Trail Bell Stations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bvader, Apr 24, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    i should have stopped reading this thread before my timberbell bell fell out :facepalm:

Mikie, mtnbikej, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  2. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Jeopardy word there...

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Runs with Scissors - if they give it to you free, it cancels Einstein's "doing the same thing over expecting different results" maxim. I don't expect different results. I just get a lot more for my original $25.

Here's the answer from last night's unhappy email...

Hey Chris,

I have some interesting news for you. We are wrapping up designs now for the next version... It will feature a completely modular setup so that all of the parts can be replaced, especially the central cable, that can wear out over time.

Making the cable sensitive enough to ring on gentle terrain, while making the product strong enough to stand up to MTB abuse has been our biggest challenge. We’ve hired engineers and experts from all over the world and no one has been able to help us with it. I literally lose sleep every night over this issue.

In the end, we decided that making it a replaceable part was the best solution for now.

So hopefully the answer is near. We expect production to begin on these early in 2022. I’d be happy to get one of the first protos into your hands if you would like to help us test them.

In the meantime, I’d be happy to help you. Would you like a replacement bell, or something else?

Mikie, bvader, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    One of my favorite bumper stickers...

Eschew obfuscation!

Mikie, bvader, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    That's pretty wide open. I'd go big on the ask.

6. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon

What you should do is ask for like 10 protos. I’ll be happy to test one for them.

7. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Gesundheit

Mikie, herzalot, bvader and 2 others like this.
  8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I just use one of these, because I'm a people person. No box required, and pedestrians move out of the way!

horn.jpg

Mikie, herzalot, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Great idea! Just found a use for the extra bottle cage on my Ranger.
    delta-airzound-rechargeable-air-powered-horn-bells-horns-legacy-takeahikeshop-com-230_2048x2048.jpg delta-airzound-rechargeable-air-powered-horn-bells-horns-legacy-takeahikeshop-com-871_2048x2048.jpg

redwoods, Mikie, BonsaiNut and 5 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Arggghhhhh! My eyes! The typos! I'll never buy from them again... :Roflmao

Oh wait... I've already stopped buying from them... They assured me that version 3 was the ticket. :thumbsdown:

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The modular design is interesting... not interesting enough to make me give them more money, though. :stop: I saw that Wolftooth is doing the same with some of their gear. The dropper lever, for example, can now be repaired. Every individual piece is for sale.

That would have been nice to know before I binned mine... :cautious: :poop:

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I am pretty picky, but I'm not seeing typos. Some interesting sentence arrangement, but no typos. OK one. But I fixeded it.

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Don’t loose any sleep over it like he did… :p

And the tense error in the next sentence…

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Wow - pickier than @Runs with Scissors and me!

Mikie, Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    A dangling preposition is something up with which I will not put!

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    In the end…or at least for now. :laugh:

I’d lose sleep too if my flagship product was a shyt design that I poured consultation $ into rectifying in lieu of designing one that works.

The Chinese haven’t put a person on the moon but they created a cheap bike bell that doesn’t self destruct. May some reverse engineering is in order.

Mikie, buggravy and mtnbikej like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    This is why German is so much more elegant than English. Kafka’s “Up in the Gallery” is a couple pages long, but only two sentences in the original. Endless dangling- or “boxing” in German. :inlove:

Although... Being trapped in an endless cycle of failing Timber Bells is more akin to Kafka's "Before the Law"... Or maybe "In the Penal Colony".

18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^This^^^Late to this Bell Party.
    Timber bell sucks and I’m blown away that anyone would buy another, especially after reading this thread! Someone aught to send their customer service a link to this.

I bought a Timberbell and immediately transferred it to CJ’s bike. It’s a pretty sounding bell but the elastic strap allowed it to migrate on my bars.

I’ve had an Awareness Bell for years. Met the guy who made them on a @Tom the Bomb shuttle run over in Santa Barbara (the guy can ride a bike as well!). He was bragging about his Bell and I convinced him to give me one and I would do a product review (That's back in the day when there was an imtbtrails magazine section to the Forum).
    I did the review and a few months later he contacted me and asked me to pull the article as he was overwhelmed with orders! Sweet!

Yeah… it’s loud. But that’s kinda the point. Like @Obsidian had mentioned, I angled the bell opening forward to project the sound more down trail. It’s a little more difficult to use, especially if you are trying to activate it after hitting the descent as you reach the edge of the bell opening and pull the spring loaded CNC’ed clacker off the edge of the bell to activate it. It would be great if he designed a better bar attachment as well. It’s clever as is. A custom stamped Velcro strap that wraps around on itself. It can wear in the sun and I have heard of some losing their bell on the trail. I zip tied mine for security but that makes it not very transferable from bike to bike, but this bell is a lifer.

