What's up with shoes for flats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Feb 1, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yea, dusty, those are the boats I've been riding in. And the shoe I saw today was the Impact VXI, not the Low.

I do think the pedals play into it. Long, thin spikes like on HT pedals seem less forgiving than fatter ones. But yea, sticky is the word with Stealth rubber...

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Actually, the times have changed. There are only one or two world cup DHers who consistently ride flat pedals, and Sam Hill isn't among the top riders anymore. A few will choose flats if it's ultra muddy. CB Mallets (or clip-in equivalent) are the most popular WC DH pedals.

As you mentioned, better balance and more security with your feet on the pedals. It may look "moto" to put your foot out, but your outside pedal has to drop down to do it, unlike a moto, and that changes your suspension, traction and balance.

My .02

mtnbikej likes this.
  3. erjzacher

erjzacher Member

Name:
    Eric Zacher
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer DVO
    I know riding flats is not the most efficient. I've always done it because I like to. I'm also not part of the crowd that's going to try and tell anyone you have to do one thing or another to enjoy riding your bike. I'm just aware that I'm part of a minority group that catches a lot of flak :cry: and I like to point to that out :whistling:. Have fun crushing those downhill sections firmly attached to your single speed rig by the pedals:gag:

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sliding into the tired and predictable flat/clip debate... :bang:

TFPU about shoes for flats. I won't be committing to anything for a bit, so your info on shoes for flats is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup: Shoes for flats :whistling:

herzalot and tortoise like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Wouldn't be Imtb trails without a trainwrecking thread derailment.

Casey Jones you better watch your speed...

What about laces vs. velcro vs. BOA vs sock W/sandals?

Luis, herzalot, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  6. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Been using the Freeriders for a long time. Added bonus last week riding Maple Springs on a cold blustery Friday was the warmth they provided, nice and toasty feet while my friends suffered. Using very thick REI socks as "volume controllers" for my 12.5 feet in size 13 shoes helps too.

mike likes this.
  7. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'd use cleats but I ride bear foot for better shredding.

herzalot, tortoise, mike and 3 others like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Lots of offerings in walkable shoes available these days. Most manufacturers are offering SPD-compatible, Vibram-soled, Gore-tex, hiking shoes/boots, that actually work for cycling. I got tired of carbon-soled hike-a-bikes real quick. Our recent Strawberry adventure would have really sucked without my Shimano XM-7 shoes.

Luis, mike, littlewave and 2 others like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Couple of rock strikes and you'll be shredding for sure!:eek:

10. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I had to paws to think about that.

Truth is I ride Sidi Dominators on M540 spd's.. generally awesome, but I'm not fond of the hard, slippery soles for quick dismounts in rock gardens, traction on wet boulders during stream crossings, or when they're so caked with mud the release is compromised. They can also be so funky when not clipped in I've considered putting stealth rubber under the insteps.

11. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    Perhaps from the norm..but I have been using the Specialized 2FO..very stiff sole, think a tad less grippy than the 510's..but works not as tacky to re-adjust..has a very clean look/simple.

specialized-2fo-flat-mtb-shoe-black-neon-blue-EV222488-8550-2.jpg

bvader, skyungjae, Redman and 3 others like this.
  12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Isn't your weight supposed to be on the outside pedal as you lean into a turn?

Danmtchl and Redman like this.
  13. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I know, I'm just not interested anymore been running flats for years now and quite comfortable with it.

Danmtchl and mike like this.
  14. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    A portion of your weight should be on your outside foot as the apex of your corner. In addition, fully dropping your outside foot to the 6'oclock position is becoming a bit of an aging riding style. In recent years the "preferred method" is to just dip your outside foot at the apex/snap point of the corner to load the suspension and drive the tires into the ground.

Everyone's style is different for sure so there is no "right way". I can say that measuring and changing this had an impact on my riding that I quite like. In addition, being very careful not to enter corners with your outside foot down is important. Doing so actually stands the bike up as you enter the corners which is no bueno. You are way better served to chose the dip/loading point and hitting that spot hard instead of trying to distribute the load through out the entirety of the corner.

