Pets are people, too

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by mike, Feb 7, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    ??? Brush up on your reading comprehension skills my friend. I know you are just trolling, but that clearly wasn't what I wrote.

Vicious dogs: the antisocial behaviors and psychological characteristics of owners

Ownership of high-risk ("vicious") dogs as a marker for deviant behaviors: implications for risk assessment

Mikie, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  2. MTBZen

MTBZen Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Pro-Caliber 9.6
    The way I read it, you are stating that aggression is bred into pit bulls. Not knowing where the pit bull came from, you are taking a chance that you will end up with an "exception" but you may also end up with a "rule"
    Your rule is that the pit bull is aggressive...your exception is that it is not. Where I come from, rules are generally understood as the majority of cases and an exception is an anomaly or a lucky break. The way I comprehend your writing is that you believe that most ("rule") pit bulls are aggressive and very few ("exception") are not....This is utter nonsense. I will agree that pit bull's may cause problems more than most breeds, but that in no way means that as a "rule" they are aggressive. If there are a million pitties out there and 100 stories per year in the news, that's a very small percentage. My point is the number of attacks vs. the number of animals is still very very low AND gain much more notoriety in the media than Shepard, Dane or Cobra attacks. And as far as trolling.....that is when someone on the internet starts a quarrel to upset or sow discord. I guess I would argue that your sweeping negative over-generalization of a controversial dog breed may be viewed as trolling and was sure to garner this kind of response.....congrats on snagging me on a successful troll.

Mikie, mike, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    This thread took a turn.

Mikie, mtnbikej, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  5. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Mikie, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. MTBZen

MTBZen Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Pro-Caliber 9.6
    It did.....bagging on people's dogs is like bagging on their kids. To foster peace on earth and goodwill toward fellow cyclists, I hereby disengage! :thumbsup:

7. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    That is unfortunate... There's so much discrimination and misconceptions but it's so difficult to have an open dialog.

We can't even agree on hard tails vs full suss... And I'd quit yesterday if I had to ride anything less than 160mm of rear travel...

8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I have no idea why I am even typing this, LOL.

Mikie, mike and UPSed like this.
  9. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
  10. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    and to stay on topic... Toby is turning the corner from being confused in a new environment. He's starting to be more playful and trusting and adjusting to his new life. He's great on leash and in public with lots of people, as expected. He doesn't approach people on his own but when they approach him and once past the initial greetings, he's happy to get petted or belly rubbed. Vet gave him a clean bill of health, no worms and everything up to date. He doesn't mind being bathed, groomed, ear cleaned, nails trimmed... but doesn't like the toothbrush so teeth cleaning and laughing gas next. It's been a wonderful week. I had to bring him to work for couple half-days and he just chilled on his pad, snoring between walks.

And no visible physical issues, he's fast and changes directions like an F1 car. Scares the bezesus out of me when he's coming at me in top gear. I've been bowled over by previous dogs when they do that so I'm learning to not try to get out of the way, they will do the fly by...

Toby looking out windows 1st week.jpg

11. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Where do I clock in?

Toby at work2.jpg
    View from the penthouse

Toby at penthouse.jpg
    Going to work is easy

Toby at work.jpg

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    IMG_2991.jpeg

My friend's new family member, Rocket. A Queensland Hēler, gorgeous and sweet little fellow.

vv Duly noted and phonetically corrected, @siata94. : )

Oaken, Mikie, bvader and 6 others like this.
  13. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Aw, Rocket sure is cute and we do need more "Healers" in this world :).

Every heeler I've ever met seems to be quite high energy. He prob won't nap like that for long...

vv I'm certain that Rocket will be quite the healer... every time your friend comes home...

14. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    OMG!:inlove:

Mikie, bvader, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Over the years, I have considered getting an Australian Cattle Dog. Ultimately, we stuck with Border Collies and Australian Shepherds. Australian Cattle Dogs have definitely become more popular though... I have seen a lot more of them in the last decade.

Since we are sharing puppy photos, a litter of ABCA Border Collies for ya :) A little bit of everything... one black and white, two red and whites, one red merle, two blue merles. Their eyes haven't quite opened up yet.
    border-collies.jpg

Our girl, Dash, is the blue merle in the front, off-center to the left.

