Titanium

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faust29, May 1, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The one bike that is making me wonder if a Chameleon will be the next bike in the garage. The Fargo is also available in Titanium.

Timberjack Ti:

f3164d7d-eab4-47ca-8f74-44f8575c6af7.jpg

Grassblade23, Grego, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    When money becomes no object, I'd seriously consider this:
    Screenshot_20170501-121810.png

Grassblade23, Grego, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Well for the cost of the frame.....you ciare I'd have a complete Chameleon with some upgrades.

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm with J on the prices they are asking for these Ti frames, outrageous!

The Ti Timberjack was released today and every single one of them was already spoken for by the bikes shops (from what I read elsewhere).

5. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    My punk rock side definitely wants to love TI but the engineer side of me knows that carbon is the right medium. Titanium definitely has a certain ride quality to it that makes it feel a lot like steel. That being said, some of the new carbon frames do a pretty stellar job of being compliant in the directions where we want them to be, but stiff elsewhere. I gotta say for the price/performance I think I'd chose carbon over ti. If you're in the market for a TI frame, you owe it to yourself to compare it back to back with a carbon frame.

Hate to be that guy... but I'd buy the one that rides best. All of the bikes I've seen you mention (Timerjack, Honzo, Chameleon) are similar but have some varied geometry characteristics that are going to make them feel pretty different from one another. I'd just start test riding and one of these is going to sing to you.

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Looks good, like a very fun ride.

Tough decision!...

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That's the Timberjack above... I'm sure they will be in short supply in the beginning until the pent up demand levels off. I will go with the aluminum Chameleon, but damn that Ti is sexy. :eek:

8. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I often wonder what a frame made of Unobtainium would sell for...
    I am well aware of the TJ's lines, I recognized it instantaneously. I own an aluminum one. :whistling:

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It will be an aluminum Chameleon, at least while the kids are in college. My draw to titanium is the similarity to steel and the longevity. When you see 10+ year old titanium frames that look showroom new, that's pretty cool... :unsure:

I had hoped my steel el Mariachi would be a long term bike, but that wasn't the case...

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ok, sorry... I thought I might have fooled you with all the sexy Ti accoutrements.

I'm not a drop bar MTB guy, but even the Fargo looks pretty sweet in Ti. Although I wouldn't go with the retro tires.

86bf3c71-2c57-46e7-83e2-c63901e89d18-1.jpg

mike, Grassblade23 and SnakeCharmer like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Weel, I can say that the HT looks to be straight, not tapered on the Ti TJ, and that the union where the seat stays and the seat tube meet is not as substantial as it is on the aluminum version. So, there is a few differences.

Faust29 likes this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

As keep big as SC keeps replacing my frame, I'll be happy.

With that said....I could see a Ti frame as a long term investment. They are not but a new one each year kinda item.

Faust29 likes this.
  13. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    That is a 44mm HT, and will accept tapered or straight steerers, dependent on headset choices.

Faust29 and SnakeCharmer like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yes, just like my vintage Pivot Mach 429 alloy frame which is still available, BTW. :whistling:

Grassblade23 likes this.
  15. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have owned, Ti, Al, and carbon bikes. I currently have a 2013 Specialized Roubaix carbon, a 1990 Merlin Ti mtb and an aluminum 2016 Santa Cruz Highball.
    Obviously, for longevity, the Merlin is the winner. Unfortunately, it has been left behind by technology and is relegated to commuter duties.
    The Roubaix is the finest riding bicycle I have ever owned. It is totally refined, handles exquisitely, and...dare I say...it.is stiff yet compliant. Carbon rules for road bikes.
    My aluminum Highball has to be the most cost-effective, fun machine, I have ever ridden. I bought this frame after breaking my carbon Stumpjumper in a car crash.
    Funds were tight and the alloy frame fit the bill. The geo is spot on and I ride the hell out of it, rigid and suspended.
    Take your pick, just ride the hell out of it!

Special shout out to the steel lovers...my first mtb was a cro-moly '86 Stumpjumper followed by a Ritchey Ascent Comp.

16. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Wow, all that and no mention of bamboo bike frames? I sense an imbalance in the Force. ;)

Grassblade23 likes this.
  17. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    I've been craving a Ti bike for a few decades, but I've never had the money to buy one. Those Salsas look sweet, and I like some of the spec details, (Matching a Brooks Cambium natural with skinwall Ardents is a nice touch.) I was sad I missed a chance to get one of the US Made Mariachi Ti frames. For what Kona charges for their Lynskey made frames, you could get a custom Lynskey made the way you want it, and save a bundle. As carbon improves and becomes cheaper, Ti makes less sense. But I still want one. Someday... Besides, until they start making carbon weave in colors other than yellowy-black, it will never be as pretty as Ti.

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    If ti is the material of choice, I would consider a Carver bike because of the price, and because custom geo costs no more than standard (just takes more time):

http://carverbikes.com/frames/custom-titanium/

Has the sizing scheme for the new crop of Salsa bikes kept with the traditional El Mariachi sizing? Thanks for helping a lazy mf out if you know.

mtnbikej and Grassblade23 like this.
  19. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    I know that bent top tube is practical and gives more stand over, but it irritates that traditionalist side of my personality. Seem like good bikes though. That All-Road looks fun and versatile.

mike likes this.