Post your first mountain bike

My first mountain was this Motobecane I bought off Amazon. I think I spent $500.00 for it. It didn't last long. My friends in Lake Havasu wouldn't let me ride it with them out on their trails. They loaned me a Scott's Hardtail with 3.0 tires on it which got me hooked. It's safe to say my first real bike purchased for this activity was the Santa Cruz 650b. I bought it used for $ 3,000.00- Best 3 G's I ever spent.

IMG_9175.png

IMG_9176.png

Last edited:
1990 Diamondback Ascent from Buena Park Cyclery.
Quill stem, Shimano Biopace crank, toe clips.
I remember the first tires were gumwall Farmer John’s nephews.
That bike took me down the Luge, Rockit and Chutes. Man my forearms and hands ached.
The steel is real!
I sold it to my old roommate for a song, and then a few years later he was moving and asked if I’d like it back. Sure I did!
I ride it once and a while. It’s still a fun bike.

not mine

diamondback-ascent-ex-1990-by-driftingfalling-cover.jpg

Y-not. I'll post. Picture of a picture.
This was the first one.
Broke the frame at the shock mount.
Second one was a one side blue and the other side was yellow.
Broke this frame at the shock mount.
Third one was all yellow. This is the one I'm trying to get back.
Trek said no more replacement frames after the yellow one.

20240330_165203.jpg

I remember those . They were state of the art when they came out. Very cool.
Interesting how all the early MTB'S look so much like road bikes. This one like the y foil. I tried to find a Y foil sooooo hard. The only road bike I would consider riding:).

Y-not. I'll post. Picture of a picture.
This was the first one.
Broke the frame at the shock mount.
Second one was a one side blue and the other side was yellow.
Broke this frame at the shock mount.
Third one was all yellow. This is the one I'm trying to get back.
Trek said no more replacement frames after the yellow one.

View attachment 92892

I've never seen it :laugh:
I was fascinated by the series. I was toodling about Seattle and happened to see the Time Bandit docked for re-fit. I headed down to chat with the crew who could only share that there was some "crazy Sh!t" that happened in the not-yet-aired upcoming season. I talked to a deck-hand called Pineapple (Eddie from Hawaii) who told me quite a bit about the boat, the series and the job in general. I am glad I did not choose that line of work.

I believe they added the skull and crossbones to the bow during this re-fit.
Time Bandiit Bow.png

And now, back to discussing your first mt. bike. Mine is featured somewhere in this thread.

My first real "bike" that I didn't have to share with my sisters was a 1976 Raleigh Record:

11-76-record.jpg

I had a series of road bikes over the years. My first "mountain bike" was something I bought at Costco in 2006 that lasted exactly one year before it started falling apart. I took it to a bike store and explained where I'd been riding, and all the problems with the bike, and the mechanic looked wryly at me and said "this bike isn't designed to do what you've been doing with it. Yes, they say it is a mountain bike but it really isn't."

So my second mountain bike was a 2007 Trek Fuel EX9:
trek-fuel-ex-9.jpg

Back