JPL to Inspiration Point - San Gabes

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Luis, Jul 21, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 07-23-17
  1. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Ride Name: JPL to Inspiration Point - San Gabes
    When: Sunday July 23, 2017
    Time: 5:45am - Rolling at 6:00am
    Where: Near the corner of Windsor Ave and Ventura St in Altadena aka JPL lot
    Ride Description or Details:
    We will ride up to Inspiration Point above Altadena via Lower Sam Merrill ST to Mt Lowe FR.
    We will descend via Middle Sam Merrill ST, Sunset Ridge ST to Millard Campground.
    Climb lower Brown Mountain FR to El Prieto. This is the customary route exit. Extra credit at this point will be climbing up Brown Mountain FR to the Ken Burton trailhead, where we will descend to the Arroyo and exit out on the Gabrielino.

This ride has it all and it's a tough one. Exposure going up on LSM, and rocky chunky exposed goodness on the downs.

~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location:
    See the attached picture for parking suggestions.
    Skill Level: Intermediate, Advanced
    Ride Pace: Moderate Pace
    Type of Ride: Loop
    Rider Limit: No limit. This is also posted on the OTBmbc site.
    Anticipated Mileage: 21 miles if exiting through El Prieto. 28-30 miles if adding Ken Burton
    Elevation Gain: 4K w/El P - 5K w/Ken Burton
    Ride Duration: 5 hours max - We will probably be done by 11am
    Previous Ride Reports: www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/san-gabes-sunday-ride.3604/
    Possible Bail-Outs: You can descend Mt Lowe road if Middle Merrill is too much for you.
    You can also exit through Chaney Rd to civilization after descending sunset trail.

Facilities:
    Food/water suggestions:
    Bring what you feel comfortable with. There is no water after you start climbing Lower Sam Merrill. There is water in the Arroyo near the exit of El Prieto by the ranger's cabins, but by then you're almost done with the ride.
    Option to Upload:

JPL PARKING.PNG

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  2. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Yea this ride happened. Guess I should have not linked to the ride report that mentioned the time TTB went 15 feet down some jagged rocks :eek:
    Seven OTB'ers showed up for the early ride. Some took the first bailout and didn't climb up to Inspiration Point but all had a great day on the bike.

IMG_1817.JPG IMG_1818.JPG IMG_1820.JPG

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Glad to see that you all are human (and needed to rest). That paved climb sucks donkey balls. I feel the pain... :eek:

mike and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?