Heading to Colorado

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbfan, Jul 1, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbfan

mtbfan Member

Name:
    Sylvia
    So, we have never been to Colorado, and it seems like there are a million places and trails. We only have about 10 days and hope to hit some scenic trails. We were thinking Crested Butte and Durango to not go too far up north, even though I heard Steamboad was amazing. Can somebody recommend some must to rides that are not death defying but not beginner either? We are looking for scenic long trails. We will most likely head to Brianhead first since it is open again. Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, where are some good places to stay that won't drain your wallet? VRBO, etc?

2. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    I know there is fire situations going on in certain places, make sure you double check.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hermosa Trail north of Durango is long and scenic, but not technical. Not sure it's current condition.

UPDATE: Fire is in the Hermosa Creek and South Hermosa Creek drainage as of yesterday.

4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I've heard good things about Monarch Crest if that forest's open, and there's a cool little rustic inn in Poncha Springs that won't break the bank.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I second this!

6. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    If you can get to Crested Butte, you should. I’m heading that way in a couple weeks. Unless you plan to ride the bike park, it’s not really known for gnar. And really, you shouldn’t have to ride the bike park, there are enough epic trails in every direction to keep you busy.

401 trail is the classic, if the snow and mud are gone, that’s a must-ride. Be prepared to take long breaks; you will get winded, and you will spend a lot of time taking in the view.

We will probably stay in a slopeside hotel. They end up being about $130/night in summer. Since all the action in summer is in town and not on the ski hill, the prices are lower there. You could find a less expensive Airbnb option if you want to but it wouldn’t likely be a condo, just a room. Anything like a real cabin in the woods has been sold out for a while. This is a last-minute trip for us, so going with the hotel gives us some flexibility too. The downside is that the area can feel post-apocalyptically dead.

7. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    One service that the slopeside hotels have at Crested Butte that blew my mind: bike concierge! Check your bike in at the lobby, they will keep it safe for free, or roll it to the shop for a tune.

8. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Do you have "10 days to ride" or 10 days total including drive time from SoCal? I go to Durango every year because I have family there but this is not the best year/time to be there as the 416 fire is still burning but if you are going that way, a day at Phil's World in Cortez in a MUST do. Absolutely the best designed trail "system" I've ever ridden. If I just had 10 days total and was riding at Brian Head first, I'd pick one place and just go there the whole time, especially if going to Crested Butte or Steamboat as they are both out of the way. You could possibly do a 1/2 day in Fruita/Grand Junction on your way through on the I-70 if the weather is reasonable. Crested Butte is off the hook, stunningly beautiful with a fantastic vibe in town. I was actually pretty impressed with how good all the food was as well (though I'm not very picky....I like to eat).

I was there last Fall....https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/crested-butte.7176/

Colorado Backcountry started running shuttle up there as well....https://www.coloradobc.com

9. mtbfan

mtbfan Member

Name:
    Sylvia
    WOW MtbMike. The picture from your last fall trip is amazing. We have about 10-12 days overall, and that will include driving. The plan is to make Crested Butte our destination but break up the drive. We will most likely head to Brianhead first since Bunker Creek will be open again on July 4th. Dark Hollow is still destroyed. From there, Crested Butte for about 4 days, leaving in the morning for either Cortez or Durango. I heard about Phil's world, so we will probably skip Durango? From Cortez to Flagstaff for a day and a half and then home. I know, that there is Silverton Engineer Mountao Trail, too, but that is probably affected by the fires? Keep the tips coming. My head is spinning.

tick, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Have not ridden every place discussed, but

Another +1 from another CO expat. Shuttles available from there, and also not hard to self shuttle, ride from town or hitchhike. Everything off the Crest is primo; Agate Creek, Fooses Creek, Greens Creek, and of course the stuff farther south.

Also, any of the CT between Kenosha Pass and Tennessee Pass is all-time.

tick, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  11. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    On that note... the hubby and I are headed to Nor Cal, Auburn area to stay with my sister and her man. Taking our SUP, kayaks and of course my mtb. I won’t have time for Truckee, but am hoping for an Auburn ride at least, any suggestions are welcome! My sister and her hubby ride, but they do easy trails..I want a real ride.:thumbsup:

scan, tick, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
  13. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Thanks, I’ll check out the link!

14. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Steamboat is in the middle of nowhere. But if you are there get a cowboy hat, the store is awesome. Look for the big plastic horse in front. Next time I am there its Stetson baby.

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  15. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    If you get all the way to Steamboat, consider going through Dinosaur National Monument on the way back. The Dino bones alone are worth the detour, but there is good riding nearby and rafting the Green River was a highlight. It will be hot, but the rides are a series of purpose built networked trails, not just one day-long dehydration exercise, so you can ride in the morning and float in the afternoon.

But I wouldn’t try to do CB and Steamboat on the same trip...that’s too much to take in at once.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?