Locks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fos'l, Oct 12, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Had a bike theft in the family recently, and although we have a couple of good locks, I've searched for the best. Two that seem feasible, though expensive, are the Altor SAF (strong as ****) and Hiplok D-1000. The former is a 13 pound behemoth that required six grinding wheels, two battery packs and two hours to defeat and is almost impossible to pick (although must be kept where you lock the bike) and the latter has a "graphene" exterior that repels angle grinders. Saving my shekels for one or the other.

2. bpacifica

bpacifica Member

Name:
    billy
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Shuttle
    Vulcan chain and lock system.

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  4. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I was looking at that D-1000, that’s the one they’re launching through Kickstarter, right?

Seems like an interesting option, but the price is a bit hard to swallow.

the only time I’ve had a bike stolen was not due to lock failure. The thief unscrewed the railing I locked it on. So no pricey lock would’ve helped with that.

5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I have this set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Q9QQ3KG/?tag=imtbtrails-20 but thankfully found it on clearance at a shop going out of business. Yeah, there's a youtube video where a professional locksmith with the lock on his desk in a well lit office picking it open in about 3-4 minutes but lets be realistic, 99.9% of thieves don't pick locks. EVERY SINGLE STOLEN BIKE REPORT that I took in my career (where the bike was actually locked to begin with) had the cable, chain or actual lock hasp CUT. Obviously, most likely with bolt cutters. A few were stolen when the thieves CUT through the object that the bike was locked to. Two I specifically remember were a bike locked to a tree and another to a banister railing at an apartment building. In 31 years on the job, I NEVER stopped a guy with a grinder other than a few tweakers with smaller Dremel type tools but tweakers of course have one of everything, they just don't know where it is.

6. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    AFAIK, the Hiplok is on Kickstarter, and the SAF available now.

7. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Agree heartily; we've had four bikes stolen over the years and in every instance either the lock or the attachment was cut.