Tire combo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kingaucho, Dec 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    I know there have been a lot of discussions re: tires and was looking for some input. Looking to put something a little lighter with less rolling resistance on my Ripmo. I am currently running Assegai front and DHR II in back. I have two tires here at home that I can use - Hans Dampf (2.4) and Butcher (2.3). I’m thinking of moving DHR to front and using the Hans Dampf in the back. The rim is 35, so a little wide. What do you guys think?

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    My understanding is the Assegai has a sh*t ton of grip....but you pay for it in rolling resistance.

The DHRII is an OK rear tire....again hooks up, but not a great roller.

Since you already have the other 2 tires, give'em a try....worse case you don't like them. Then you can try something else.

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD, tick and 3 others like this.
  3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    In the tubeless era, picking a tire feels like such a commitment, all that goo to clean up if you change your mind...but I think the proposed swap is worth a try.

How about picking a lighter sidewall? I kind of feel like the Ripmo deserves max traction on the front, but I don’t know that many of us drive hard enough every day to justify EXO+.

4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Try the Bontrager XR4, similar to a Minion but rolls a lot faster IMO. I have a set of Minions and they seem to only hook up after a good rain. Again this is based on my experience riding in my area.

scan, mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  5. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    What I’m currently running:

2.5wt DHF front
    2.4wt Dissector rear

I recently swapped a 2.4wt DHRII rear for the Dissector and am pretty happy with it. The DHRII was a bit of an anchor but I do notice the difference in DH braking but the lighter rear tire on the climbs was a bigger benefit. I do notice the Dissector wearing a bit fast but makes sense with the smaller knobs compared to the lego blocks on the DHRII.

(My rims are 29mm internal)

I recently gave @Poofighter my DHRII and I think he was going to try it on the front, I don’t have any experience with it up front though. Maybe try the HD on the front and leave the DHRII on the rear if you are just using what you have. That Assegai is pretty hefty and I’d probably only run one for park riding.

6. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Fo sure.. assegai.. weight penalty.. got used to it.. but will go lighter...dhf n dissector n or aggressor....maybe.. dare I say go to ardents in the rear???
    Or go 2.3 vs 2.5 fo rear...

Fueledbyex8 and Danmtchl like this.
  7. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    My ripmo currently asseg 2.5 both frnt n rear..
    Grippy but I still crash...

8. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Thanks for the suggestions. Going to try Assegai front and Butcher in back. I want to try combos of tires I already have before spending $ for other stuff.

Danmtchl likes this.
  9. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Holy crap! You crazy! LOL

Old&InTheWay and Danmtchl like this.
  10. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    2.5 DHFs front and rear are working well for me. My front will need to be replaced soon, and I have heard really good things about the Assegai, but it's a lot heavier than the DHF so I'll probably just go with another DHF up front. I can't see adding weight to my bike unless there's a significant benefit.

11. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I've ran the DHR in the front with good results. Both with a Highroller II and an Aggressor in the back. If I had to pick from your choices.... DHR in the front, Assegai in the back. Shred the gnar!

12. senderos_949

senderos_949 Member

Name:
    Randy Morris
    Current Bike:
    Marin Mt Vision Pro
    I rented a stock Ripmo AF (Assegai front and back) in Sedona last spring and they felt a bit heavy and sluggish IMO. Supremely confident traction but the trails I rode weren't that extreme but had lots of chunk and many short/quick ups and downs so the bike weight (including tires) became noticeable as the ride wore on. I did notice some tire flop in very slow, technical sections so wondering if that's the bike's geo or the heavier front tire(?).
    FWIW: I run 2.5 DHF up front with a 2.3 Aggressor in rear and that combo seems a good balance. Tried a 2.3 DHR 2 on the back for a few rides and just didn't work for me at all on local trails. Besides being slower, it just rode "skinny" - seeming to find/fall into ruts that the Aggressor motors around/over so I tend to be leery of tall knob front tires on the back. I do know someone that runs a 2.5 DHR up front and prefers it over DHF so maybe DHR front and H Dampf rear?

