UPS Ediquette?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by mike, Feb 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I dropped off packages at my local UPS. Very customer-focused operation, open 4-5:30 pm, five days a week.

As the nice lady worked through an issue with printing a label from my Bikeflights tracking number, I looked around.

I thought Hey this is @UPSed’s world I’m in here. He lives and loves this. Right then a driver came walking through the cramped, ramshackle “office” (read: place at the end of a conveyor belt). Hey, that could be Ed right here. The lady asks him Hey, how’s your day? He replies It was great until I saw you. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I had to wonder... Caught me off guard but got an audible snicker out of me. I don’t think that would fly at the jobs I’ve had.

Ed??

herzalot, Mikie, MrGreedom and 8 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I find that sarcasm is common place now even at the white collar job positions. There is a right way and time to apply it and a wrong way and time to apply it. There's an art to applying it correctly without offending. I assume that those two see each other frequently. Heck, they might have even been dating or married.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'd guess there's a playful history there... A kafkaesque behind the scenes relationship to which we are not privy. Same vein as when my wife tells me she's on the way home- time to kick out the hookers. :eek:

I've worked a few jobs where the standard greeting was, "Hey- Dumbass!" That's actually the norm in NY... :D

herzalot, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Sounds like it was all in fun? If so it's pretty normal at UPS. Even at our huge hub. After all we are just a bunch of truck drivers. Of course you have to be careful as not everyone likes to play along.

herzalot, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 7 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Of course, this was more documentation of a humorous anecdote than a true inquiry on my part. Rapport is a must for a good working relationship.

One certain account exec was easily the best one I've ever worked with. Knowing people, I imagine some wondering what was up with us two. My boss one day asks us Where are you guys going? She says We were just going to get high. :laugh::thumbsup: No reply, off we went. To do work.

On one construction site, this new laborer came on. After work his first day he offered to fight anyone that wanted to fight. Nobody was motivated to take him up on it, but it sure built up some instant rapport with the derelicts, ex-cons and other vermin I worked with. :cautious:

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    This pic was taken during last peak. The little girl in the middle is our supervisor. She talks like a drunken sailor but she's only 30 and is one of the best supervisors I've had in my 30-year career. On my recent yearly observations ride I introduced her as my daughter. She loved it.

20200205_081739.jpg

Oaken, rossage, herzalot and 15 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Love it! Kicking ass in a man's world. My close observation on foul language in the workplace...it gets results!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Up to a point. And that point is reached very quickly.

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    They're totally doing it.

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Agreed. With us it's management against union employees and there's a very fine line that is very easily crossed. Comes down to respecting each other for who we are and what we do.

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I agree!

What I completely failed at communicating was that a woman working in a man's world can assimilate by showing ability to be "one of the guys." It can break preconceptions and put everyone on the team on a common level. I've seen that at close hand. My lass is an absolute master at approaching the line and getting the best from people. And she is universally loved and respected, despite the uh, transgressions. :cool:

I came from construction, so not having a foul mouth would make one an outcast. Knock that truss back a c-hair. Common vernacular, IME. If you said a millimeter or two you'd get laughed off the site.

12. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    except for the loaders, they dream of driving a truck

13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    And that dream eventually comes true.

Faust29, mike and mountaingirl sara like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    And where's your right hand, Mister?

Oaken, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?