Montana has hungry bears…

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maderas84, Jul 7, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Sad. Grizzlies are not to be messed with. They are not like large versions of black bears (which can be dangerous enough when provoked). Grizzlies can view people as prey. It is very sobering to be driving around some of the wilderness areas in southern Montana and see signs saying that tent camping is not allowed - due to bear danger.

4. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    My mom lives just south of Missoula MT. When I was up there earlier this year, I did a ride called Three Larch, just north of town. When I pulled into the parking lot, there was a sign that said " A momma grizzly and two cubs were see in this area _ day(s) ago." The number was 1. Lol. It made me a little nervous, but I still rode it. Probably should have taken someone else with me. Saw tracks and bear droppings along the trail. I did by a 10 oz can of bear spray that fits in my water bottle cage after that. Here is the loop if anyone is interested in a good ride:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7029582/three-larch-with-sidewinder-and-sons

OTHRider, mtbMike, Danimal and 5 others like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Such a huge bummer for both the Cyclist and the Bear. The bear is just doing it's thing while a cyclist, the same. We invade their space to enjoy the outdoors, then when someone dies, so does the animal.
    Lose / lose situation, no matter how you spin it. Such a shame on all accounts.

6. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    When in bear country you should carry pepper bear spray, a bell and have a whistle. Another important thing is to know signs of bears, scratched trees and down logs. Learn to recognize bear scat. Brown and black bear scat has seeds berries and small insects. Grizzly bear scat has bells, whistles and smells like pepper.....

~JB~, uzziboy, OTHRider and 11 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A tragedy in any event, but a real bummer for the Great Divide MBR.

Ovando is at the edge of the expansive Bob Marshall Wilderness. It’s wild country. That’s where the weez and I rolled past two mountain lions. That didn’t run away.

~JB~, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  8. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    Mountain lions are a very real concern where I ride. One was spotted along the usual route on the evening of July 4th. Deer have been super active lately and I think it's attracting the cats to lower elevation. o_O

The article further down says the victim wasn't cycling and was in camp at the time of the attack. Not that it matters now, but at least it wasn't a cycling-specific incident like the bear taking someone off their bike. That would be even more grisly.

I often carry bear spray or self-protection pepper spray on rides, but really don't think that it would deter a motivated bear. It's only marginally effective against aggressive dogs and there's a decent chance it'll either blow off-target or back on you. BTDT.

Yes, when in doubt, mace yourself so the bear will find you over-seasoned and unpalatable. Unless it likes "Flamin' Hot" cyclists.

~JB~, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Doubly sad situation: It was reported the victim was an experienced outdoors person, however she did not adhere to food storage protocol for bear country. Had food in the tent, unfortunately, and relocated that food after a first encounter.

11. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    You're braver than me. I would have bailed on that ride 100% if I was solo, maybe even in a group. I have bear spray for a couple of my CO rides as I've ran across them on my dirt bikes. I female hiker was killed in Durango earlier this year and a guy got attacked in his garage as well. Several of my friends that live in Montana all wear a chest holster with a S&W 500 (50 cal) pistol when they go out. Each family member also has bear spray.

In the article about them finding the bear in MT, there a link to another attack in Idaho on July 9th and it has some good info about what to do and what not to do as well as warning signs to look out for. https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/national/article252685478.html

Cyclotourist likes this.