MTB giveth, and MTB taketh away.

Discussion in 'Health' started by buggravy, Nov 15, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Walleye

Walleye Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    Matt, glad to hear you're progressing so well! Chiming in: while hiking this weekend, I thought of your situation, & the things I'd tell my 2005 self, freshly post-ACL surgery. One, that the knee will never be the same. Not because of the physical repair, but because you'll THINK about it, all the time at first, less & less as years go by; but every so often, aching /swelling will make you ponder, what's going on in there? This isn't necessarily bad, though; doing a mental/physical inventory once in a while is a good thing, yes? A great feeling for me was the first time I went on a hard ride or hike and DIDN'T think about it -that's when I knew I was back! Two, make sure you don't hurt other parts (other knee, hips, back) while getting back in the full-on exercise groove. I noticed this esp. when I first started backpacking again; I'd favor the repaired knee on steep rock staircases, and stress my 'good' knee /wonk my hips in the process. 'Sounds like you're really paying attention to your gait -smart man! Third, I found yoga significantly helped in my recovery, esp. the balancing stuff (tree pose, warrior III, etc.). Lots of muscles atrophy after surgery, and sure, quads & hammies are the most important for power, but all those little ones really count when it comes to stabilization! Don't just take my word for it -you've already heard the recovery tale of that hellion-on-a-bike /yogi, Mountaingirl Sara! Good luck in 2020 -personally, I'm looking forward to the first group ride with Matt 2.0!

Mikie, Cyclotourist, CBone and 7 others like this.
  2. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Great post! Thanks, brutha.

3. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Get your motor running,
    Head out on the highway......

This is me driving myself to PT today. Holy $h!t that felt good. Free at last, free at last. PT went well. They were stoked and surprised to see me walk in without crutches. Got to 120 flexion. Probably just one visit away from being cleared to hit the stationary bike. Walked w/o brace and crutches, and got cleared to ditch the brace at home. Brace stays on when I’m out and about, mainly to protect from outside forces. Progress.

87166EF1-A8CC-466A-A3DF-9CF1F621A3DC.jpeg

Stkx66, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  4. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Well shite, you’re progressing fast!!! Awesomeness!:D

Mikie, mike and herzalot like this.
  5. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Finally... a smart one in the bunch!:Roflmao
    I can’t tell you how many of my yoga students talk about their injuries and recovery and how much yoga has helped! Especially heated yoga;)

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, MolarM and 4 others like this.
  6. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I’m a believer for sure. When I had my first shoulder surgery 10ish years ago I got to a point in the recovery where I was told the ROM I had was as mush as I was going to get back due to the amount of time that had passed and I’d plateaued on progress. There was a noticeable deficit though. Just two sessions of hot yoga got a significant portion of it back, with more in smaller increments with subsequent sessions.

bvader, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    This is so true. With my torn Rotator Cuff, yoga has helped with the range of motion and pain relief more than any of the stretches the Doc gave me. So now I just stick the Yoga as rehab...and can see the improvement.

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Only 71?! Come on? ;)

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Oaken and 3 others like this.
  9. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    @buggravy
    Pretty much exactly what I’ve experienced for my recovery, and what I hear from my students( make and female). PT isn’t heated, but it should be, the it makes a huge difference in the ROM come back game.
    Good on you guys stepping out of the box! So many men shy away from yoga for no good reason, my husband included :facepalm:

bvader, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    @buggravy makes up for the 71 mph with 155 mph music....I think he's compensating for the silent car so he can be heard.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 3 others like this.
  11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I don't do the heated Yoga...but...
    For the guys out there thinking about Yoga...the ladies are in good shape....just saying....

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Walleye and 6 others like this.
  12. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Y’all....this man is not lyin’ ;)

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Another small victory, Matt. Those win wars. :thumbsup:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Where's your tachometer?

Is that strange gauge on the left related to your knee recovery?

15. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Truth. And as pumped as I am about this quick burst of progress over these last few days, I'm not in denial about the long haul, and/or the fact that it may not all go quite this smoothly. But yeah, I'll take the win for now.

