Fun Hardtail?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by konakc, Dec 2, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I've been trying to get a Canyon Stoic but just not available. Anyone recommend a hardtail for downhilling and climbing? Around 2k? Or should I just forget hardtails b/c too hard on the back/body? I'll still ride the Ibis Ripmo most of the time but for fullerton loop and main divide climbs, Ripmo is mo bike than I need...
    thanks for any recommendations!

Danmtchl, fos'l, bvader and 8 others like this.
  2. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    maybe just get a Ripley aluminum? I'd like to try a hardtail just to see if any real difference in fun riding...

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  4. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm very happy with my Kona Honzo ST, running a 140mm Bomber Z2 fork up front. Main reasons I went with the Honzo was sliding dropouts, very similar geo to the YT, and the frame is very reasonably priced (although seems to have gone up a hundy recently). I built it up myself from parts, think it owes me about two grand. I had a few bits and pieces off another bike but frame, fork, wheels, bars, stem and dropper were all brand new. Mines definitely harder on the body (arms and shoulders) than the YT but thats due to the lack of gears :Roflmao. I do feel it in the legs a bit more descending if the going gets rough but the backs fine.
    Its currently only 2 seconds slower down my local downhill test track than the YT and goes uphill much faster.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The old aluminum Lizard (generation 7) is the best hardtail I've tried for up, down, and all day... I've heard other owners say the frame is magic for aluminum. I agree... It just sings the faster it goes. I wonder if the new version is built that well?

And then there's the other end of the spectrum... Moxie is an insane bike with its aggressive geometry, but it is a much harder bike to just jump on and ride. I'm also convinced it's possessed and wants to kill me. :laugh:

6. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Specialized Fuse - endorsed by myself and former frequent flyer Rossage.

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, fos'l and 5 others like this.
  7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I would make a point to ride with a few Hardtail HOoLiGaNs from here and ask to ride their rigs up and down the trails to help you decide.

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, fos'l and 7 others like this.
  8. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    A hardtail is one of the rare occasions that I would suggest buying used... for pretty much everyone. Full suspension bikes can be a real pita to buy used and can end up a mind field... hard tails things are more simple and it's a lot easier to check how round the wheels are, how tight the spokes are, look at the drivetrain and check the seatpost and check the fork for knock. That will get you a hardtail in your budget that climbs well (fast and effortlessly). I know it sounds nuts, but most of the hard tails that are sub 2k, have some pretty big compromises with componentry that are going to make them weigh 30+ lbs and ride pretty sluggish.

I'm always a sucker for a kona honzo. I am not actually sure how many I have owned. The only problem is that they are no longer priced in the range that I would want and the one in your price bracket comes with an RS 35, which is a fork that i would avoid at pretty much all costs, including upping my budget by another 300 dollars to avoid it. It is seriously trash and would ruin the ride experience even if you took at 5k FS bike and just put one on in lieu of whatever came on it.

For new suggestions, I'd look at the following:
    -RM Growler
    -Commencal Meta HT
    -honzo st frame (and then be very deal conscious with used parts to build it under 2k)
    -Giant fathom (good value, but the geo of these makes them more stable then playful)
    -bmc two stroke

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Salsa Timberjack was the mostest funnest HT I ever owned.

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, fos'l and 5 others like this.
  10. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    This is not what I needed to read. Though I've been offloading spare parts it occurred to me the other day that I'm just a few parts (and a frame) away from a single speed hard tail. Honzo ST moved the needle when I was casually looking, and there's a seller on PB that has them new for $575. I'm still probably not going to do it, but this curiosity has lingered for a while.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Hardtails are fun…all of them. They don’t have to be some extreme DH demon. They don’t have to be a featherweight XC go getter.

Hardtails are as hard on the back/body as you let them be. Yeah, the first couple of rides will seem pretty harsh….especially coming from a 150mm trail bike. However you learn quickly how to compensate and ride them lighter.

