Rwanda 50 mile ride in OC 4/30/16

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by verdugist, Jan 3, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Mikie likes this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've done it the last 3 years, and it's a fun time. The 25 mile route has changed a little for this year, but they haven't announced the 50 mile version yet... If it's the same O'Neill + Caspers loop as years past, it's a good choice for your first 50 miler. The climbing is spread out and there's nothing technical.

I'll be on Catalina that day for the Gran Fondo.

Edit: There are ride reports on the forum from previous events. Note that they are not starting and ending at Oakley this time around. They are starting from the office district near (maybe at?) the old Cox facility. Last year's ride had 1200 people, and two pretty bad crashes... Don't be one of those!

Mikie and verdugist like this.
  3. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Hi Faust, thanks for replying. I looked at the route (or maybe it was just the overview details?) that my neighbor sent me and it was ~6000ft elevation gain which is double my typical max, so I was deterred by the training that would be required for the 50 miler. But if the climbing is spread out then maybe it's not too bad.

I'd like to get paid for these events, instead you have to pay for admission and then pay for an optional bike shirt which is very expensive as well. But I'm no pro so shouldn't be complaining....

Plus seems strange both those events (Catalina and Rwanda) are happening same dates....

Faust29 likes this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

Rwanda is a charity ride... And it's one charity that I've enjoyed giving to. Their results are tangible. They have billed themselves as a friendly ride over the years, which attracts a lot of beginners and very casual riders. Catalina is a race, with almost 9000 feet of gain. A completely different animal...

If they didn't fall on the same day, I would do both. But, the Rwanda ride is on the trails that I ride all the time. The 25 mile version is my go-to quickie ride from the house.

Mikie and verdugist like this.
  5. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  6. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    I'll be riding with the TA's this year - we'll have some riding the 10/25 and then the rest of us going for 50.

Faust29, Mikie, verdugist and 2 others like this.
  7. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    I rode this year's 25 mile route on Saturday. I like the new route ... a lot. Vista and water works are both trails that I'd never ridden before. I'll be riding this route again just to do those.
    The chain cleaning station makes more sense after having ridden the route, it would be just after the last of 7 steam crossings. My chain needed some serious cleaning after this ride.

Mikie, Grego, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yep... I rode the 25 mile version last week, and it's my normal quickie route. I usually avoid some of the sandy sections, though...

If anyone wants a pre-ride for the Tijeras section or the Caspers Loop, maybe we can arrange something. :thumbsup:

BeckTrex likes this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The 50 mile route is now official... 47 miles and 5,400 feet. A few miles shorter, and 1000 feet less climbing, which is explained by the route starting and ending in RSM instead of the Oakley HQ.

I won't be doing the event this year, as it falls on the same day as the Catalina Gran Fondo. If anyone needs a pre-ride, however...

10. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I just signed up for this with a couple of buddies. Anyone else doing it? I've never ridden any of the proposed trails. It all looks pretty mellow. 5K over 50 miles isn't bad.

Mikie likes this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I may come by for the raffle....but won't be doing the ride.

Mikie likes this.
  12. H2oChick

Name:
    K-Oss
    I'll be riding with a few gals on the Trail Angel team. I've done the route but broken up into a couple rides and I really like the trails and course they have laid out. My only hesitation will be the start and the single/double track up to Live Oak; cram lots of people who have a different agenda than mine (ride safe and enjoy the event).
    We will be doing our last "training" ride this weekend to make sure everyone will make the cut-offs up to Caspers.

Mikie likes this.
  13. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I'll probably be there doing the 25 again this year. My longest rides have been just under 30 miles like Cannell type stuff so I am not ready for a 50 miler. Been wanting to up my mileage but with a baby and a minimum of 50 hours of work per week it's tough. At least that's my excuse for not riding the 50. :(

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  14. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Just do the 50! It's an easy 50, hell I did it on a single speed last year and I suck! so if you can do 30 you should be good.

Mikie and Cornholio like this.
  15. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Haven't registered yet but Vincent and I are planning on doing the 50. Hope to see some of you out there.

Mikie likes this.
  16. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    My son just started riding so I am planning on the 25th with him, I know he can do it...but me?I'm currently working on my beer gut :(
    20160415_181419.jpg

17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Ha! Easy and 50 don't belong in the same sentence for me... a lot of folks here can do it no problem but I just haven't put in those long days to do it yet. I barely made it back to the motel after doing cannell last year and the 25 (28) mile route of the Rwanda ride kicked my butt last year.

So it looks like you and your son are doing the 25? I'll be in a sculpin jersey on a black RIP9, would be fun to ride with you and anyone else on here since I've never actually met any of you guys.

mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think the routes are a lot easier this year... Only one climb to the top of Live Oak, instead of at the beginning and end like years past.

Mikie likes this.
  19. H2oChick

Name:
    K-Oss
    I rode most of the route this weekend with the exception of the Caspers loop for just under 40 miles.
    The trail work that was being done was mostly on the fast descent where there have been rut issues. I would have liked to have seen some work on Vista which is very overgrown and covers the trail. Kind of braille biking not being able to see the trail, switchback or the rut. And poison oak ...
    What @Faust29 said about the short steepie climb has been smoothed out so almost everyone can make it now. I was hoping to use that to drop a couple peeps.
    The ride out Tiejas Creek was flowy and fun but still lots of PO in the shady areas. There are 3-4 creek crossings towards the end - just remember to keep your mouth shut!

20. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    In for fiddy! Not totally ready for 50... gonna be in a bit of pain after 50. :cool:

Stop by the Pure Ride tent and say hi.

DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?