Laguna Beach Ride this Saturday...Herz?

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Mikie, Apr 6, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Let me show you how this is done Herz... :)
    In my best Radio Voice:

"So Herz is hosting a ride down in Laguna Beach area to be determined by herzalot, and Mikie is going to show up to say hello and ride... :wave:

So if you don't mind putting together a nice Epic loop of the private reserve "good stuff" . . . that would be awesome!

Mikie is not afraid of long grinding climbs, he likes fast and flowy, technical chunky, mileage is cool, long walks on the beach, mojito's during sunset, and I don't mind holding hands just as long as they are at minimum Troy Lee Designed gloved ( :wtf:) or; just an ice cold 805 at the end of the trailhead... ;)
    I'm a cheap (and easy) date, and like things like fish tacos at Rubio's.

A 9:00/9:30am start time would be nice but I will start as early as 7:00am if need be. :shock:
    All I need is preferably an address, or very good directions.

Note: Would be good to keep it to around 7 - 8 Guys/Gals for the sake of flow...

Now of course . . . herzalot has to buy in to this but I'm hoping he will... Back to you Herz!"

2. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I'm interested. I will check with the wife when the details get finalized, but Laguna and Aliso are essentially my back yard and I'd hate to miss it.

3. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Take them down PG's they will never come back!

Dean

4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :eek:

5. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I'd rather take em down Ira's myself....... Then as we're droppin in yell out "Welcome to the backside!" LOL

6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :shock:

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I won't even walk PGs. I am not the right guy to show you all of the gnarly Laguna stuff since I just repeat the same ol' tired legal trails with the occasional toe-dip into the deep end. BlackLicorice might be better at showing "the goods."

If you wanna come down and have a good time riding the legal stuff, we can get as gnarly as Car Wreck and Stair Steps - both are pretty chunky and challenging. We could cross the 133 and drop Laguna Ridge (T and A). I am not the best at some of those trails. Following my lines would not be advised.

Still, if ya wanna come down and school me in my own backyard, that would be cool! I am sure we could get BL, Knucklebuster, Cougar and maybe Dean to join in. If you really want to be challenged, have Mo show you around.

Here's a route. Park at Canyon Vistas - Drop 5-Oaks - Climb Cholla - Drop Stair Steps - Climb Willow (LCWP) - Drop T and A (LCWP) - HAB Stair Steps - Drop Car Wreck - Climb Cholla - Drop Rock-It and climb back to the cars. Rock-It would be a bit anti climactic at that point, and perhaps should be the starter trail. That might yield about 3000' plus of climbing/HAB. Could always climb Mathis instead and end with Meadows' relaxed swoopy goodness.

A more civilized (less gnarly) route would be Drop 5-Oaks, Climb Cholla, Drop Rock-It, Climb Cholla again, Drop Lynx, Climb Mathis to To W, Drop Meadows and return to the cars. That would also yield about 3000' of Aliso climbing.

There's always options for more. I'll be here, so let me know what you wanna do. Might wanna drive on over to Laguna for eats, or just hit Wahoos in Aliso Viejo.

:wave: :clap:

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey, I am sure that anything you put together will be fun!
    Remember the "Epicness of Epics?"
    It's more important to me that we spend quality time with fellow mtb'ers then the gnar of the century.

New dirt is new dirt (I like new dirt and willing to travel for it).

So it could be a cruiser, it could be a bombfest. I was just opening up the wide expanse of opportunity to let you know we could ride whatever you want.

If we are on, just let me know the time and place and let the fun and riding begin!
    Mikie
    :thumbup:

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I'm gonna ride with Chris (BL) this morning. If he doesn't kill me, we will discuss your call to action. Saturday morning in Aliso can get a bit hectic, as 3/4 of Orange County might descend upon the park. But, that said, let's do it anyway.

Canyon View Park might be the place to start. 405 to 73 (toll - no cash - pay online) to Pacific Park to Canyon Vistas. Easy. :wave:

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.google.com/maps/@33.582022,-117.745034,14z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.google.com/maps/@33.582022,-117.745034,14z</a>

There's only one porta potty there however, so you might want to arrive empty.

Here's a lame trailmap, but it lists the legal trails. Pay no attention to the big "Staging Area - Vehicle Parking" as that's not where we are likely to meet. Look at the north end of the park for the gate near Canyon Vistas road. <a class="postlink" href="http://ocparks.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=21141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ocparks.com/civicax/filebank/blo ... obID=21141</a>

There is an organized hike starting from the same location at 8:30 that morning. <a class="postlink" href="http://ocparks.com/events/?ViewBy=7&CalDate=4/11/2015&EventDateID=202213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ocparks.com/events/?ViewBy=7&Cal ... eID=202213</a>

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You gotta pay money to drive on roads? :roll: I thought that was what taxes are for? :wink:
    What time you want me there?

Side Note: This also means I have a Shotgun seat and Bike Rack on top of my Mini if someone wants to go with me... :cool:

11. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    <a class="postlink" href="https://www.google.com/maps/place/Canyon+Vistas,+Aliso+Viejo,+CA+92656/@33.5852167,-117.7437607,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x80dce61b5dbdd2e5:0xe343efc18d53f1eb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.google.com/maps/place/Canyo ... c18d53f1eb</a>

That link should give you a drop pin where to park. Basically park along that road anywhere from the base of the hill up to the East.

I'll ride there from my house that morning, just need to decide if I want to take the direct route (Pacific Park) or the scenic route (through the park itself - can get a quick Coyote run in on the way up).

12. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Sounds like there will be alot of female hot eye candy crowding the trails, another distraction to multitask? I promised the trail angels I would pay more dues with sweat, no cash needed ;) . I would if not for I like to keep my word, looking forward to the RR. :cool:

13. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    I can't make this ride, but am hoping this sort of ride happens again in the near future. Enjoy the ride!

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    This sort of ride happens every weekend in my world. Come on down! :wave: :thumbup:

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Since you know Aliso well, which trails do you want to hit? Moderate, tough or super tough?

16. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I think Meadows is a must given our thread on MS/Meadows last week. Aside from that, I was actually looking forward to going down some of the harder stuff that I don't do solo.

My usual route involves combination of some/all: Coyote, Mathis, Dripping Cave, Cholla, Meadows, Rock-It, Lynx.

I don't often start at Canyon View, so dropping in at 5 oaks makes a ton of sense. From there we have lots of options. To answer your question directly, "tough" maybe? Then again, I'm okay with super tough, because I have no pride and will walk my bike if I feel the need. Going out with others means I can more safely expand my comfort zone with newer/unfamiliar trails.

17. Black Licorice

Black Licorice Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nomad
    I think Cholla and Mathis is super tough.

We're talking climbs right?

18. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    can i get in on this ride?

I'm down for whatever. IF, i am lucky enough to be included.

19. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I'm hoping to join for at least some, but won't know for sure until Friday afternoon. Will be good to put some ugly mugs with names :D

Route doesn't really matter to me either, it's all fun. Think you could get enough in at Aliso without crossing to LCWP. Laguna Canyon Rd. on a weekend is death defying in itself, but whatever is fine.

20. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    I'd like to jump in on this ride as well!!! The earlier the better for me to avoid other trail users. Can you guys launch at 7:30?

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I hear ya Pachaven, but people are coming from a long ways away. 7:30 won't beat the crowds unless you finish by 8:30. Join us and Embrace the Suck.

8:30, with EVERYONE else!

22. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    I see how it is... Next time I post a group ride, I'm changing my name. :D

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Wait - what? I think I am missing something here... :?

EDIT NOTE: I did some searching and found the thread in which Shawndoh posted a group ride in Aliso last Saturday. that was the Mentally Sensitive vs Meadows thread. I believe that thread disappeared around April 2 or 3, 'cause I couldn't find it anymore, and I forgot who has posted it. Since I didn't find it, I rode Whiting with another friend who happened to drop into town on the 4th instead.

Will you be joining us for this one?

24. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Hey Shawn, your tag of "advanced ride" might have put up some flags, I was going to ask if that was because of the trails or the pace ('cause I know I can't keep up with you on the ups or downs)... but couldn't make it anyways due to all day family commitments. Keep posting them!

Back to topic at hand, so 8:30 milf and 5-O first is where we're at?....

25. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Car wreck, rock it, meadows are a must. :cool:. I need to be finished by 1. Traffic sucks coming back.

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I'm pretty sure we can work these in. We can take a quick poll on everybody's relative lust for challenge before we start. 5-Oaks can be our barometer. Or, if people want to start with something easier, we could start with Rock-It and save 5-Oaks for the end, giving people the option to forego it and jump into their cars to leave. Two climbs up Mathis sounds horrible to me (once to access Car Wreck and once to access Meadows), but I agree those are some good trails.

Option 1: Drop 5-Oaks, up Cholla, Down Rock-It, up Mathis, Down Car Wreck, up Mathis again to Top of the World and over to Meadows then back to the cars. estimated 3000' of climbing.

Option 2 (start slower): Climb Cholla, Drop Rock-It, Climb Mathis, Drop Car Wreck, Climb Mathis again to ToW, Drop Meadows, back to cars and up to Five Oaks, if anyone has time, legs or desire remaining. 2400' w/o 5-O, 3000' with.

Option 3: Drop 5-O, climb Cholla, Drop Rock-It, Climb Cholla again, Drop Stair Steps, HAB Stair Steps, climb ridge to top of Mathis, Drop Car Wreck, Climb Mathis to ToW, drop Meadows. Return to car. Drop over from exhaustion. 3400' ?

Option 4: Easiest (but FAR from easy). Drop 5-Oaks, Climb Cholla, Drop Rock-It, Climb Cholla again, Drop Lynx, take Coyote to bottom of Mathis. Climb Mathis to ToW, Drop Meadows, return to cars. (note no Car Wreck or Stair Steps). 3000'

For those who want a real day of climbing, you can just do it again!

27. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Those all sound like an awesome time at Aliso! (except for the double Mathis climb, I agree there)

I like them all for different reasons. This is partially why I enjoy Aliso as much as I do! I'm not sure if Lynx will be worth it given the other trails, I much prefer Rock-It and we should get the technical challenge Lynx provides over Rock-It instead from CW/5O/Stair Steps.

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I agree, except I don't think Lynx provides a technical challenge over Rock-It - despite the fact that I got knocked out cold and Dave earned his Knucklebuster moniker on Lynx. Both were due to inattentiveness rather than technical challenge. But yes, Lynx is definitely lowest on the priority list for good riders visiting for the first time.

Hey Tom, (Mr. Bomb) - please tell us what color bandana you are planning to wear so we can all match you.

29. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Don't forget your mustache.

30. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    I vote option 1.
    Going lime green and orange kit. orange or lime green bandana have not decided yet :D

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?