Safe Flat Trails in LA Area

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by verdugist, Jan 19, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  2. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    1) Take Victory Blvd all the way west until it ends. Those trails are less hilly than most, but not totally flat.

2) Sycamore Canyon (at Point Mugu CG) in Ventura. Ride from the beach inland. About as flat as flat gets in SoCal.

Sasquatch9billion and verdugist like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Do you mean something like the Santa Ana River Trail? I think the paved section is 30 miles right now... From Huntington Beach to the Riverside County line.

I've only ridden it a couple times. It's paved and flat...

Sasquatch9billion and verdugist like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Santa Fe Dam area by the 605/210. Paved bike path from Azusa to Long Beach. Mtb trails in the flats near the dam and alongside the paved trail in spots.

5. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I mean in the Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena vicinity. Where there are no cars. When I see these road bikers in my area, I get nervous. Vancouver (downtown even) had a separate real bike lane with a median separating it from the car lanes. That's badass.

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Don't forget to tell him that people have been attacked/robbed/killed/murdered along the SART. That oughta make him feel real safe.

At least there are no mtn Lions there.

7. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    The closest thing to that are these sweet-ish lanes in Temple city. I don't see much use for it unless you live along that 8 block stretch and don't want to go anywhere else.

http://la.streetsblog.org/2014/05/2...ay-on-beautiful-rosemead-blvd-in-temple-city/

The San Gabriel River trail/Rio Hondo that @rossage mentioned is the closest. Interesting riding and people watching on the weekends.

Faust29 and verdugist like this.
  8. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Mtn lions are rational (unless they're sick I guess). Gangs may not be, I'm not dealing with that. Virginia was so safe compared to LA. South OC (at least Irvine) was safe too.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Faust29 likes this.
  10. verdugist

verdugist Guest

11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Mountain lions are not rational. They operate on instinct.

If they're hungry and you're available they will eat you. They won't stop and think "maybe the there's a really tasty deer I just can't see yet."

Faust29, verdugist and mtnbikej like this.
  12. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Based on my experience, like most other animals, mtn lions perform risk analysis (or at least that's what I think). If you run at a mtn lion, I guarantee you it will move. They do not like being surprised. Based on the book I read, mtn lions typically attack humans if they're young, old, hungry or sick. One hiker in my area told me that mtn lions attack when they have been displaced from their home range by, for example, fires.

And that 2nd comment you made is probably correct, that's why there are more attacks on humans in the west side of Vancouver Island b/c supposedly there are not much deer there.

13. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Name:
    AKA:Alan
    How about Griffith Park? From there you can also ride the LA River south.

14. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Yup ^^^^this^^^^

As a bonus you can practice sprinting past the homeless encampments. Good for building your cardio. They're called intervals.

doublewide, Cyclotourist and LLPoolJ like this.
  15. erjzacher

erjzacher Member

Name:
    Eric Zacher
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer DVO
    If you are ever near the Antelope Valley (still part of LA county) there is always the Aqua Duct. It goes for miles and is completely flat. As far as I know it's pretty safe too. I've never heard of anyone being attacked/ robbed/ killed/ murdered while using it.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  16. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    If it's flat and easy to get to for a LARGE part of the population, there will be all kinds of wonderfulness going on there. In other words, it will be a sh!t show in a sh!thole. The only reason there are open spaces near LA that are not overrun would be because they are more difficult to access. The fact that mountain biking in steep terrain is difficult is the only reason you can get away from crowds in those places.

Runs with Scissors likes this.