Actually, maybe I'm a little in denial. But I'm aware that I'm in denial. Whatever that means.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 5 others like this.
  16. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Haha, yeah the "gauge cluster" was an adjustment, for sure. And this is the "classic" layout. There's an "e-tron" layout that's even further removed from what the automotive brain has come to expect.

Yes, that's the optional TENS unit that's hardwired in.

17. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Another good PT visit. 15 days out from surgery. Officially cleared to use the stationary bike. PT added leg press (super light weight) and body weight squats to the repertoire. 125 flexion. Can walk up and down stairs without having to go one at a time. Done with the brace other than out in public, and then strictly to protect against outside forces, and done with crutches completely.

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    AYE! The main danger at this point might be getting cocky resulting in a setback. Manage your extremely high standards, buddy, and let your body catch up with how you feel. What was that formula about re-injury? Happens well out from surgery or something? Anyway, you are young, so pace it, bro. :thumbsup:

19. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Kick some ass Bug! And do it in a recliner with the leg up on a pillow! At your schedule, I was still over 2 months from any weight bearing on mine. Bask in the progress, but respect the process. We’ll celebrate in June!

20. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks, fellas. I appreciate the sound warning. It's as much of a reason for this thread as anything. As much as I'm hyped on this early flurry of progress, I do have my head pretty well wrapped around the fact that there are 2 things healing here. I know that this progress is more the muscle and supporting structure bouncing back, but the graft healing will be more a function of time. Please remind me of that in a couple of months though. I'm letting my therapist be the guide, and I'm not pushing through any flagrant discomfort trying to be a hero. It just legitimately started feeling better quickly once I started putting weight on it. I'm mainly just stoked on the hope that this fast progress will mean an expedited return to the more low impact stuff like riding the cruiser bike, and hopefully followed shortly after by being able to ride fire roads to get some actual fitness going. Anything that gets me outside and back to some sense of normalcy. Again though, I value the admonition from those who have limped the path before me :thumbsup:.

21. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Lots of wisdom in this thread! Keep up the good work Matt!

22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Measured progress over the last week. Just a couple degrees shy of "normal" ROM as of last Friday. Doing some decent strength training in PT, and the therapist says I'm way ahead of schedule. That said, a hopefully small hiccup, and part of why I post now, is that I developed some clicking in my knee cap, and a catch deeper in the knee. Maybe the same thing manifesting in different locations, but it first surfaced just past the top of the down stroke on the stationary bike, and then I began noticing it when I would extend my leg under a light load. PT said is was normal and nothing to worry about, but in the same breath asked when my next follow up with the surgeon is, saying I should mention it to him as well. I'd be lying if I said that didn't get my wheels spinning. She gave me two possible causes, which again she termed as common or normal (tight patellar tendon not allowing the knee cap to slide properly, and ACL not unfurling quickly enough to keep up with the muscles after retracting), but in the mean time she told me to stay off the stationary bike. Curious if any of you who had your ACL done experienced something similar at this point, or any point really, in your recovery.

23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    My knee clicks feel great! Ortho says it’s scar tissue breaking up.

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You overachievers really ask a lot of your busted up, chopped up, drilled out, healing selves. :geek:

I didn't have any distinct noise but noise in general. But I was not way ahead of schedule, either. ;)

25. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I just need my physical body to man up and handle what my feeble mind and fragile emotional constitution can not. Doldrums will be my unraveling.

Faust29, Danimal, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You nailed it...but I hope not! These damn brains of ours...what a PITA sometimes. :)

27. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I sure did, the exact same thing. And my PT asked me to do the same re letting my Dr know. It finally went away maybe 1-2 mo later. But I still get funky clicking, popping, and even strange “catches” in that knee.
    Great news about your progress Matt..keep it up!!!!!!!!

Faust29, Oaken, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    "Doc - it hurts when I do this..."

"Don't do that..."

29. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Right? If I was only allowed to do things that didn’t hurt I’d never even be able to get out of bed in the morning. Come to think of it, I wouldn’t really be allowed to lay in bed either.

30. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    ^^^^^
    This is an accurate assessment of life :thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?