Meadows - Aliso Saturday Feb 23, 2019

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by herzalot, Feb 19, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Because... why?

I know I am playing devil's advocate here, but really. Have more fire roads reduced the number or intensity of fires? No. All they have done is destroy acres of woods that survived the last fire.

I am truly fighting this battle in my HOA because there is a sub-segment of home-owners who have jumped on the... "if one fire road is good... more fire roads must be better! In fact... now that we think of it, trees are bad! If we didn't have any trees, there wouldn't be any fires!" There is a barren slope that we are trying to plant a few trees on, and we have ding-bats suggesting that a few California pepper trees are going to fuel a residential inferno. We live miles from any open space... but according to them, five California pepper trees represent an existential threat to over 1000 homes.

So if you say more fire roads are good... prove it to me. I have yet to have anyone prove to me why the new turn-arounds on Harding Truck Trail were absolutely necessary or more important than the LAST time they bulldozed Harding. New features added... because why? More bulldozed forest... for no purpose.

Here's an image of PART of the swath they bulldozed through CNF last spring. Three miles of forest... bulldozed. How did that work out for September's fire? If you answer IT DIDN'T you would be correct.

bulldozer-bill.jpg

I have yet to hear an anecdote about ANY California fire in the last decade where someone has said... "Gosh, if we just had another fire road, none of this would have happened!"

mike, mtnbikej and sir crashalot like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Which trails in Aliso do you ride that are smooth dirt hiking trails?

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?