XTR vs XT brake review

Discussion in 'Brake Systems' started by CarlS, Feb 4, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Just thought I would post up my thoughts and notes about my recent change from XTR to XT on my regular trail bike. I originally tried out the new M9000 XTR race brakes since I found a great deal on them, however my impressions were that they were not as good as the XT M785 brakes I had used previously (on a different bike) So anyhow, I decided to get a set of the newer M8000 XT brakes and had unknowingly ordered them with the metal pads. So these should be impressive stoppers right? Will the advantage be worth the weight penalty?

The XTR brakes had the organics without the cooing fins. The XTR race brakes are still good brakes. VERY light and still have good stopping power, but again I did notice slightly less than the XT M785s I had been using previously. Nothing bad to say about them, but I did notice I was having to apply more lever than I was used to. It was enough to make me think it about it from time to time while riding.

The XT M8000 brakes are definitely noticeably heavier! Taking off the XTRs and installing the XTs, you can feel the extra weight. Mostly in the calipers (metal pads with fins). SO the brakes went on 2 days ago and I got one good 1.5 hour ride on them so far. Same bike, same rotors. I can say I am happy with the results so far although I have not used them on any long DH type trails yet. What I noticed was that I was not thinking about them at all, so that means they must be working great for me, right? I could quickly scrub off speed with light pulls of the index fingers. and NO noise, ZERO so far and again these are metal pads. Another thing I liked was that they seemed to bed in quickly with a few hard stops. ooops I lied, they made a slight squeek 2nd time I applied them during bed in process. :rolleyes:

Anyhow. will post up some more thoughts and pics after a good long decent. I'm happy with the stopping power, but still trying to get over adding 176 grams = almost half pound ! :eek::eek::eek:

XTR brake.JPG
    XT brake.JPG

hill^billy, Varaxis, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  2. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Thanks for this! I may need a new set of brakes soon so this comparison is very handy. What are your thoughts on the XT 785s vs. the M800s?

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  3. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    I would maybe say the M8000 are less "grabby" than the 785s... maybe? I guess better modulation? seems like the 785s I have are kinda like on/off and these M8000 have a little bit better feel in the lever. Not any huge difference. The M8000 look nicer IMO.
    So really not sure actually... Again, I only have one ride on them so far.

Really hard to beat the price on these XTs. for $200 F&R you have fantastic brakes. same said if you are a weight wennie and get XTR, they are only another $150 and they still work really well.

4. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Thanks for the comparison. I'm about to go from XT785 to XT8000 soon.
    I "think" the XTR race brakes don't have the servo wave technology like the XTR trail and XT. (At least that was the case with the old 98* series). If that holds true for the new 9*** and XT series, I would certainly expect a little more power (and weight) on the trail versions.

Daddy Dirtbag likes this.