I always get thank you’s from hikers and equestrians and that really is the bottom line. Trail advocates use bells. It projects to other users we care about them. It helps keep our tread on the trails.
    Just my opinion! :thumbsup:

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Not really opinion - it's nearly incontrovertible fact! Awareness bells (the kind that jingle on their own) save me grief and preserve the flow of my ride EVERY time I use it. If you rely on a thumb actuated bell, you are missing the point. You have to see the other trail user first, then ringing it is basically saying "move over." Much more rude than just a constant jingle that lets someone know there's a bike in the area. OTOH - I have noticed some riders use an external speaker with music to accomplish the same thing. I HATE that, but it's hard for me to explain why a jingling bell is better than annoying music - even if it's a song I like.

As for Timber Bell, if you read my posts, you can see that I did indeed write to customer service to tell them my opinion of their inferior product, and they have made it as right as they can by giving me replacements for free, and pushing them to design a better product. If I ever found another type of bell that I could turn off when I wanted to, I would buy it. In the meantime, my 5th Timber Bell will be arriving Monday. I have purchased two.

20. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I think the Timber Bell is a fantastic idea just poor structural engineering. I wonder if the product was tested with real mountain bikers prior to going to market. If they want to stay in business they are doing you right by replacing and upgrading. I also wonder if they don’t realize that Mountain Bikers “TALK” to each other. Let’s face it word of mouth advertising is by far the best advertising. Or, it can be your downfall. I’m really glad they took care of you. After all, you’re herzalot! :thumbsup::D:p

21. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    in order to understand bells one should understand the Doppler affects on the sound spectrum. I will be learning this again if and when I get back on my bike and ride a popular trail. Trails with switch backs above you are best for this lesson, three or more preferred. The laws of physics will not be violated on my single trac rides.
    Happy trails in the still calm of the twilight

Sasquatch9billion, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  22. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    My Chinese Timberbell knock off is actually louder than the real Timberbell. I will keep using it until it breaks and keep my new Timberbell as backup. Like Herz said ... the on/off switch is why I keep using the Timberbell (at least until something better comes along). I don't want an always on bell and I sure the hell am not going to use a thumb activated bell. $10 for a replacement is not bad (not sure how Chris gets them free, LOL).

That said, I still gave the bastards a one star review on Amazon. :Roflmao

Sasquatch9billion, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I have this weird ability to be treated like an industry insider when it comes to sporting equipment. I'm not sure how. I can always manage moderate to steep discounts on gear, free demos, better than normal warranty service, etc. I'm not quite sure how - mostly I just ask, or utilize some networking.

Example - Free Intense Tracer demo for a week. Bike brought to my door. Then industry insider deal on a new Tracer a year later. Just from asking a guy about the "Intense" label on his button down shirt at a college fair. I started with, "Do you work for Intense? I always wanted to try a Tracer, but I can't get a demo in my size..." The rest just happened.

Example - Free Never Summer 30 day snowboard demo on an unreleased model. Board shipped to my front door. Return shipping paid. I'm a horrible snowboarder. All I did was ask about which board they would recommend for me.

Example - Knolly Ambassador and ambassador pricing, just because I PM'd a guy on STR (@dustybottoms) about trying a Knolly. He brought me a couple of bikes to try for free, then when I decided to buy one, it was steeply discounted and brought to my place of work - and I was made an "ambassador" which meant direct access and discounts.

I have a pair of 2022 Blizzard Bonafides coming to me for $299.

Not bragging, just mystified as to why this keeps happening, just by having a conversation or two and asking. It's not like I own a prestigious MTB forum!

So - thank you Chris from Timber Bell for treating me well. I hope this next version of the bell is functional and reliable.

DangerDirtyD, bvader, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    So, how is this bell holding up?

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  25. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    It is working well so far. I ordered two of the small rubber rings when I got my replacement Timberbell, and those work much better for holding it in place than the one that came with it. It still moves around too much, especially when riding chunky stuff.

herzalot, mtnbikej and UPSed like this.
  26. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    4 Timberbells here and all work but I only turn them on when I expect people or see them coming up on the trail.

mtnbikej and Obsidian like this.
  27. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I bought the bolt on Timber Bell. Too freakin' loud in the wide open setting. :gag:

herzalot, mtnbikej and Obsidian like this.
  28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I just ordered a Timber from Timber direct. Hoping to get the latest generation. We'll see.

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I don't think they are in production on those yet. They said they would send me a prototype when ready, but sent me a current one in the meantime. I'll be curious which they send you.

UPSed likes this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I think that defeats the purpose! :confused:

But I get it. I didn't feel I ever needed to turn it on last Monday - no one around and I wasn't in the lead.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?