New Forum: Gravel Grinders

Discussion in 'Forum Related' started by Mikie, May 17, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Well since there are only 3 or 4 of us that actually have gravel bikes it would stand to reason that this forum is always buried. :whistling:

2. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Thanks for digging it up. I am slowly looking around for possible purchase of new "road"/gravel bike. My current road bike is a 1987 Schwinn Super Sport that my father rode new for years and given to me when my carbon road bike was stolen a few years back. I love the feel of a good steel frame bike on river/beach trails as well as occasional grind up Newport Coast.
    Question:
    For the use of occasional road rides from home and "possibly" rides like Blackstar, should I be targeting a gravel(cyclecross) frame or a road frame that can take wider tires? Any info or knowledge on subject appreciated. Sh*t talk, jokes, and name calling also accepted. Thanks

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Hop on in, the water's fine!

There are too many categories and exceptions out there to say XYZ is what you're looking for. Just start checking out options and see what you find! I myself recommend a bike that can fit 700X45C and is able to switch out to 27.5X2.25" tires. You can always ride smaller tires, but you can't fit larger ones in if you want to at a later point.

If you're looking for steel, All City Gorilla Monsoon is my go-to recommendation. More on the adventur-ey side that competition. The Ibis Hakka MX is what I recommend for those wanting lighter/carboney. Kona Rove ST splits the difference and is a GREAT price. But so many good bikes out there, just use those as a starting point for research! Your tastes/needs may lay in a totally different direction.

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    From what I understand CX is more race oriented whereas "gravel" is more touring/adventure/relaxed.

5. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    For some unexplained reason I signed up for 2020 BWR.

Now I need a bike that will work.
    I have a HT with 11 speed, but I'm not sure it is an ideal bike for 135 miles ride...

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I just went through this last month...

I also have a mid-80s Schwinn hanging on the wall. It's been through a lot with me...

I read everything I could find on all the popular bikes, and for me it came down to the Salsa Journeyman (aluminum), Giant Revolt (carbon), and the Kona Sutra (steel).

After throwing a leg over all three in the parking lot test, the Kona was the winner. The aluminum just did not feel right, and the plastic was fun, but it's not me. The Sutra is heavy, but weight is really irrelevant to me. I wanted the versatility to throw on 2.2" tires at some point and the ability to ride stuff I shouldn't. It currently has 700x45s on. The Rove is a good choice, too, but the frame is a thinner walled construction than the Sutra. I like beefy... So I hopefully don't break it doing stupid stuff. :p

7. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Rode mine about 20 miles on the road from Hurricane to ride the trails in Virgin, Utah. Does a little bit of everything, but doesn't do anything well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2891201502

I did it last year.

It sucks.

Have fun!

8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/2018-felt-fx4-gravel-grinder-cyclocross-for-sale.9104/

I’m not sure how tall you are, but this is for sale...

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and UPSed like this.
  9. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Gravel you say. Ed may yet talk me into a Lauf fork! Thanks for the forum Mikie!

IMG_7948.jpeg

IMG_8019.jpeg

10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Ohhh, one of the above-mentioned Hakkas... noice!

11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  12. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Danimal, UPSed, Rumpled and 2 others like this.
  13. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Gravel was a failed experiment for me. I currently have road slicks (28mm, with 25mm going next) on my gravel bike. I'm not certain what I'm going to do with this bike, but I'm not doing gravel. It's just the worst of everything.

Maybe some day I'll enjoy the "under biked" feeling, but it isn't today.

Danmtchl, Danimal, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  14. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I've raced a lot of cyclocross, kinda gravel lite.
    My bike is still canti's and not geared very low. Limited to maybe 38's. But 35-32 is better.
    I want to get a new CX bike, but no $. Also most "CX" bikes now are more gravel. Bigger tires, OK. But a bit too slack for CX racing.
    I also want a gravel bike for some bikepacking. Again, no $.
    Thinking things like the Katy Trail.

15. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I thought I’d end up using mine for neighborhood rides but, I am totally hooked on it now. It’s like riding a roller coaster that flew off the rails, you’re teeth are rattling in your skull and your vision is blurred!
    Last ride I did I missed a sharp right and flew down a ravine into a thick patch of mustard at Turn Bull.
    Maybe it just reminds me of doing dumb stuff on rigid bikes as a kid..

Aspero’s soo hot right now!
    upload_2023-7-21_22-47-21.gif

16. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Wasn't sure about the gravel bike, but as I wanted a new road bike, and felt that not being able to hit smooth dirt or go off curbs held back the pleasure of the ride, so I pulled the trigger.
    So the verdict? I'm Hooked..... absolutely love that I can do the road ride with dirty fun on the same ride. Or dirt rides with some road tossed in! I do think that I'm under gunned on some of the trails but getting used to it, but have learned what to avoid. I do think that without the Lauf fork I would not be enjoying it near as much though. My verdict? Gravel is more Road than XC Mtb, and I'm having an absolute blast. Party on Garth! ( yes, its like that )

17. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Yeah they are, we sell more of them than any other gravel bike right now.

18. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    My pic is me on my 2014 Giant TCX with a Lauf fork. I'm now on a 2019 Salsa Cutthroat. Running 2.2's at 19psi on the Cutty and it is "almost" as smooth as the Lauf - but it is perfectly acceptable.

I tell my friends who ask - a road bike is a sports car, a MTB is a built Jeep and the Cutthroat is a Ford F150 4x4 King Ranch with a buttery smooth ride. They all do well in their intended mode. Sad to admit that last year I never took a single stroke on a MTB. It sure is nice to be able to still pedal around in the hills.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?