Where are your favorite places to eat?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by kazlx, Aug 23, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    If it just the two of us, we grab a seat in the bar. Same killer views and better people watching. The piano is always so damn relaxing.

Someone I know was involved in an "inventory" there.........something like 600# of prime in stock at all times

Mikie, Faust29, Oaken and 5 others like this.
  2. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’ve only been to the Irvine La Sirena location. I thought it was fine, but it’s a place I could take my midwestern in-laws to. What I got was kind of bland. Well prepared but bland. Maybe i ordered the wrong items?

3. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Try the blackened salmon burrito next time, no beans or rice though. Calamari in anything is good too but get it sautéed not fried. When I use to eat there the seafood was way better than anything else on the menu. The rest seemed bland as you alluded to with your experience.

Mikie, Faust29, tick and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    Phoenicia in Redlands next to Trader Joe’s is really good...awesome falafels

Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  5. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I've since been to Blake's 2x. First time, party of 4 including 2 high school boys that eat like horses, ordered the Half Feast
    that supposedly feed 3-4. We ended taking some leftovers home. 2nd visit, party of 7, ordered the full Feast, took at
    least half of the food home, 4 boxes. They challenged me to dessert, I said I could only make room for home made peach cobbler
    and surprised surprised.

On the 1st visit, a couple finished eating and walked out just as we sat down. They came back in asking if it was ok for them to say hi
    to our pit bull in the back of the vehicle with the rear hatch open. Turns out he's Blake's dad. He went inside and came back out with a
    plate of briskets and asked if he could give Emma some. We usually don't give her human food but
    it was Saturday night. They traded briskets for lots of kisses and hugs and hand shakes.

He and his lady are proper pet lovers; he has a large dog but she wants a small dog. She decided/compromised that
    a 50 lb pit is the ideal breed and size for them. They're gonna look into rescuing 1. That alone made it worth a return trip.

Super awesome people, exc food, huge portion. Blake asked me for suggestions to attract more biz. I said good draft beers;
    currently only has bottles. He's working on it. My other suggestion was more burnt ends.

Solid rec, Joe!

Mikie, Oaken, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    @Danimal - The Neighborhood Grill is no more. I went for a Gyro the other day, and there was a work crew gutting the inside. They said the owner retired and sold the space. It will be another Italian restaurant by the end of the month. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    :cry::cry:
    Bummer..,been going there since about the time it opened. Had a nice conversation with the owner recently about when I first went there.

Even met my wife at the neighborhood grill, so it has a good feeling for me. Sad to see it go .

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I gave the Laguna (North) La Sirena a shot today. Ordered a chicken burrito off the menu, i was really happy with it. It’s good if you’re there already; I wouldn’t drive past Jalapeños or Taco Mesa or Tacos Sinaloa to get La Sirena.

I recommend the burrito over the tacos, which as I said a year ago are kind of bland.

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Oh man, last night we went to one of the local Mexican restaurants, and it was amaze-balls! My wife and I split a molcajete and possibly the best we've ever had. The boy had chili colorado, and the same... wow. So if you're ever in the IE and looking for some grub, check out La Concha... @Cyclotourist recommended!

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    But would you drive past La Sirena to get to Taco Mesa, Sinaloa or Jalepenos?

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'll let the Professor know! :p

12. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Good place in Arcadia for hand-pulled noodle soup. Closest to the real deal I have found in the LA area
    IMG_20191215_134653__01.jpg
    IMG_20191215_133052__01.jpg
    The real deal, Lanzhou, China
    mmexport1560217630777.jpg

Oaken, konakc, Stkx66 and 15 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'd take that over a post-ride taco any day...

14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    $11.99 here, ¥6 in China, about $1.
    Hao che!

Eat your tacos while you can. I haven't seen a real Mexican restaurant on my China travels.

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Make him join up and read it himself. Enabler...:rolleyes::D

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    But....L.A.:gag:

17. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    If you are ever in New Orleans, you absolutely need to go to Olde NOLA Cookery. Holy Sh!t it was one of the best meals I’ve had in years. Actually everything I ate there was really good, but this topped it off.

https://www.nolacookery.com/

B2D43D76-2624-44FB-A21B-A6678CB25AAB.jpegC7A8BB24-6229-446D-B814-BF5A84EFA38C.jpeg

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Oh hell, I read that wrong. I thought this place was miraculously here in SoCal. :(

19. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Yeah, you can’t get that in SoCal. People try but it’s not the same.

20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Now with images!!!
    IMG_20191229_181242.jpg

scan, konakc, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  21. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Really you could easily hit this after one of your Monroe jaunts..... 15 minutes down there freeway. Don't even have to go near L.A. proper....

22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I happen to make the best grilled steaks and grilled pork chops on the planet, and my wife makes the best tortilla soup and rice casserole on the planet, so my favorite place to eat is at right here at home. The wife also makes a damned fine bowtie pasta, ham casserole, and chicken enchiladas.

Mikie, Oaken, Fueledbyex8 and 10 others like this.
  23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I've too found that our homemade food is better than just about anything from restaurants. Less salt, fat, and no veg oil.

Mikie, Fueledbyex8, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  24. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    At home. Eating at home (for us) = Non-GMO clean Organic food that has little to no preservatives. We rarely eat out and when we do its usually sushi or the vegan taco stand up the street. Occasionally I'll throw caution to the wind and have deep fried everything w/ loads of cheeses and other empty carbs. And I sure pay for it afterwards. Like clockwork within an hour I get congested with a runny nose and a headache. Non-GMO clean organic for the win in my household!

Oaken, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I totally agree. We eat at home and it's way better. Baja Fish Tacos, La Sirena, Starfish, Subway, Z Pizza - it all tastes better when you eat it at home! :thumbsup:

scan, Danmtchl, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  26. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Anyone eating out again? I've gone to a few dine-in spots in this post Covid landscape. It's definitely interesting. A few places will take your temperature at the door and all have required masks. Many places are requiring online reservations in order to get your contact information in the case there is a known case in that restaurant.

27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    We were doing takeout from our favorite place and resumed eating there when they reopened to the public a couple of weeks ago. Employees wear masks. Customers are not required to. Tables are adequately spaced. I feel 100% safe eating there.

28. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    We went to Ventura harbor over the weekend and ate out twice there you have to wear a mask until you sit down. Same applies to here in Bako. I noticed booth seating has plastic partitions now which is good so little ones don’t climb over and stare at you .

29. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    No dine in yet, but Friends Cafe in Tustin seems very clean and well-masked. Their cuben (not a typo) is killer.

30. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    mostly takeouts (Hopdoddy, Bobby Ds, Cortina, Portos, ramen...) but have dined outside while riding along the beach,
    Bear Flag and A Slice of NY Pizza in HB. Very spread out outdoors, should be low risk.

In case you haven't read this excellent article:

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?