Thinking to upgrade my fork...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaime, Feb 22, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    I'm thinking to upgrade my current fork (rockshox revelation RL 140mm) for this one, I've been in the mtb sport for about 2 years, honestly I don't know a lot of specs or tech stuff, so please give me a hand here... thanks !!
    <a class="postlink" href="http://m.jensonusa.com/Fox-32-Talas-150-CTD-Fit-26-Fork-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://m.jensonusa.com/Fox-32-Talas-150 ... -Fork-2014</a>

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Might I ask what you do not like about your Revelation? What bike will it go on? 26, 27.5 or 29? Where do you ride? Where do you want to ride? How much do you weigh?

I don't really see that Fox as an upgrade. 32 mm stanchions on both. 15mm thru-axle on both. Similar quality travel and adjustability, I assume. 10 more mm of travel may or may not make a slight difference, depending on axle to crown length (longer a-c will yield a slacker head angle).

The Fox is a TALAS, so it has an adjustable ride height, which might help with climbing. But I doubt your 140mm travel Revelation is causing troubles with climbing. I have had many adjustable travel forks and I have always found them to be virtually unnecessary. The bike always feels heavier and bogged down in the lower travel mode (Yeti 575 and Knolly Endorphin).

If you need to upgrade, save your ducats and upgrade to a Pike, a Marzocchi 350, a Manitou Mattoc or just have Garageworks or someone rebuild your Revelation.

My .02...

3. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    well, I weight 230lbs my rides menu are a few, since my schedule is to work on the weekends and have mon-tues- mornings to ride and once in a while on an afternoon before going to work, fullerton, skyline in corona, once in a while sycamore, but for sure this year want to try skyline in Big Bear and those epics rides mikie and gang do, my bike is a spec stump FS comp, wheel 26 the revelation is 9mm QR, and no it does not give me problems climbing. by rebuild you mean service? now that I'm thinking about it, every ride I need to pump like 15psi on the lower valve of the fork and in the rear I pump like 20-40psi after a ride, it doesnt matter if is it fullerton loop which is and easy one, meaning no big drops and mostly flat, or skyline on my backyard, which is climbing and on the way down is fast and a couple of drops. my guys from jenson said it would be around $100 for fork and shock service. I think its a good price.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?