Sizing up!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 45acpguy, Aug 25, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer Enduro
    Wanted a new 29er and decided on the Trek Slash 9.8 about two weeks ago. I’m just over 5’10” with my riding shoes and have a 31.5” inseam. I assumed a medium frame was going to be perfect for me. However, the cockpit felt slightly cramped. I had to roll the bars pretty far out and push the saddle to the maxed rear position. I went back to Trek and demoed the large frame and it felt much more comfortable. Surprisingly, the stand over height wasn’t dramatically different between the M and L size frames, as neither offered me much room and I obviously wasn’t dropping down to a small.

So... I opted to size up to the large frame. The stock dropper was a bit too tall though. I swapped out the Bontrager (440mm x 150mm) dropper with the OneUp (345mm x 120mm) dropper. Excellent fit now! I can slam it down and get the saddle plenty low, enough that I can get my feet flat on the ground but still provides me the perfect pedaling/climbing height.

I threw on a few more upgrades (X01 cranks, X01 cassette, XX1 oil slick chain, OneUp carbon bars, OneUp composite pedals, grips, Ergon saddle). I absolutely dig this bike! I feel the wider wheel base of the large frame offers me a bit more stability and lets me plow through the trail with a bit more confidence. Has anyone else found “sizing up” was the right choice for them?

65938B53-EFBF-4F69-BE11-B4DF849953BC.jpeg

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Wow, nice rig! :cool::thumbsup:

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Sick bike...:thumbsup: At your height I would think you'd be on a large for most bikes. I'm about an inch shorter than you and pretty much always prefer a large frame over a medium. It boils down to personal preference. Too bad you can't get away with that 150mm dropper though as that extra bit of drop is sure nice.

herzalot, Faust29, shawndoh and 4 others like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Damn, sweet bike, Dave. Congratulations!

Every new FS bike I’ve gotten in the last ten years has been bigger than the previous. Same with every HT except for one that was too big.

For me it’s been a natural progression starting with BMX bikes. Build skills and apply to more bike. I’m about topped out as far as what I want to ride, so my bike size won’t grow from this point on, in fact could shrink a little based on preferred riding and terrain.

5. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer Enduro
    If Trek didn’t have that kink in the seat tube, the 150mm dropper may have worked just fine.

mountaingirl sara and Danmtchl like this.
  6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @45acpguy that is a beauty! congrats!!!!!

7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Congratulations @45acpguy ! I have a 2013 Slash 9 (now my back-up bike) that has very few similarities to the bike you feature. I’ve always been curious about how the 29er Slash rides.

BTW, we have the same wheels!

8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Congratulations on the new ride!! I too bought a new Trek (Fuel EX) and the size is too small compared to my old frame. I am also 5’10 with a 30 inch inseam. So I need a long TT. According to their site a large has a 24.92 TT. That’s not even close. Its and an inch short of their measurements. Love the bike, but it’s too small for my liking.

9. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    I wouldn't have considered sizing up either. I'm the same height and almost always roll a large, or 56.
    Glad you figured it out, either way.

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Beauty and a Beast! Nice bike. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl and 45acpguy like this.
  11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Conversely, that kink and the angle it creates will help get the seat out of your way by sliding more forward as it lowers. Maybe a similar effect, or at least a negligible compromise? Either way, it's a great looking bike. I'd MUCH rather be on a bike that borders on too big than the other way around.

Danmtchl and 45acpguy like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Until I bought my XXL Santa Cruz, I was blissfully unaware of the size dilemma the rest of the mt biking universe faces. I always just bought the biggest size available. No thinking necessary. Until about 2015, there were entire brands that didn't offer a size that would work for me (Pivot, Santa Cruz, Ibis) because their XL bikes were still way too short in the effective top tube (reach) category, so decision making was that much easier. I feel for you guys and gals who are between sizes, but yeah, I would say going slightly larger is almost always the better call, especially in this era of low standover height.

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and Voodoo Tom like this.
  13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Yea well, I trend toward sizing smaller, so there!

herzalot likes this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yes. Yes you do. And it doesn't seem to negatively impact you, although I'm not sure you've ever ridden a bike that fits.

mtnbikej and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thats why you should consider that smaller size brokini!

DangerDirtyD likes this.