teams and many, many competitive mountain bikers - and I still got the helmet cheaper than you can get it online. Did they undercut the "true" LBS? Not at all. It's their damn helmet. They gave me a deal because of my request and being local. It's the online dealers who undercut the LBSs constantly. Jenson gets a pass since they have brick and mortar and also sponsor local mt. bike events (I think).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... I have seen Troy himself driving the TLD van through Laguna shuttling young rippers. I've also seen him at the shop - er, I mean showroom - on numerous occasions. Last time I saw him he was sponsoring a fundraiser for Trailmix (Laguna Canyon Foundation) in his parking lot.

15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I have been wearing a Kali Avana for over a year now. The fit and ventilation are great however it tends to migrate forward on bumpy descents. As far as protection goes I have crash tested two of them. One was an OTB where I landed on my back and the back of my head hit the ground hard. No visible damage to the helmet but the sound of a loud crack when it hit the ground told me I should replace it. Having paid for itself once I figured I'd pick up another using their crash replacement policy. I believe it was a percentage off the new helmet. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I would test the Avana again. On the back side of Strawberry there was a tree down that I thought I could ride under. Unfortunately I didn't duck low enough and hit the front of my helmet on the tree. It rang my bell pretty good but I was able to continue on. Again looking to replace my damaged helmet I found out that Kali now offers a full crash replacement. The process is pretty simple however I was contacted today and told they no longer have the Avana and wanted to know if I'd accept something else in its place. A quick search turned up their new Interceptor. Since the retail is a little more than the Avana I have to pay the retail difference which is only $30 for a new and far better helmet. They're not available until mid January so I'll be wearing an old Flux until it arrives. Pics of the old and a pic and link to the new.20161127_093054-3024x2268.jpg 20161127_093130-3024x2268.jpg
    http://www.bikemag.com/gear/apparel/kalis-new-interceptor-helmet/#0quowtuqhlv1RdM9.971481908582512-1296249385001.jpg

16. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    You know there are easier ways to clear trees from the trail. They are called chainsaws.

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's why I am riding with this now.
    IMG_0207.jpg

Oaken, kioti, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  18. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    Should get the job done.

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  19. bpacifica

bpacifica Member

Name:
    billy
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Shuttle
    I have a Smith Forefront. Anyone know how/where to replace the inner pad? Haven't had any response from Smith Optics in this regard. Thanks

Mikie likes this.
  20. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Any comments which of the new "fuller coverage" helmets works best with a ponytail?
    C'mon someone on this site must be sporting a man-bun

(but I'm serious about the ponytail option)

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I didn't like my hair in a pony tail in the helmets....but putting them in pig tails was great. :rolleyes:

Actually....it really depends on the retention device. The ones that use the 2 side clips like Giro/Fox/TLD seem to have more room in the middle for a ponytail. Whereas the ones that use the center dial like Bell have less real estate.

Mikie, H2oChick and DangerDirtyD like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well, I could grow a bitchin' skullet, put it in a ponytail and give my IXS RS and my Troy Lee A1 helmets a try and then report back!

Thankfully, none of the guys I've ridden with on this site are sporting either a man-bun or a ponytail. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's who you are.

Mikie, H2oChick and DangerDirtyD like this.
  23. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    Unrelated to the skullet, I just bought a Bell Super 3 as my POC trabec took more blows than I'd like to admit. The super 3 vents well. Has as good if not better coverage than the trabec and the visor retention and pivot is great. Not sold on MIPS but it doesn't seem to bug me like it does on other helmets. I was considering the Smith forefront but felt that was too narrow.

image.jpg

mike, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 2 others like this.
  24. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    This is a hot topic for me right now. After my "experience" last weekend I needed to purchase a new helmet. I had been looking around in the shops knowing that I would need an update and didn't find anything that fit.
    I wanted just the standard MTB helmet, not with the convertible option or full face. So I ordered 3 online and did some in home fit testing.
    - IXS Trail XC - Small/Medium
    - Bell Super 3 - Women's - Medium
    - Giro Montaro - Medium
    The IXS fit was tight and I was at the maximum extension. Nice snug fit and had good coverage and pretty nice pads. Good adjustment fore/aft/up/down but too tight for my noggin.
    The Bell Super 3 Womens is a very nice helmet with lots of vent holes, nice adjustment options, really cool color and graphics. The size was correct but it felt a little heavy and seemed to have excess weight on the sides. Not sure if this one can be converted to FF but maybe that would explain the extra side weight
    Giro Montaro fit the best for my cabeza. Has good adjustment options where I'm not at the limits of either min/max. The padding could be a little better compared to the IXS or Giro.
    Seems like the newer helmets are fitting lower on the back of the head and limited options for "pony tail port." I've had to make some adjustments as I was just so used to my old helmet.

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

25. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I know a woman who wears this helmet and loves it.

https://www.kask.com/en/cycling/helmets/rex_24_9.htm

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, I hear ya on that one! :confused:

Sounds like the Giro is the one for you, with a slight ponytail modification. But that Kask looks ponytail friendly! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Awwww dayumm... I already made the skullet joke a year ago - three posts up above. Lame! :oops:

H2oChick, Cornholio and Mikie like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for taking time to put this all down, Kay. Very useful info! And rare on this site to get a lady's review. :thumbsup:

PS: Bummer that you took a digger, but good can come of it, as you demonstrate.

Mikie, H2oChick, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  28. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    One person’s problem is another’s dream... I’d grow a ponytail if I wouldn’t look like comic book guy from the simpsons with it, instead I have to worry about getting sunburned spots on my bald noggin where the helmet vent holes are. :thumbsdown:

27EEBF80-DF74-41CB-9C99-00C9679059E5.png

herzalot, MrGreedom, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  29. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Best review yet!!!

H2oChick and Danmtchl like this.
  30. dino

dino Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    john
    Current Bike:
    ibis mojo 2009
    Have a POC Tectal Race XXL. XXcelent. Comfortable and not really heavy. For Road I have a POC Octal, Xtremely light.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.