Help. Want to plan a ride from Jackson Lake to Devil's Punch Bowl??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CBone, Oct 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    OK you Wrightwood 50 experts. I have a friend that has ridden from South Fork campground (Big Rock Creek) to Devil's Punch Bowl and he would like to do an even bigger ride. We are considering a ride from Jackson Lake to Devil's Punch Bowl and need to work up a route. We need your guidance and suggestions. How do we get to Manzanita, maps, trail info etc.?
    Thanks

2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I don't exactly know how to connect the dots in a couple spots but I've been hankering for an enduro day starting at the Wrightwood visitors center and climbing up to drop blue ridge, then leprechaun, then climb up to the lake and up boy scout and work over to Vincent gap(this is what I'm not sure how to do) then drop Manzanita to South Fork, over and up to the devils chair(pretty much all HAB) and then over to the punchbowl parking lot.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Um... The chance to do most of that route was last weekend. o_O

@CBone - From Jackson Lake to Manzanita isn't the problem... The problem is getting back out. :D

From the lake, head up the fire road to Boyscout. At the top of Boyscout, continue straight into the fire road for 1 mile or so... Fast smooth descent. At the parking lot you’ll find the manzanita trailhead dropping off to the right. 6 miles of Woo-Hoo! Look for the car in the first mile or two!

The suffering starts when you pop out on the pavement after going through the campground... Turn right and go for 3 miles and 970 feet of elevation gain. The road dead ends at the prison into the fire road. There’s a spigot here on the right at the baseball field. Then... Go up. And up. And up. You’ll eventually get back to the manzanita trailhead area... hang a left onto the fire road you came down earlier.

From the top of Boyscout, down manzanita and back up is something like 14 miles and 3000 feet. It may not be as hard as I think it is... I’ve never hit the climb with less than 6000 feet. :gag:

4. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I've done the ride from S Fork CG to Devils punchbowl visitor center. It's a gnarly trail with some HAB both up and down since the trail is in bad shape but still very cool. Worth doing once for sure. Can't recall where the trail leaves S Fork CG but it should be marked. This will make it pretty epic but will also make for a long shuttle

5. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Madog and I have been saying all year now that we would do the shuttle we did 2 years ago this year, but it just never happened, and now he has moved to Idaho. Our route includes a bunch of the SOT out toward Lydle Creek and then back a number of ways either on SOT or not. Up above Boyscout the SOT ( a great section of it) drops you at the start of Manz. Then shuttle our butt’s back up to insiration point were we started. I think it was close to 30 miles. Fran did it with us also. Wish I could but I seem to have brocken my ribs or something.

6. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    :thumbsdown: Yikes. Ribs? That is bad news. Heal up.

7. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I think we would drop a vehicle at the Punch Bowl parking lot and talk a better half into dropping us at the lake.

8. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    But, we won't be going back up. Too smart for that :whistling::).

SnakeCharmer and Cyclotourist like this.
  9. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    This is the connector I was looking for.:thumbsup: Sounds simple in theory but never underestimate my ability to take a wrong turn.

10. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    @Faust29 posted how to get to the gap. Your enduro route would kill me off for sure. At least I have seen the trail from South Fork to Devils chair so I know about the HAB switchbacks.

11. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Sorry @hill^billy but what does SOT stand for?

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Not good to read!

13. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Where's Devils Punchbowl?

Cyclotourist likes this.
  14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Some Other Trail. Rhymes with PCE. ;)

15. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    :oops::speechless:

Cyclotourist and UPSed like this.
  16. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Cyclotourist, Faust29 and Voodoo Tom like this.
  17. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Some one (@SnakeCharmer ?) needs to plan this ride! I'm in....

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The top of the fireroad descent is at mile 24.7 in this route, and Manzanita is at 25.7... Check out the elevation gain from 32 to 38. It's one of those climbs that gets steeper as you go. :sick:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1230495163#30380011254

Cyclotourist, Stkx66, CBone and 2 others like this.
  19. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Thanks for the Strava Steve. What you guys did on that ride is impressive. I’m not planning to make that climb anytime soon.

20. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Like HB was saying, instead of taking PRTT at the top of BS, continue up on the FR like we did at the IMBT gathering. Then you can take the Prefered Cycling Trail down to
    the Manzanita trail head.

21. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I'm sure it beats the fire road but this will probably a Saturday ride. There might be some (many) hikers that have the audacity to slow the flow on such fine single track.:rolleyes:

Faust29 likes this.
  22. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Voodoo Tom, Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I haven’t been up there when we haven’t seen hikers on the hiking trail... some of them are pretty cool! Like the young thru-hiker we met last year from Denmark (?). Great kid who detoured down Acorn just for a good burger and beer in town. :thumbsup:

mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?