Tips for SLO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rumpled, Nov 7, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I'm leaving for SLO tomorrow. Leaving SLO on Monday AM.

I'm going up for a CX race, which I thought was Sat/Sun but is only Sun.
    They are going to do a 40ish mile gravel ride on Sun; but I'll bail on that since I'm bringing my dogs.

The race is at El Chorro Regional Park (a bit outside of town near the prison and Cuesta College) and I'll be camping there as well with my two dogs.
    I'll just bring my CX bike.

I've been to SLO a few times and have liked the area and even the downtown a lot.

I'm looking for tips on sports bars, breweries, and restaurants and such that might have outdoor patios and welcome dogs. Would like to watch a few games on Sat and Sun evening.

Or, other must see/do places.

Whatca got?

Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  2. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Firestone Grill is awesome to chill and have a decent meal and watch a game and have a beer and also remember them being dog friendly. There's a bunch of breweries up there that are pretty good. I really like Mr. Pickle's for a sandwich shop. There's tons of stuff to just hit if you walk around downtown and I would say most all of it is pretty good. Everything I've found on Yelp up there is solid and you can search dog friendly restaurants and get a bunch of results. Quite a few of the small restaurants seem to rotate through every time I go up there, even though the food is good they don't make it. I did 4 weeks up there for HazMat certs.

There's a bunch of hikes and outside stuff to do. I honestly just enjoy walking Higuera St. and just people watching and relaxing. There's not a ton of other stuff to do there, but plenty to eat and plenty of outdoors.

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and Rumpled like this.
  3. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Danmtchl likes this.
  4. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Ride the trail network accessible behind Costco in SLO starting with the Froom Creek trail. It's close, convenient and a great network. Chunky.

5. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I’ve never ridden there but have seen guys bombing down the trails when I was at Costco. I’ve wonder if the trails were good.

Danmtchl likes this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    They are good. Thats Irish Hills and the farther you get back and up into those hills, the better the trails get.

AKAKTM, CBone and Danmtchl like this.
  7. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Ridden SLO many times and there is a lot of great riding out there. My Favorite is still MDO. Done Johnson Ranch to Irish Hills a lot lately. TV Towers or Cuesta ridge is another. Madonna mountain is a solid climb and fun ride back down.

CBone and SnakeCharmer like this.
  8. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I need to go check that place one of these days.

I like riding MDO (Barranca) and the trails behind Cal Poly (Morning Glory, Shooters).

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  9. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I ended up only riding at El Choreo park at the CX race.
    Weather was fine 78 or so for highs and 48-50 or so at night. I enjoyed the heater in my trailer
    Couldn't make it in to Firestone, but did manage on Sunday. Tri tip was very good.
    Having my dogs with me and being the sole human in my party makes things a bit tougher.
    Libertine brewery was dog welcoming and I found parking close by. That was tricky on Fri and Sat evening.
    It's a sour brewery, not my favorite. They have one brewed with ocean water. I could really taste it.
    Sunday went to Morro Bay. Dogs got some beach play in, walked around the big rock, spotting otters and sea lions. Then had some calamari and a brew on a deck. An enjoyable day.

I will have to go back more often and get some riding in. I like the area. Pismo and area needs more exploring as well.

10. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I go to Pismo/SLO several times a year and camp for week during July. Usually ride 5 of 7 days I am there. Let me know if you want to go riding when you are in the area.

Rumpled, CBone and DangerDirtyD like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Tips for SLO?

Ride up a hill behind me!

(b'dump bump)

Rumpled and SnakeCharmer like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?