Guerilla Gravity

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Jun 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    All sound advice IMO, herz.

Dan, the M1900 wheelset is a budget set, but still good enough to ride indefinitely; not super heavy. Only now, after 16 months, I'm wondering what a wheel upgrade could do for the Smash. The raw color is hard to beat for longevity. But some of the colors are fun...

You can build a relatively light bike with air shock/fork, or take on a little weight on either or both ends if you value the x-plush. A "light" build will be around 30.5 lbs. But riders don't buy GG bikes for the weight, and the only time they notice it is putting the bike on a rack. Riding a model or two would be a luxury if you're torn on what to get. Don't forget the versatility in being able to swap chain stays to create a different bike. Also, although not advertised, Smash and TP can be run as 275+.

SNA-DIA flights are dirt cheap :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, UPSed and 8 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The Smash they used for the Pinkbike review is for sale by GG on the pink bike buy/sell. :inlove:

Before I bought the Hightower, I was watching their demo sales pretty closely... There were some really good deals with full warranty. Jason talked me off the ledge with the really long travel Megatrail they had... :D

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, UPSed and 9 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    They put the arch on backward, so I can't comment.

I tried an MRP Stage (170mm air) on a Knolly Warden. I was underwhelmed, but I probably didn't have it set up right. I had to let a lot of air out of it to get any plushness. Maybe it was in need of service. @sir crashalot loves his Ribbon, I think.

MolarM, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  4. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I thought you guys might be interested in what bikes BKXC and Singletrack Sampler are demo-ing

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The weez is talking about setting up her nephew with her v1 Bronson and getting herself a Smash. My fault for letting her try mine one too many times, maybe... A small Smash is way bigger than a med v1 Bronson except in standover. 5'3" might sound like a small rider on that big bike, but let's not forget the +5" ape index (and formidable skill :)).

6. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Nah, not yet. When I ordered they told me somewhere around the third week of January. Been thinking I should check for a status update, and then purposefully not doing it. Lot's of (mostly good) craziness in the Gravy household kind of makes the arrival and assembly of a new toy (that I can't even play with yet) just feel like overload, so I kind of hope it doesn't show for a couple more weeks. Probably should check in at least though, as I haven't received any update since the first one above.

7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Seems they're bigger than most sizes. At just over 5'6" I'm square in the middle of their small sizing., where I've always ridden a medium.

Mikie, Voodoo Tom, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  8. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    More on

Start at about 5:00

Danmtchl, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 2 others like this.
  9. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Update today from GG. Frame is still at powder coat. Apparently the shop was closed for 2 weeks over the holidays. They expect it back next week, and then another week or two for them to do their machining, prep, and assembly. I'm guessing more like top of February before I actually get it. Probably for the best. I got a got a good report from the doc yesterday, and also sold my other bike yesterday, so no MTB until the GG arrives. That will help keep me from doing something I shouldn't do for the next couple/few weeks.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Sassyquatch and 11 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    The universe is taking care of you. Can't wait to see it and hear your first impressions (and second, third, fourth, etc).

Danmtchl, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 4 others like this.
  11. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    According to their newsletter, they're unveiling some surprises and a new site on the 30th...

Danmtchl, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 4 others like this.
  12. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Got a quote from Baily at GG on the bike/s I'm looking at. He mentioned that there is a $500 discount on the 2018 frames, and the 2019 lineup is coming out end of month. I can't wait to see what they got in store for 2019.

And I must say I'm really impressed with the service so far.
    Two emails sent, two informative replies with all the info needed and questions to narrow it down.

Sassyquatch, Danmtchl, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That stuff matters!
    Since most bikes are more or less equally capable and equally reliable, it's stuff like that - the soul and face of a bike co - that will tip the scales. Not the price. Just happens to be a benefit that GG are less expensive than the fancy plastic bikes.

The frames are not attractive to my eye, but I think I could get over that. (Weird top tube shape, location of shock...)

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I would not be surprised to see the reach on all normal frame sizes increased for '19. The "extra-medium" semi-custom size option got some attention; maybe too much? (Top and down tubes of a large on an otherwise medium frame.) It would improve the bikes IMO.

The launch party is Jan 30 at Marquis Theater in Denver.

15. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Never could figure out this argument. When exactly can you notice the drag and how does that affect you?