This is why the perceived riding style of the newer mtb video's shows people squaring off corners and roosting. This is the prevailing style of the new age of mtb riding.

code3, Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Thank you! As more of a cross-country rider, I have never really focused on my turn technique, and I have a tendency to go into turns too upright so that I can't carry my speed through the turn without over-balancing to the outside. So I end up braking to maintain balance and the whole turn is a lost cause.

I have recently been making an effort to consciously weight the outside foot with the outside pedal in the 6 o'clock position, and it gives me a lot more confidence to really drop the bike low on the inside of the curve. In the past, I would probably drop the inside foot as a confidence builder, but I find that that motion also causes me to maintain a more upright body position than just to commit to the curve and keep my body tucked low. That's the theory I tell myself, at least :)

16. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    No problem. I recommend renting "flow tonic" on google play for 3.99. It's a decent 30 minute video that covers some basics of turning. I usually harass all of the newbies that I bring into the sport to watch it... hell I've watched it with them a few times because everyone needs a refresher.

17. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    I guess I am late to the party. I recently picked up 5:10 kestral (has spd holes). Even though the sole is nice and stiff, I really think a pair of sturdy ankle high Vans with waffle soles are the way to go for my type of riding.

If you are set on a cycling specific shoe @7Mary3 suggestion is what I think of as the ideal shoe.

18. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    I was a fan of the BOA system when I played golf back in the days..is there a company that makes BOA style but flats? I've seen them for clipless shoes, but would be interested if they made BOA for pure flat shoes.

19. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
  20. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    was just reading the PB review... waiting for them to go on sale :)

Danmtchl likes this.
  21. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    those adidas terrex look just about right. I'd like the low top version; will try those next. wierd on their site not all sizes are listed...hope theyre not discontinued!

edit: uhoh just read " Riders with wide feet should look to try a pair on for size before ordering". I have very wide feet.

Danmtchl likes this.
  22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  23. Severum

Severum Member

Name:
    Tyson
    Current Bike:
    2016 Yeti SB5.5
    I had been riding clipped for 14 years before my tragic groin injury. That injury would have been avoided if I had been in flats. Was it freakish and one in a 100? Likely.

However, I am now trying out flats for the first time with the obligatory 5.10's. So far so good. Not getting rid of my time pedals yet!

Danmtchl, mike, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  24. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    4._BoA.jpg

tortoise, Danmtchl and mike like this.
  25. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I recently purchased the Adidas Terex Trail Cross SL. I found 5.10s to be too clunky and not that comfortable. Now that Adidas has purchased 5.10 and these Terex shoes use the 5.10 Stealth rubber, it should open up more new options. I've only done two short rides on the new Terex Cross SL, but they fit better than the 5.10s for me, are less clunky and are very nice. Comfortable to hike or walk in as well with superb traction.
    These: https://adidasoutdoor.com/terrex-trail-cross-sl/IUV85.html?dwvar_IUV85_color=Umber
    BB0714_R34O.jpeg

Danmtchl, mike, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  26. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b

Danmtchl likes this.
  27. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    I have yet to overcome/surpass the oh $hucks factor..many of times flats have saved my l
    Is it stiff?

28. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Tread resurrection please...

My 5ten freeriders are getting tired. They have served me well for heavy flat pedal usage. Where I feel they lack is in their cluncky, loose, and casual feel to them. Feels like I’m wearing puffy skate shoes with stiffer/sticky soles.
    I will stay on flat pedals for the for seeable future and need a new pair of riding shoes. Anyone with experience, ideas, or “I heard a guy talking about X” please chime in. Thanks a bunch.

Cyclotourist, Luis, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I put flats in my gravel bike. The best thing I've found, believe it or don't, is a pair of Nike running shoes I had lying around. No. Really. :thumbsup:

30. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Look at ride concepts hellion or livewire

herzalot, Derek13 and Cornholio like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?