iPhone experiment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faust29, Apr 26, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My iPhone 5 was never able to last for an entire "long ride" while using Strava... If I turned all the extras off, I could get 3-4 hours of recording time, but then it left me without a phone when the battery died. Not good... And not the way to keep the wife happy when I ride alone.

The iPhone 6+, however, lasted the entire Rwanda ride + the extras I did before and after. I still turned off wi-fi and bluetooth, but I checked the mail and texts a few times during the ride, and I managed a few photos. When I got home a couple hours after I finished the ride, I still had 50% battery life. Also... the iPhone recorded pretty much the same elevation gain that Cougar's Garmin 510 recorded, while my Garmin 510 recorded over 1,200 feet less. I think the Garmin is possessed, and the iPhone is rapidly becoming a viable alternative.

2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Someday I'll probably have a garmin to record with but for now I just use my iphone6 mounted in my pocket. I have settled on using the runtastic mountain bike pro app to record with. I find my battery life is way better than when I recorded with strava and I like some of the features the runtastic app has(delayed start, take pics within app,in ride announcements of stats, play music within app etc). After returning home I download a gpx or tcx file and upload it to strava. There are some elevation differences between the two apps and garmin recorded rides though and that drives me nuts. Mikie and I rode the exact same trail yesterday(only difference is I hit the dirt a couple times) and he got 200+ feet of elevation on me (note huge but I like his numbers better). A few weeks back we did golden eagle and our elevation numbers were almost spot on though so go figure.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yeah... Herz would say to just have fun and forget the recording, but I really like to know how much something is going to hurt, and it helps to have a reliable means to compare!

Thanks for the app tip... I shall check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    The free version of the app works well but I eventually did the paid version for the couple extra features and no pop up ads.

5. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    My garmin lasts for days when bikepacking and a quick change of batteries and good to go for more days. It all depends on the right tool for the right job.

Dean

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I need your Garmin! Mine has never lasted an entire day, even with Bluetooth turned off. It's at the point now that the iPhone 6+ battery is easily a longer lasting device than my Garmin.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I have had my 705 last 13hrs .

8. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    The chipset in the newer phone is more efficient and the battery lasts longer, as well. It was about a year ago that Strava changed its app to better utilize the advanced chipset of the 5S, and it really made a difference for me. Their older software was useless for longer rides.

Recently a friend gave me a gadget that will surely prove handy on multi-day backpacking trips or full-day Strava adventures. It's a device about the size of my thumb that can be plugged into and recharge a USB device. They're pretty common now. I think it's just called a "recharger."

I find the iPhone superior to dedicated GPS devices for pinpointing my location on a topographical map when in remote locations.

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've never ridden long enough to have my Garmin 500 Edge battery die off. Longest ride I've done with it was about 10.5 hours total time, and IIRC it was still at 40%.

10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Garmin 705 Edge. Firm believer in a dedicated GPS for my Bike. It lasts me 16 hours of solid riding.

Faust29 you are definitely ready for a battery replacement. They are easy to do,you can get them on Amazon that comes in a Kit with all (if any) special tools to replace it. Took me about 10 minutes.

I have bought 2 Garmin 705's on Craigs list for around $140 bucks each.
    I don't have a smart phone, I don't want a smart phone and the monthly bill that comes with it.
    I like my Garmin, and they have a crash replacement service as well. :D

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thanks for the tip, Mikie. I shall order a battery and give it a try!

12. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    That crash replacement service, are you speaking of basically their full overhaul/refurbish which goes for $70 or more, depending on model?

13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^Yes sir. I basically got a refurbished Edge 705 for $110 bucks from Garmin after the tree versus Garmin encounter.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  14. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    I don't buy the bike or exercise related Garmin's I use the Vista. I just want it for navigation not the other stuff exercise focused things Garmins do. If my heart rate gets to high I feel like puking don't need a heart monitor to tell me that.

Dean

15. wheezy

wheezy Member

Name:
    Todd McTallguy
    Current Bike:
    2020 NORCO Range VLT C1
    I scored a Garmin 810 from "Bike Inn" in Spain for $260. I scored the topo maps from ebay for $29.

I believe the loaded maps will add a level of accuracy to the elevation changes while on trail and that could account for the difference you guys were seeing between the two units. If one is using just barometric pressure and one has 100K topo, I'd bet a dollar you'll see differences as described. That said, friends iPhone, my HTC One, and the Garmin are all pretty close though. I consider the Garmin the most accurate.

16. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    I have a Garmin 800 and I'm wondering if the battery is getting old I used it on my first bikepacking trip recently and it only lasted about 10 hours. Was really bummed when it shut down on day 2.

Thinking of getting a solar panel, but not sure if you can charge it it while in use. normally it turns itself off when you hook up the USB.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?