The "I had my knee replaced" thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Mar 15, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    N0, I have not had my knee replaced (yet) and I don't know why. I used to jump out of planes in the military, and I still run a Sh!t ton of trail miles. However, I just spent the day in the hospital today while my wife (a prior figure skater) had her knee completely replaced. We knew it was coming - she had had knee surgery when she was 19 - but it was still an ordeal.

So share your knee replacement stories! If they're positive, I'll pass them on to my wife :)

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Just don't let her be a wimp - do the PT. My wife has had both replaced; the first one she didn't follow the rules and it took a long time to recover. Second one she did, and was over it in about 4 months.

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Long road ahoe...good luck!

mtnbikej and BonsaiNut like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Here's what I love about 'merica. I absolutely know and understand what you're saying. But the proper expression would be "long row to hoe". I know this because I grew up in corn country where a long row to hoe was just that.

Now in SoCal, a long road ahoe has me envisioning an all-night drive through multiple truck-stops... with their inherent pleasures/dangers :)

herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    That would be Holt Avenue through Pomona/Ontario.

I was educated on the proper expression thanks to this here community of Hooligans/gals. https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/its-gonna-be-a-long-road-ahoe-a-loooong-road-ahoe.2075/#post-11437 Not quite a knee replacement, but if it helps your wife to relate at all, I was prescribed no weight bearing on operated leg for 12 weeks and lived to tell the tale.

Also, figure skaters are bad ass!

BonsaiNut and Runs with Scissors like this.
  6. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Late to the game on my response but it is ALL GOOD NEWS. I'm at 5+ months post replacement and doing wonderful. I still attend PT once a week (started at 3X/week) and I should be completely done in 2 weeks. I will continue my current PT regimen at home as most people continue to heal and improve for a year.

I can give you tons of info if needed. There will most likely be multiple freaky pain episodes but they all pass within a week or so - everyone is different. The basics are absolutely NO knee pain. I've been riding since December. The surrounding muscles were certainly sore at the beginning but not the knee. I am still walking 2 miles a day and I'm only limited by my other bad knee. I went back to work on week 7, tough but manageable. The key was constant, thorough PT with LOTS of hamstring & calf stretching in my situation.

I'll be happy to PM as much info as you want. Good luck to your wife!

herzalot, CBone, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?