The weather no one is telling you about...

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Aug 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Incorrect. In this usage it refers to ocean temps.

Mikie likes this.
  2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I am talking about the etymology of the term. Mexican peasants weren't sitting around at Christmas saying... hmmm... big storms... I'll bet it's caused by warm ocean temps. Instead they called it "El Nino" because they said the storms foretold the coming of the Christmas season and the birth of the Christ child (El Nino).

That's just the history. I'll bet no one has asked climatologists to explain why a condition of warm surface temps in the Pacific is called "The Boy".

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Their answer would be "because it refers to the Christmas storms off the Mexican coast."

But the average climatologist would be honest and say that climate is not, and never has been, static. Weather is not climate.

4. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Oh, we're talking about it. Have barely had the windows open since sometime in June.

But if you're asking why the the powers that be aren't talking about it, perhaps it's because they decided to claim that droughts were caused by climate change. A president and a governor decreed that our droughts (which scientists say may actually be normal) were caused by said climate change. But the computer models (feel free to argue the veracity of those) say California will get wetter. So perhaps we're actually experiencing that. But the politicians, having hitched their wagon to the link between droughts and climate change, are unsure what to do now, so they keep their mouths shut.

But this humidity is the worst I've experienced in 24 years living in California. And it sucks. If it's going to be this humid, the least it could do is rain once in a while.

5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Peru and Ecuador, not Mexico.

tick likes this.
  6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Climate scientists have been talking about this stuff a lot...for years. Still do if you pay attention to science discussions (I regularly listen to science related programming, actual science though) and it is talked about all the time.

Derkderkall and UPSed like this.