Thoughts on Motobecane/BikesDirect bikes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricekrispyota, Jul 7, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    Has anyone ever purchased a Motobecane bike or bikes from BikesDirect? My son is finally at the point where I want to get him a bike he won't outgrow in two months, but I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount. With all of his extra curricular activities, he will only have a moderate amount of riding time, 1-2 days per week.

He is currently riding my old 2012 Ellsworth Moment. 5'10 and 160lb 15 year old. I was looking at the Motobecane HAL Boost s12 29er. The spec looks good, just not to sure on the frame.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Faust29, Mikie, BonsaiNut and 2 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Mikie likes this.
  3. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Probably find some detractors, but I've purchased a cruiser and three friends purchased MTB's, and all were good values and durable. The only downside I've heard about is lousy CS if you have a problem which wasn't a consideration for my friends.

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I have purchased two and feel they were (at the time) a very good value for the money. In both cases, however, I purchased the most expensive bikes they had available - and priced out the components as if I were building the bike from scratch. They no longer appear to offer the highest end drive trains or brake sets, but it may still be a good deal as an "intermediate" bike - which frankly is more bike than many / most riders need.

A couple of comments; first - even though they might describe a bike as an "XTR build" any component they don't specifically call out with brand name and model number you can assume is going to be very low-end. For example, a bike called an "Shimano XT" model might have XT drive train and XT brakes, but might not have an XT wheelset, and the wheelset might be a known brand, but a very low end model. Second - it is not at all difficult to put the bike together when it arrives, but you will be happier if you are the kind of person who fiddles with their bike and knows how to adjust everything to get it dialed in exactly how you like it. If you don't know how to fit your bike, you might find yourself wanting to go to a bike store... and bike stores are understandably down on servicing Motobecane bikes :)

I found that, due to the great prices I received, I could keep 90% of the components and trade out the things I didn't like, and still end up saving a ton of money - particularly if you carry over some things (saddle, bars, etc) from an older bike. I had no quality issues whatsoever with either of the frames... which is honestly the only proprietary/private label parts of the bikes. Would I buy from them again? Yes... however I have started building my bikes from scratch in order to get exactly what I want. My son (6'6") still rides my large Motobecane 29er. It is a little small for him... but he doesn't know it :)

fantom294by4-xtr11-21.jpg

5. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg

That’s the type of info I’m looking for. Thank you.

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Excellent reply! :thumbsup:

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    There is value in BD/Motobacon bikes.....but generally they are a bit behind, especially when it comes to geometries.

Like @BonsaiNut eluded to above.....really, and I mean really read the description and component spec. Keep in mind that the "comparative" bikes that they use are generally better bikes. BD has been widely known in the industry as skirting the truths in advertising.

Don't expect any after dealer support.....and remember, you get what you pay for.

I'd say if you are easy on your equipment, or don't ride much....you'd probably be ok. Otherwise, I'd look into a solid used bike.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?