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  16. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    :unsure: :cautious:
    little-britain-men_2681134b.jpg

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I get excited every time I see this thread pop up, perhaps more so than even the MTB [girly] hotties.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I’m thinking a new model is in the mix for the launch. Seems like kind of a big event for a bunch of tweaks to current bikes.

Longer-travel 29er. What else could it be? They have a 120 mm FS in the Trail Pistol, Smash is 140. Would they invest in a new DH bike after purging one from the lineup? Those seem the logical possibilities.

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  19. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    A 26er advertised by Bill Cosby!

Danmtchl, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  20. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam

I’m guessing a DH, maybe with 27.5 and 29 compatibility with a flip chip or something?

Less likely for me is a more Capra like 160-170mm travel 29 (Smash already overlaps with that capability, IMO)

Or...Smash to 150-160, TP to 130-140, and something like a SB 100?

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  21. Sassyquatch

Name:
    Sam

The Shred can be converted to a MT or a Smash with a few extra parts...Smash can be built pretty light, and is really good on more chill/less aggro stuff too...YMMV, as I am a circus freak....

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I was thinking shift the line the other way with TP @110, Smash 135, XXX @ 150-160. But man I would be cranked to see a more endurance GG, which a 100 mm would surely be. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Mikie, Sassyquatch and 3 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I noticed it coasting down a residential street that I coast down regularly - slight decline. Very noticeably slower than my own wheels. Turn 'em over and give them a spin and they came to a stop much quicker than either my DT Swiss or my Stans. I have tried two bikes equipped with I9s, and both were the same.

It affects me in that I have no desire to buy a hub with more drag that's really loud in order to get ratcheting action that I don't need or use. Again, I'm a hack, so my opinion doesn't matter, and I'm probably wrong. We all know that louder hubs are better! :thumbsup:

Faust29, Danmtchl, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  24. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    See thats the part that makes no sense. If you're coasting, who cares about drag? You obviously dont want to go faster or you wouldn't be coasting! lol

They have absolutely no drag when pedaling.

Faust29, Danmtchl, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  25. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    @mike @Sassyquatch , I know you both love your smash,

Thoughts on building one up as a lighter trail bike, with a pike up front etc....I'm sure the guys over there in Colorado would accommodate?

I also heard some people throw a 130 on the trail pistol....

26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Not light frames, but within that context, riders do build Smashes and Pistols with weight consciousness. That usually means air suspension, CF parts, possibly tailored wheels.

I think a shock tune could be money well spent, whether air or coil, but especially for air. A Pike or similar fork is fairly light.

Honestly, you might like the pedaling and xc prowess well enough with just some carbon cockpit parts to keep it from being too portly. That’s how I built mine, thinking it would be a tool for shorter rides. I was very wrong. I rode that 32 lb bike on the biggest day rides I’ve done, and that certainly cools the upgrade-itis.

As far as model, that’s pretty personal, with terrain and your desired characteristics. I rode a Smash demo two days and decided that was a good setup for me, no desire to try less travel.

Faust29, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  27. Sassyquatch

Name:
    Sam
    I’m running mine kinda as my “lighter” trail bike...I bought it used with a Pike and RS SD air shock...I ran it with 140 front for a while and then let out the Pike to 160. Pedals super well for me and still really capable on the downs...it didn’t bat an eye on Whistler double black valley trails (I did wuss out on some features though as I was riding alone), and that was with the Pike at 140.

My heavier trail bike is my full steel 29+ 160mm beast...no idea on weight but it is fun....

I’ve heard people really like the TP Pistola (long shocking it to 130mm) and running 140 or 150 front.

To me, the small weight diff between Smash and TP is probably not noticeable since I’m 260...I’ve broken 13 frames in my 13 or so years of riding, so I prioritize durability....

Faust29, Danmtchl, UPSed and 7 others like this.
  28. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Cool,
    Sounds like both offer a pretty flexible platform.

29. Sassyquatch

Name:
    Sam
    There’s a really exhaustive section on all things GG over at MTBR...I read up a lot over there before pulling the trigger on mine....

30. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    So my frame is finally back from powder coat, and is going through final machining, decals, and assembly. Anticipated to ship next week. \,,/

Sassyquatch, Mikie, Faust29 and 8 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?