Road bikes from the 80's

Discussion in 'Pay It Forward' started by Bill, Nov 12, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Bill

Bill Member

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    it's black
    Time to clear out the garage and give back to the community that has been good to me. I have two road frames with some associated parts to make mostly at least one almost-complete bike. I'd like you to treat them in the pay it forward spirit and not just turn around and sell the items and pass them on to someone who will use them when you are done.

There's a red Pinarello, one of my old racing bikes, 60 cm center to center. Small dent on top tube that does not affect anything. If you have a hankering to ride what we used to race on about 40 years ago here's a bike for you.

The blue (thought to be a Lotus) 50 cm center to center. Don't know a lot about this frame, I assume it's chrome moly, perhaps even branded tubing but since I think the previous owner repainted it I just don't know.

(edit: typo in size description corrected)

Road frames.jpg

2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    An old downtube Pinerello would be cool. Wrong sizes for me, but cool. I need to get my Bridgestone running again.

Danmtchl, herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.
  3. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I am weird as I keep my 70's hand built 4130 Reynolds tube road bike, sew ups and downtube shifters used to have a hard as a rock Brooks saddle. It sits ready to go except 100+ lbs in the tires. Eventually I bought a carbon Giant with cinchers, it is so silent, so smooth that the oldie does not get out much. My old Mtn rigs are hanging but would need a lot of work. Except the 27 year old, it is the Franken Bike and gets upgraded parts as other rigs die. She is able to support panniers and bags so she useful when I go on long business trips.

Danmtchl likes this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sweet gear, Bill. Yea, downtube shifters. It'd be a hoot. Probably make me appreciate my singlespeed more. Somebody build one up. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl likes this.
  5. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    For awhile I have wanted to recreate an old bike. I'd like to make an L'Eroica (sp?) compliant bike.
    One like I had in HS. Steel, lugged, downtube 10 speed, toestraps etc.
    This is the random Japanese bike I had then.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WAsMenoLyvwun3oJ8

Doesn't look like either of those frames would fit me, I do need to figure what size would fit me

DangerDirtyD, mike and Danmtchl like this.
  6. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    Do they both take 700c wheels? I'd assume so by the '80s, but my classic road bike experience is with frames for 27s.

DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.