Hidden Mesa - My first video edit... and a remaster.

Discussion in 'Videos' started by MCB2K, Apr 14, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    I recently upgraded my Adobe products and added some Red Giant Color tools... so I decided to remaster the very first video I did. I kept the original edit intact, with a couple minor fixes, and added color correction and grading. The top is the original, the second is the remaster. Love to hear thoughts on the difference.

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU the entertainment, Brian.

Effects, to my sensibilities, are best used sparingly. Unnatural color saturation can be used in interesting ways, but as a baseline, does not enhance the look of the natural environment. When I see a hyper-saturated photo, I find it borderline repelling. Some probably like "the colors." For example, the still frame at bottom makes me think "why is that rock yellow?"

Content and editing are what makes a piece strong. I think a concept, established and flushed out out through a piece, is what brings a bike vid above the fray. This yammer is, no doubt, more than you're asking for in this post. So, I'll stand down now : )

Thanks for the shot of Chickenfoot. Down the Drain has to be the best track on the LP. Cheers...

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I admire the time that goes into the filming and editing. I don't - and won't - do it, but I love watching. Here's my .02:

Don't use those diamond swipes (or any). It screams tacky in the same way PPT sound effects scream tacky.
    Keep all mtb videos under 4 mins., and preferably under 3. Look at the best videos on Pinkbike or Vital. Most are less than 3 mins. You had lots of footage of ordinary doubletrack that did not add to the tension or story.

Solid riding and great location. Videos are a labor of love, and I love that you are into it. Thanks for posting. It did make me want to ride - and all mtb videos should make the viewer want to ride. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fueledbyex8 and mike like this.
  4. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Thanks guys... couple points:

1) This was fall here in Colorado, yes the leaves and rocks are that color... depending on lighting. The first video (I didn't know anyting about color correction) was good old Hero 2 footage shot in Protune, which basically makes the video look muddy. It lacks detail and the colors all just muddle together, as the camera is purposefully leaving colors and saturation out. You'll also find, time of day plays an important roll in what the camera perceives. I'm still learning this color correction "art", or science, depending on how you view it. It is challenging to get the shots taken hours apart to look the "same"... which in this video was an important thing.
    2) I would never use the "Diamond Iris" in a video again... unless of course it's a video where that works. You are correct, it is "home movie" ish... but this was my first edit... and I new almost nothing about editing, video... hell I had no understanding of frame rates or why I'd use one versus another.

The point of the exercise was to see how much color correction, would enhance an existing edit. I could take that footage and slice it, dice it and do a complete rework, but that would make it a different project altogether, which in this case, was not the objective. Again thanks for the feedback and keep it coming.

mike likes this.
  5. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    Thanks for sharing!

I loved the static shots cut in with the helmet cam. I know that takes a ton of time, but it really added to the feel for the trail and rider. I'm considering recruiting my 8 year old to be a camera man on a few trips to the trail :)

As above, I'd try to cut it down to 3-4 minutes, unless you're really telling some sort of story.

I think your camera was a little loose. Or your helmet. Without a weight full mask you need to really buckle down the XC helmets in order to keep the shot steady. Also, try to shoot in the tallest view you can (if you're shooting from the helmet), Superview if your camera supports it. I think it's important to be able to see from the top of bars to the horizon. It can be a really tough frame to capture. I've had the most success with a camera set up like this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/5814304-3x2-340x227.jpg

mike likes this.