I kinda agree on buying used….lotsa peeps are hardtail curious only to find the are man enough to ride them :cautious: :Roflmao

I won’t recommend any one frame/bike…because honestly I don’t have much experience riding them. I can tell you how well my Chameleon rides….the Pro’ and Con’s, but it is kinda subjective.

12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Hardtails are simple, efficient and fun. I have two of them and they are radically different but both really fun. First is a 20lb carbon xc (currently ss) rig and then a Titanium chopper I call the lead sled. Get comfortable on one and I bet you'll ride it more than the Ripmo.

13. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    My LBS just recently brought on Konas, and he is building up a Honzo DL for himself. And @Lost Kiwi described more or less the exact bike I want to get into. I have a RM Growler now, and it's rad, but I want to get back into SS as well and want sliding dropouts to do it, so the Honzo ST looks good.

Eventually, I'll have a large Growler frame to unload, but somehow I'm not done spending money on the big bike yet. :confused:

14. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Right there with ya on the parts thing, only need rear derailleur, front brake, frame and I got a hardtail. So I’m looking at a Honzo ST on PB for $525. It’s been a few decades since riding a hardtail, It will be fun.

15. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    I still ride my old (15 or so years) Niner scandium (with Kinekt seatpost), and it's main attribute is efficiency (well, at my age, who knows), but my body craves FS. Haven't weighed it lately, but possibly in the 23 pound range (IIRC, the frame, size XL, was sub three pounds).

16. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Ride it down El Prieto!

Bluesrider, fos'l, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I bet his screams of terror wouldn't scare away all the wildlife. :laugh:

IMG_6019.jpeg

18. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    I'll ride my hardtail down there with @fos'l then we both can scream in harmony that will scare everything....

Bluesrider, Faust29, fos'l and 3 others like this.
  19. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Most of those expressions were jubilations I didn’t eat it. Did you happen to Strava that day?

Bluesrider, Faust29, fos'l and 3 others like this.
  20. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Thank you all!!! Now time to just get the bike!!! I will ride the Ripmo mostly but wanted a spare bike for fully and main divide climbing. And to let newbies borrow.
    Thank you for advice!!!

Bluesrider, Faust29, redwoods and 6 others like this.
  21. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I had a Kona Explosif steel hardtail, it was a very fun bike. I believe hardtails make you a better ridder because you can’t just run over anything like you can on a full suspension bike. You cave to pick you lines and improves your skills.

E42FD54F-768C-4F43-9373-DE49DEC053A6.jpeg

Bluesrider, Faust29, fos'l and 5 others like this.
  22. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    THat sounds painful

23. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Sounds like I'm being "helped" to a too-soon-from-now grave. You're referring to someone who considers Thunder Mountain technical.

24. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Leaning towards Honzo ST or maybe the ESD, just not sure I want a hardtail at 63 degree HA. Also looked at the Ragley Big Al, but they are harder to get.

fos'l, redwoods, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I thought a 63 degree head angle would be nuts... It's not. I've set PRs up and down.

But take my opinion with a grain of salt. I think everyone should own 2 hardtails. :laugh:

26. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Let's just say It'd be a little chilly in my household if I told my wife I Owned her......

Cyclotourist, fos'l, redwoods and 4 others like this.
  27. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Been interested in a hardtail myself as of late, it seems I'm late to the party as the one hardtail that does catch my attention is the 2022 Santa Cruz Highball, it is sold out everywhere! I checked exhausted from here to Europe? only one I did find in Dark Matter in Large is in Madrid but they won't ship unless I arrange for a pick up and other stuff like export fees. To much hassle for me I'll wait till the next round of 2023 come out and hopefully they have a color that catches my interest!

redwoods, Faust29, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  28. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Two hardtails would kill my going cheap plan. Have all parts for one bike, except rear derailleur and frame of choice. Still considering slacker.

Danmtchl and redwoods like this.
  29. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I’ve decided on the Honzo ST for my hardtail. Had a few others in mind, but availability is just not there. Found a 2023 frame in olive green for $575, ships out tomorrow.

9964E284-FF90-434A-967A-F03D48CBB0F1.jpeg

30. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Like that color!!! Perfect for a honzo!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?