Mountain Biker fights off Grizzly with a knife....

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by mtbMike, Aug 2, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
  2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    That's insane.

-ROCKY-, Danmtchl and Old&InTheWay like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thanks for sharing this

-ROCKY- and Danmtchl like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    The craziest part... when they went to find the bear, it was actually STALKING them - and they SMELLED it coming up from behind. !!! That bear wasn't going to stand down for anyone!

5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Bears are quite stinky if you know what you're smelling.

-ROCKY-, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I’m sure they say the same about us

7. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    -ROCKY-, Faust29 and MrGreedom like this.
  8. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Happy birthday to him!
    :confused:

9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    -ROCKY-, Faust29, Fueledbyex8 and 9 others like this.
  10. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    If I was riding solo in grizzly country, I'd have a canister of bear spray within arms reach. I've seen photos of people carrying them in a feed bag type thing on their handlebars. I know it gets debated plenty but I'd probably figure out some way to carry a firearm as well, probably a Glock 20SF 10mm. Luckily, I don't see myself being in that situation anytime soon. I've ran across bears in close proximity in Downieville (25 yards away) while walking back to our rental from dinner in town and on a trail outside Durango (3-5 feet away) while riding dirt bikes. Luckily, they were both smaller bears and the one in Durango was more scared than I was.

I will say that we saw bears, including a momma bear with two cubs, every day we rode in the park at Whistler last July. They were black bears and it wasn't until after I left that I heard about trails getting closed down due to grizzly activity. I rode the 'Comfortably Numb' trail solo and I was sure I was going to get eaten by a bear. I didn't see another human and every random sound was freaking me out.

~JB~, -ROCKY-, Faust29 and 11 others like this.
  11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    If you go hiking anywhere in Yellowstone, they HIGHLY recommend it. In fact, they even RENT bear spray canisters at the shops in the park. If you drive out the northeast end via Cooke City, you will see signs saying "NO TENT CAMPING ALLOWED" at the campsites due to bears.

I am curious if any of you bike with knives? I just bought a small dive knife that I can attach to my hydration pack... but haven't determined whether I am being stupid or not. I ride back in the mountains by myself, often without seeing another individual for hours at a time. Never seen a mtn lion, though I have seen the tracks. Every now and then I'll be biking in near-dark conditions, and hear a large animal moving in the brush off to the side of the trail...

~JB~, -ROCKY-, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I always carry a very sharp folding knife with me when I ride and when I hike.

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Being aware of your surroundings and alerting of your approach will be more productive than trying to decide what weapon you’ll bring to slay an enraged predator.

Slow down, especially where the trail is overgrown. That could have saved a life near Kalispell three years ago. Make lots of noise. Carry bear spray where you can access it. Use common sense. Don’t assume because someone got lucky with a knife that you will. Or a gun.

We tent camped in WY in a CG posted no tent camping due to griz. We had nowhere else to go, and how is another place up the road more safe? No issue.

-ROCKY-, herzalot, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I actually have a can of bear spray in the garage. Bought it for Yellowstone... and then realized they wouldn't let me pack it in my suitcase :) Doh!

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This guy was my boss at the time of this grizzly attack. He won, but he did miss a few days of work as a result.

Last Grizzly in Colorado?

Here's an excerpt to whet your appetite:

That’s when he saw an arrow that had fallen out of his bow when the bear took him down.

“The broad head fortunately was pointed at the bear already. (I) Was on my left side. I just grabbed the arrow with my left hand then rolled from my side onto my back and at that point stabbed the bear, attempting to drive her off more than kill the bear.”

-ROCKY-, Danimal, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  16. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Guess you were lucky. Heeding warnings is probably a good idea. Glad there were no issues!

mike and -ROCKY- like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Maybe not the best night of sleep on the trip... A tough situation to comply. Nightfall on a bike tour, nearest other camping 20 miles away. The host got the gravity of our situation and let it slide.

Again, how much “safer” would it really be up the road, potentially alone? Still in the middle of griz country. Risks, sometimes, have to be assumed. Grizzlies had easy access to our/my tent for dozens of nights thru MT/ID/WY, in places no one would post a sign.

~JB~, herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  18. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    It would be an honor to share a tent with you and have to fight off a Grizzly together. I think we’d kick its ass.

mike likes this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    LOL!!!!!!!!! :Roflmao:thumbsup:

Maybe a marmot...don’t underestimate the marmot... :cautious::eek::geek:

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  20. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The wolfie mask and paws alone would scare the damned thing away!

DangerDirtyD and mike like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?