Road trip planning help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dirtrider...., Mar 19, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    I need some help in planning where to ride on my way home from Fort Worth Texas back to OC.

I'm taking my middle son to Fort Worth at the end of May this year... I figured i'll take my mountain bike to ride a few days on my way back home.

Do any of you have any must ride areas that would be off the Highway 40 or Highway 10? Figured Hwy 40 would have some cooler areas to ride versus the 10 in June... lol

Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I-40 goes through Flagstaff, which is smack-dab in the middle of a national forest, at 7,000 feet, and there's gotta be something around there.....

3. Dirtrider....

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Thats what i was thinking also after i posted. Will start looking around.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    At that time of year it can be warm down low. So, agreed on swinging up to I-40 or taking whatever side trips to elevation. Open up Trailforks and MTB Project and see what's along the way. (TF Pro $.)

The El Malpais NF and Conservation Area in NM is where the a Great Divide MBR alternate goes through. Even road riding through those barely-used roads is blissful. Grants NM, you can ride out-back NB on the GDMBR. Gallup area has mellow trails, visit Petrified Forest NP near Holbrook and ride on the ancient route 66 through the Park (look up my report here). Flagstaff area has more than you can do if you're a ST lover, this is the place to concentrate on. You'll be crossing the AZ Peace Trail twice, if desert 2-track moves you, it's sublime. Stop in Kingman and ride through Secret Pass to Bullhead City on the AZPT, it'd be a long day but it's a highlight of the route.

It sounds like a fun trip! Glad that you are not just banging it out, but taking it as an opportunity to experience the fantastic west. Keep us updated!

5. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Flagstaff has lots of fun riding.

6. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Flagstaff and if you get some cool weather, head down the hill to Sedona. Rode Williams, AZ once. It is off I-40 west of Flagstaff. Was a fun ride.

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    On I-40, you'll pass through Kingman. Monolith Garden trailhead is just North of I-40 on hwy 93/Beale St.

Beautiful rocky formations and good trail system. Handy access.

8. Dirtrider....

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    im headed to Sedona in late april to camp and ride. cant wait to explore that area.. I've been looking at Flagstaff area...there are a lot of trails in that area... now my homework will be which ones to ride.

searching for single-track goodness. ill have more time to plan in april.

thanks for the suggestions. i may have to extend my drive home from texas to ride more areas. lol

9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    For Flagstaff check into snow pack and access before you go. Lower trails will likely be ok but they can have lingering snow during a big year. Flagstaff area can also be into full forest closure due to high fire danger by that point in a dry year.

If that is the case you might have more luck on the Mogollan Rim by Pine/Payson. Lots of trails there that are pretty good.

As an alternative I've heard good things about Silver City NM which would be down closer to I-10. The Continental Divide Tr goes through that area.

Dirtrider.... and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Does anyone know of a shuttle run from Flagstaff to Sedona along Oak Creek?

Dirtrider...., mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    In a raft or a barrel? :eek:

You got me looking at a map, anyway. It looks like if you got out of Flag on the E side of the 17 through Mountainaire you could ride FRs all the way down and under the 17 to Thompson Point in OCC. It doesn't look like what most would consider a shuttle run, though.

12. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Coconino loop day 1 runs from Flag to Sedona but as Mike said that's not really a shuttle run. Mostly flat ish til you get to the Munds overlook, then all downhill from there.

Schillingsworth did a Flag to Sedona ride down Casner Canyon one time. I don't recall much, but there is a post about it on his blog.

You won't find much else. Most of that slope above Sedona is wilderness.

Dirtrider.... and Cyclotourist like this.
  13. kazindeep

kazindeep Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Norm
    I really like Durango, CO The rides in town are shorter, but fun and the high country is unbelievable. If you are there in late June most of the high elevation rides should be open. Then there is Phils World in Cortez and that is really fun

Dirtrider.... and herzalot like this.
  14. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I have never been but I have heard the stuff in the forest SE of Gallup is actually pretty good stuff. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/554563/24-hours-in-the-enchanted-forest and https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7015221/24-hours-in-the-enchanted-forest. If you are on MTBR, search out Rockman in the AZ forum. He is a wealth of knowledge regarding the Flagstaff trails. I have not ridden up there yet but also hear great things about the Shultz Creek stuff https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/756111/schultz-pass-loop In any case, Mt Elden seems to get the most press.

Durango is not close to the 40. I know, I do that drive every year and now that we're closer in Prescott, I'll be doing it twice this year. Phil's World in Cortez is fantastic but not worth going that far off I-40 either. Kingman will be cooking. You might be able to get some 90 degree temps....at 3 am.

Speaking of Prescott, if you want to drop down the 89 (from Ash Fork) or 17 (from Flag), there is intermediate singletrack everywhere you look and it's always relatively empty. I haven't been here during the Summer so that may change on the weekends as everybody from PHX comes up here (or Flag) to escape the heat.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?