Addendum: I'm still on fairly narrow rims so that creates a v round tire profile which may explain why a tall knobbed rear (like a DHR) tends to fall into ruts on my bike. On a wide rim (with lower pressure), the tire profile would be flatter so should work much better.

13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    In my constant search for a light-weight, fast rolling, immense-braking-and-cornering-traction, sturdy, reliable rear tire, I am seeking your input on the following:

Kenda Hellkat Pro (ATC or AGC): https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/bicycle/downhill-gravity/hellkat-pro/
    Bontrager SE5: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...m-issue-tlr-mtb-tire/p/34493/?colorCode=black
    Bontrager SE6: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...m-issue-tlr-mtb-tire/p/34494/?colorCode=black
    Maxxis Minion DHR (EXO+): https://shop.maxxis.com/collections/mountain/products/minion-dhr-ii

Voodoo Tom, Old&InTheWay and Danmtchl like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have never ridden 3 of these tires. I am not a fan fan of the Minions either. But I’d like to hear some feedback on the Bonty’s

Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I have the Kenda Hellkat ATC on the back of the Bug right now, and it provides the braking and cornering traction I need to stay upright, and it is the lightest of the bunch that I listed. I feel the Minion DHR rolls slightly better, but it is heavier so I'm not sure if the trade-off is equal. My last ride on the Minion DHR resulted in a blown sidewall and bead on a nothing feature after only 20 miles, but that likely was bad luck. I, too, am curious about the Bontys, especially the new SE6, which resembles the Hellkat.

Faust29, Danmtchl and Old&InTheWay like this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo

Danmtchl likes this.
  18. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
  19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Wait? So you have crashed on Bonty's? o_O

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I haven't looked at Kenda tires since......2012'ish.

21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    And slow rolling Nevegal for the win!

22. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  23. solislbc

solislbc Well-Known Member

Name:
    El
    Current Bike:
    2001 GT Zaskar
    I’m enjoying the assegai in the front. Been running an aggressor 2.3. It’s fast and climbs great with just enough grip. Pointed down, the aggressor lacks some grip and at times I don’t feel like I have the speed control in certain sections of trail ie the chute on hawk at oaks. I tried a dhr in the back and it felt like I was climbing with the rear brake on.

just ordered a 2.5 aggressor for the rear. Knobs are taller than the 2.3 but not as aggressive as the dhr. Hopefully a happy middle ground.

Also been looking at the continental projeckt 2.4 der baron front der kaiser rear . Anyone ever try these? Seems to be a lot more open space between knobs on the baron vs the assegai. Kaiser has ramped center knobs and wondering how well it climbs.

Faust29, Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  24. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I vote for the Maxxis Rekon…

Faust29, Danimal, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm an outlier. I just put 35mm Panaracer Gravel King SKs on the Sutra. Hope to find out how they perform this weekend.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Voodoo Tom like this.
  26. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Since you asked about gravel tires I’m gonna say I’m impressed with the Specialized Rhombus pro 42 that came on the gravelish thing I bought. For a skinny tire they grip incredibly well and they roll way better than a tire with tread should and they show no wear after several hundred miles. I have no idea what they weigh but if they were available in a 2.4-2.6 width they would be a unicorn tire for @DangerDirtyD .

Danimal, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Agreed. If you're going to throw "light" into the equation, then the Rekon is your tire.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Voodoo Tom like this.
  28. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Danmtchl, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  29. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I’ve been apprehensive and haven’t returned, but I won’t rule it out if @Bettis or Dante or @Faust29 wanna give it a whirl. It’s no place for a Rekon with me at the helm @Voodoo Tom @UPSed. I agree the Rekon is light and fast, but it slips under hard cornering and/or braking. I’ll keep one mounted on the rear of the Rumblefish for milder terrain for sure.

30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I would suggest the Rekon for 95% of the riders out there. @DangerDirtyD falls into the other 5%. :Roflmao

Although you couldn't pay me to run a DHRx again, why not just go that route, D? Isn't it the gold standard?

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?