Would you rather.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derkderkall, Nov 9, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

?

Would you rather....

1. Year 2000 parts, with 2020 geometry

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. Year 2020 parts, with 2000 geometry

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Saw this on the pb twitter...

Might make for an interesting ongoing thread...

Feel free to add your own.

2. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Hmmm
    I thought it could be a thread full of polls, but maybe that wouldn't work..

Danmtchl likes this.
  3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    2000 parts with 2020 geometry and 29" wheels. I never had any problems with my Hayes brakes or Shimano XT drivetrain.

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I don't want a 73 degree head angle. :stop: My gravel bike has geometry numbers comparable to my 2015 Highball. I can't imagine going farther back in time than that.

tick, herzalot, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    IMG_0170.JPG
    2002 geometry with parts up until 2015. Still for sale at a few dollars under 5k.

Oaken, Grego, tick and 5 others like this.
  6. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    So we go back to quick release axles also?

tick and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. dssgaffler

dssgaffler Member

Name:
    Never will sellout
    Current Bike:
    Intense + Revel + Transition
    PB had a 3rd tweener option on their poll which was a bike from 2010. I chose that option on PB and stand by it here. I have 2010 Tracer that can still hang and occasionally sees dirt. 1x9 26ers were for real men (and women).

8. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    And 3x.....

No droppers....

No tubeless.....?

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I choose not to vote because neither one works for me. Sounds awfully similar to something else that just happened in our nation.

Faust29, buggravy, jimbowho and 4 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I had a SS back then...wouldn’t be so bad.

Faust29, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    My 2000 Cove Gspot had a 67* head angle, 20mm thru axle up front, 2x with bash, and I took it 1x9 the next year when I put on a chain guide. I rode everything on that bike. Coil suspension front and rear vs air suspension, and it was heavier overall at 33lbs are the biggest differences from what I ride now. The Mojo3 also has a 67* head angle. Just like the Cove, I ride everything on that bike.

I'm sure there are differences in geometry but I don't recall having more or less fun back around 2000 than I do now. I think I'd get by just fine on a bike like the Cove these days, even if it had 2000 era parts to go with it's 2000 era geometry. Not every bike back then sucked. That Cove along with my Super8 and V10 are still some of the favorite bikes I've owned.

More than anything I'd willingly give up the massive parts selection we have now in favor of a few brands that are reasonably priced...and just work. Back then if you wanted a solid set of cranks you'd put on RaceFace turbines and RF BB. There weren't 10 different models with numerous iterations of BB width and interface and materials to choose from, and planned obsolescence from never-ending new "standards" wasn't a thing. For suspension you'd put on a Marz Z1, or a Z2 for an XC bike. Or a Boxxer for your DH bike. There was just 1 model of each, and they just worked.

These days it seems like people spend way more time agonizing over minute details of parts selection than they do riding.

Faust29, SS Barby, Luis and 8 others like this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice!

I will choose... either! Like Steve mentioned, my gravel bike is basically old skool XC geometry, and it's fine. My other bikes are all pretty typical contemporary geometry/parts and are fine! But if I had to choose, I'd choose contemporary parts. Namely tubeless 29ers, 1X, and droppers. Don't care about the number of gears in back, disc or rim brake, or how wide the bars are. Either Y2K or contemporary geo will get me up and down the hill. Okay, that's rambling, but you get the point!

Faust29, SS Barby, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    You have wait a year or two for UST tubeless. I know it came on my 02 NRS.

Faust29, Old&InTheWay and mtnbikej like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    All bikes in 2000 were too short for me in the reach/top tube. Too steep in the head angle. So geometry is a no brainer for me. Hopefully, by choosing modern geometry that means I get a modern frame - including rear suspension design. Most rear suspension designs in 2000 were shite.

When was the Fox 36 introduced? Or the Marzocchi 55? Both were stellar and would be hard to beat now.

Tubeless? That matters if you ride where there are thorns, otherwise, the frequency of flats was tolerable. When were Minions introduced? Around then I think.

Dropper posts? Meh - I had no problem lowering my seat at the top of a descent and raising it back up at the bottom. Took all of 15 seconds. Saves a pound.

And the Shimano stuff worked great in 2000 - well, not sure about the brakes, but the derailleurs and drivetrain were every bit as good as they are now, except all that chain slap. I'd have to go back to a chain guide on my 2x9.

29er? Couldn't care less.

So I get a modern full-sus frame with a Marzocchi 55, 26" wide handlebar, no dropper, 26" DT Swiss rimes/spokes/hubs shod with Minions, Shimano 2x9 drivetrain with chainguide, whatever disc brakes were tolerable back in 2000, Chris King headset and bottom bracket, Thomson seatpost with QR collar. That works.

Ooops - no modern frames work with 26" wheels. Wait, weren't there 29" MtB wheels in 2000? But no good 29er forks. Hmmmm.... This just got complicated.

15. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Hindsight, its 20/20....

Danmtchl and Sidewalk like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Hindsight is so 2020.

Danmtchl likes this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Oh, I think I finally understand @Derkderkall's intention of this thread. He wanted us to chime in with other forced choices like...

Would you rather ride when it's cold and miserable, or way too hot?

Danmtchl, tick, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Interesting how the poll standings at this point are close. It goes to show that it's a hard decision to make. The pros and cons are nearly equal.

Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    My GF has a 2008 Pivot that I think is pretty damn nice. 3x9, no dropper, 140mm, barely even XC geo, but overall a nice bike. AND with some very nice 26" Mavic wheels setup tubeless!

I chose freewill!

WAY too easy of an answer. I would rather ride when it is 127* (done it) than 27* (done that too).

herzalot, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I like this better for “would you rather”......

180ACBE7-3766-43B7-8937-53D2131B93A0.png

vs.

E5D881C7-BAC1-4598-98AF-27A4D9FF2094.jpeg

21. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Standby...

herzalot, SS Barby and Mikie like this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
  23. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I ride either a 1997 frame with 2018 parts, a 2001 frame with 2019 parts or a 2020 frame and parts. They are all great fun but for very different reasons. For example one is fun cos its just so sketchy to ride, the other is fun because you can go so damn fast on it compared to the others.

To answer the poll question though for me I guess I look at it from an engineering perspective. Adding new parts to an old frame improves the system making the sum total better . Why I would want to take what is a good system and make it worse by adding inferior (old) parts to the frame makes no sense for me.
    Probably doesn't help that I look at it from an automotive background. Would I want to put modern EFI on my 1972 classic car? Hell yeah, more power, better fuel economy, who wouldn't want that. Would I want to put my '72 boat anchor engine and 4spd gearbox in a modern equivalent. Ah no, thats just dumb.

Danmtchl, Faust29, dssgaffler and 4 others like this.
  24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    we don’t need a picture of you...

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Apparently I spoke too soon. :facepalm:

26. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    So you choose the other guy? Heads up, he’s 2” taller and wears a size 14 shoe!

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'll take the geometry and hold out for better parts... ;)

28. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    Just actually did a recent build this way, kind of. Took a new geometry hardtail frame and swapped parts as I could with an older geometry bike and it works great. I love the new geometry on hardtails, makes such a difference. As far as gears, etc. my bike is currently in singlespeed mode but really what is the difference between 9 sped and 12 speed, except a few extra gears in the middle. The only component that I find is truly an upgrade since the early 2000s is a dropper. That is a necessary part in my mind now. So I voted 2000 parts on 2020 geometry.

29. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    Totally agree. Both are amazing riders. Anika looks like Olivia Newton John in Grease. You can have it plus, she is too skinny even though she'd kick my ass in a race

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yes.

herzalot, Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?