Oaken, Mikie, kingaucho and 7 others like this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I think Benny wants me to stay home today. :inlove:

IMG_20191211_075546_316.jpg

17. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Cuteness x 6... Congrats on Dash. Amazing how similar the BC and AH pups look at this age...

Mikie, mike and mountaingirl sara like this.
  18. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Hopefully you didn't disappoint Benny, looks like he's suffered enough for the day...

Mikie, mike, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  19. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    My peeps and I are going to meet a Cattle dog mix on Sat, hoping to bring her home as a running/riding partner for me and Wyatt(my current Lab/Pit running partner):thumbsup: I want Wyatt to help train any new dog we get as he has fantastic trail manners and is just an awesome dog overall.

Oaken, Mikie, Stkx66 and 6 others like this.
  20. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Somehow I missed this thread and am now seeing it a week after we had to put our boy Tommy down... To say we’ve been heartbroken would be an understatement. Tommy (Australian Shepherd) came into our lives a little over 14 years ago and was our first “baby” shortly after my wife and I got married. We bought him from a breeder in TX and will never forget meeting him for the first time when we picked him up from John Wayne Airport.

He has been such a huge part of our family and our girls did not know life without him. Tommy’s been a very healthy dog, but I had been seeing some signs of him starting to slow down. Worst one was over Thanksgiving when he would hesitate to sit or lay down and pace around and around. It looked like he had some serious pain in his hind legs and it hurt too much to try to sit or lay... Took him to the vet and she confirmed that he was not in a good place and dogs (especially working dogs) are really good at masking pain and he was in some discomfort. Still getting emotional about doing this and being the one to make that decision. I grew up with dogs, but had never been in the position to make the call to put any of them down. He was such a great dog!

Here’s a few pics of ol’ Tommy Boy.

C1F0F818-B82E-4C4D-B2F0-D3C95F9E65C4.jpeg

0C88F7F4-6595-4147-BB57-F97D34A7E425.jpeg

FB0CD87D-46B6-4817-A5B9-8057C2C8199A.jpeg

7B747035-C4DB-4E82-80C1-0CA2FFD6C7D5.jpeg

Voodoo Tom, Oaken, Mikie and 16 others like this.
  21. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Wish there was a button called "like all posts in thread"

We've got an unplanned addition we'll be picking up from friends in CO in Jan. They had a litter from their Great Pyrenees papa and Catahoula mama. Gonna be a big boy.
    banjo3.jpeg

Voodoo Tom, Oaken, siata94 and 13 others like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That's one good run of good life together. Our condolence to you and your family, Lubo.

@knucklebuster, congratulations in advance. Handsome fellow!

23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Congrats! Looked up those breeds and yeah, that's gonna be a big dog.

24. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Thanks, buddy!

mike and mountaingirl sara like this.
  25. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    He looks a little like a Saint Bernard! What a cutie!

knucklebuster and mike like this.
  26. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    We lost one of our birds yesterday. A Fischer's Lovebird that didn't like us too much other than we fed or bathed her.
    My wife and I were debating how old she was. My wife thinks 15-16 years. I think 12-14 years. Either way, a good lifespan for a Lovebird.
    I found her on the bottom of her cage, not moving and breathing hard. A few hours later and that was it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DALiRQpQrKps1erdA

siata94, mountaingirl sara and mike like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Fair winds to your small friend, Jim. Friend might be an exaggeration; good on you all the same.

bvader, mountaingirl sara and Rumpled like this.
  28. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Welp, we finally did it, I’ve been searching for while now and this girl and her brother were brought to a local rescue a few wks ago. We went down to check them out and couldn’t help but bring them home. I got the female, and my son and his wife wanted the male. They should both be good trail and family dogs. Rescue’s FTW!

And so it begins......:geek:

4988B527-6332-4B0C-947D-5A46755703B9.jpeg

031368A1-AB0B-4633-9BDE-8679C2C9A858.jpeg

BDCBD583-30F5-4509-ACBF-CAAE1F801AF7.jpeg

Stkx66, buggravy, Oaken and 13 others like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @mountaingirl sara - Awwwww - Congrats! Cute little critters. May they bring you loads of love and fun!

Mikie, bvader, mike and 2 others like this.
  30. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Well thank you friend, we’re looking forward to this journey! :inlove:

Oaken, Mikie, bvader and 3 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?