Junk Headbands

Discussion in 'Headband or Bandana' started by Mikie, Aug 14, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I’m going to start by saying I have now rode twice with a Junk headband and it has yet to get saturated with sweat, and not one drop of sweat in my eyes. And, I can’t explain it.o_O
    They are very popular out here, and when I first looked at one I thought, man this really is junk!

But other mountain bikers swear by them and since CJ is a lot more open minded than I am, she bought two. Swore it worked fantastic. So I tried one on a ride. Thought it was a fluke and rode again today with one. Perfection. When I pulled it off, it was damp, by the time I set it down it was feeling pretty dry. How is that possible? Apparently the trick is you make sure it has no folds or has wrinkles while wearing it, it must go just above the eyes and lay flat all the way to the top.

Doubt me please! But I sure would like to know if some one else has had the same results as I or if someone is willing to give them a try and report back. Logo is linked to their website.

F5A14122-99D5-42E4-83D3-D3AA13D31133.jpeg
    16560CFB-F730-46C1-AEE7-8DA9ADF51F5E.jpeg

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    If'n you gotta put your junk on your head, well....:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

Cain't remember the two brands I have and use, but both work effectively and keep the sweat off my glasses. Just about anything will work, including a rolled up chamois.

mtnbikej, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :whistling: Hey I was making fun these as well. I have been wearing Halo skull caps for years and I come back with the saturated and dripping in my eyes. These are not saturated and no drips. In fact it “appears” to evaporate the sweat before it can get saturated or drip.

4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have been using Headsweat skull caps for spring , summer and fall. I use a Pearl Izumi for winter riding. These look nice since they look like they won’t trap the heat in.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Looking at them now... I sweat like a pig and usually go through a couple of the Halo bands per ride.

I carry a plastic baggy to carry the wet gloves and headbands...

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  6. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I also sweat like a pig, especially during the first 30 minutes. I might try this Junk.

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Jesus Harold Christ, there's literally 6,243 headbands to choose from before I even move on to the neck gaiters, which I also need to update.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Head bands / skull caps are especially important to those of us who are follicly challenged!

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I don't need to know nothing about nobody's junk.

Mikie, Sidewalk, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  10. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I didn't realize my hands sweat so profusely until I forgot my gloves and was struggling to grip my grips last week.

IDK, I'm not experiencing that yet and, the cold clammy drop of sweat coming off my hair is what is commonly referred to as Icky. It gives me shivers.

11. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Just say bald. You will feel better.

Jokes ... no reason for that these days. Cash fixes everything. We are not living in the 90's.

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Bald is beautiful, baby!
    4DD225D2-3D85-4DA3-A983-9485AE8456AC.jpeg

13. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Oh man, a friend of mine posted video of him surfing that wave park about a year ago on IG, it looks amazing!

14. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    What, that's not Chris in his younger days? I say false advertising! :eek:

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Younger days? I look like that now! :whistling:

16. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    They probably wick sweat around the back of the head.

Halo bands a garbage. I sweat like a pig too and used to bring 3 of them on rides. They'd get saturated quickly and become useless, so I'd swap them out and hang off my pack to dry. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

A guy on MTBR makes the sweatbuster. I've been using it for years now. It's a pad that velcros in the front of the helmet and absorbs sweat. It takes much longer to saturate. When it does, wring it out and keep riding. This has been by far the best product I've found so far, and you can find them on Amazon now or order off his site with the discount code on mtbr. It won't cover the top of your head like a skull cap but I just put a bandana under the helmet, problem solved.

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I guess I'm the only one that still finds Halo headbands acceptable. Mine might be soaked at the end of a ride but I've never had to carry an extra one.

18. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    That sounds great, if they truely do what you say. I have yet to find something that keeps sweat out of my eyes or off the sunglasses lenses. I have this problem no matter what. I will try them out.

Mikie, herzalot, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  19. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Keeping the sweat off my lenses would be perfection. :Roflmao I usually have to wipe them down multiple times per ride.

20. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Yeah a lot of people who claim to sweat a lot seem to like halos. But I don't think they actually sweat near as much as some of us. Once those things get truly saturated the sweat just gets drawn around that seal and drips right down. For me the halo was completely useless. Once it's saturated you can't wring it out enough to make it function again. That's what I like about the sweatbuster. It does eventually get saturated too but you can wring it out and it works great again.

Another reason I'll never buy a halo again... The owner of the company bought a house a few years ago in Pine valley near the lower Noble trailhead and has been busted a couple times sanitizing the trail. Screw that guy and his company and it's inferior products. :thumbsdown:

21. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I have been wearing a Mandana since time immortal. It is cotton and works excellent. Plus it is the same material as my cotton shirt and the mandana I carry to use on my nose when required. My head one gets wet sometimes but I never get sweat in my eyes, magic? I have lots of them of different themes. Mostly I wear American flag based styles. I have lots of them going back to when I was 5 years old. All of us rancher types carry one always it's what we do. Nothing like offering a clean mandana to a cute filly at just the right time.
    Happy American Trails

22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay so a heads up! Third times the charm. I have to admit I made the JUNK headband cry today. A couple times on the trail I got it to leak like a drippy faucet. But it did seem to recover well once I got some speed going it appeared to dry up fairy quick. Just wanna be as honest and as accurate as possible for the hommies!;)

23. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Now you know one of the reasons I wear a bandana. I never get sweat in my eyes. The bandana combined with the halo or what ever soaks it all up.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I believe I have the best solution of all. Stop riding when you break a sweat! Or at least turn around and go downhill. :thumbsup:

25. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I’ve been heading downhill for years - no matter which direction I’m pedaling.

26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Halo works pretty good for me. I have the Axl Rose headband version and it covers enough of my receding hairline/expanding forehead to keep me from getting sunburnt. I must sweat just the right amount as it's always really wet at the end of the ride, but doesn't drip in my eyes.

mtbMike and Runs with Scissors like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?