Pants

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessory Reviews' started by mike, Aug 28, 2023.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I didn’t see a category for this, just shorts.

I’m less about shorts as time goes on. It started with bikepacking. Then overgrown trails and mosquitoes that laugh at your tall socks.

I finally got bike specific pants, Fox Ranger, and I’m really impressed. Every design detail seems well considered, and the fit is perfect. The material is light, hydrophilic and surprisingly comfortable. Dries super fast.

No fly closure. Brilliant! They are so low cut they don’t need it. It’s a vent and quick access port. And it doesn’t hang open or anything weird.

The durability of the material and seams is the only open question. I’ll be spending a lot of time in them, so time will tell. $120. Five starts so far.

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I bought the Specialized pants in 2020, with the idea of getting them and a pair of the Fox to try. I liked the Specialized so much that I never picked up another pair. They're probably similar...

When the weather changes, or you need protection, pants can't be beat... I should have bought some years earlier.

3. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I just picked up my first pair of riding pants last winter. Hand-up AT Pants. They're great when it's cold but, don't seem like they'd breathe well in even mild heat. They're built like Dikies with 4-way stretch.
    I'm kind of interested now to try something lighter because I do like the extra coverage.

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    if its over 55 i must wear shorts. lower than that, in winter, i prefer tights under shorts, than pants

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mike and 3 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I've never ridden in pants.

7. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Got a pair of 100% waterproof pants two winters ago. Everything kicks azz about them except the ventilation, they don’t breathe! Looking at non waterproof options now.

8. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    See the first post in the other thread DDD linked to... Wrangler ATG pants are super comfortable and less than $30

9. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Sometimes I ride with pants on the streets… only with the ones that are kinda strechy (“Denali” a sams club brand) which are really comfy. :thumbsup:

10. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I’m rotating 4 pairs. Insulating in winter and protecting from mosquitoes in summer.

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I have kick-ass outdoor pants for general use. Nothing can topple Prana Titan for some of my activities.

I was wondering if it was even worth trying “riding” pants, having logged many hundreds of miles in Titans.

Despite an attractive price I’m not interested in general use pants for riding. Because I see now what riding pants can be – thoughtfully cut for a bent body with all details considered. My Titans pale on the bike.

If it doesn’t come with a belt, it’s out. No elastic or Velcro at the waist (Zoic, hell no). I tried on Rapha MTB pants which seemed very nice but not my size. Having used the Fox Rangers, I’d have a hard time paying forty bucks more for Rapha. (Enter joke or quip about Rapha pricing.)

Thanks for the input.

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The part I highlighted in red. x1000. General pants ain't riding pants... I probably logged 90 miles out of 140 at Frog Hollow in the Specy pants. Can't imagine that in normal pants.

14. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    REAL mountain bikers ride in Levi 501's, a cotton flannel and logging boots. What's wrong wtih you guys????

15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @scan recommended some Wranglers. Stretchy (not sketchy) pants that work REALLY well for biking.

16. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I actually bought a pair after that thread was started but the loose leg opening made them a non-starter. However, I liked them so much, I bought a 2nd pair and they are my go-to long pants for whatever during the Summer up here in Prescott.

As far as riding pants, I bought a pair of the higher end Fox pants and they are fantastic.

FYI, the Ranger's posted in the original post are $83.99 right now on several sites....Jenson, EVO, Amazon, Pro's Closet, yada, yada, yada

17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Agreed!!!

18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Sssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Not even UNDERPANTS?! :eek:

19. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    You must have bought a different model than I did (there are several). Mine have a drawstring cord at the bottom of each pant leg. Not that I've ever needed it since the cuff openings are not what I'd call loose. I only noticed the drawstring recently....

https://www.target.com/p/wrangler-m...1&l=20_HTML&u=126720943&mid=7284873&jb=188621

PXL_20230906_202208121.jpg

20. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    ckrepack76.jpg

I have a pair of knickers I got at a close out sale that I like for cold, or thorny days. My knees like them.
    Otherwise, shorts or shorts with tights.

21. Sasquatch9billion

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I used to ride ride on cut-off army surplus pants for maybe a decade.

now, I have a little scratch in my pocket and buy bike specific stuff.
    I do wish I’d had the scratch before to make my own bike stuff that brands like Ornot and team dream are making now.

22. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Sasquatch9billion I really hope you're not paying those absurd prices for that stuff! The Ornot stuff looks nice and appears to be quality made. The team dream stuff reminds me of gear city slicker cyclists would wear while making their deliveries.

The last time I paid full price for a mtb specific item I was pissed off for a week. My old mtb shoes fell apart on a ride, so I needed to replace them asap. As I was riding more than once a week. Couldn't find anything on sale on line. So I went to the LBS and forked over more than $100 for some new 5-10's. I wasn't happy about it and felt like I got ripped off. Matter of fact... now that I think about it again I'm stll pissed about it!:bang:

Oaken, Danimal, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  23. Sasquatch9billion

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Don't worry, I always wait for sales. I will say, I've had a pair of the Ornot shorts for about 3 years and they're still going strong. Right now I pretty much wear them every day.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Or not...

Danimal and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Pants wearers: Knee pads?

G-form style pads don’t stay in place super well IME. We adore our POC gear, so I grabbed the new, sleek Wibmer edition VPD Airs, and they fit under the Fox Rangers nicely. With just enough room to pull em down over the calf. A little smaller than the regular VPD Air but same height.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?