Floor Pumps - Recommendation(s)? Ones to avoid?

Discussion in 'Pumps' started by Andy, Jun 26, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    So, there are some great and not so great pumps...

Ideally I'm looking to spend $40-$80 on a "decent" floor pump. Just needs to be reliable, schrader + presta compatible and accurate gauge. That's not to say if there's a "must have" that's $100, I won't stretch to that...

Any brands/models to avoid? What's worth buying?

TIA

Danmtchl, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Worth buying is the Bontrager Flash Charger or similar. Makes airing up a tubeless tire very easy. More than $100, though.

I splurged and bought one. Haven't regretted it yet.

Danmtchl, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  3. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Danmtchl, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  4. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Do not buy the blackburn floor pump. The $6 floor pump from Jenson is definitely not worth it.

Danmtchl, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Haha! Those are the two pumps I own. A Blackburn Air Tower 2 from 2004 (still going strong) and a Jenson $10 floor pump kept at the office. The gauges are not equal, but each one is consistent in its respective errors.

Danmtchl, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  6. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    The blackburn lacks a check valve so the handle will kick back up. Also the gauge is horribly off. I've had instances where the pump handle kicked up and hit my face.

Andy, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  7. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I have a Topeak Joe Blow, cheap, works well, gauge is consistent. Next pump must have a release valve to adjust pressure.

Andy, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Flash Charger still working fine, despite the legendary inaccuracy of the gauge.

One cool thing I’ve discovered is to capture the pressure in the pump before removing the chuck from valve. So that pressure gets used next time I air up, and I need fewer pump strokes.

Yes, you pay a lot for it plus a good gauge. But it saves you from ever needing an air compressor to set up tubeless tires. Portable, easy; no way can I live without it or something like it.

Sorry, @Andy, not helping you...

Andy, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  9. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I've got a Blackburn Chamber HV pump. No complaints, but I'd probably spring for one like @mike is talking about so I could set up tubeless without having to break out the compressor (although some rim/tire combos will set up with the Chamber, not all will).

10. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    I recommend Lezyne, I have one that is going on about 8 years of service and traveling, in all that time, I've just replaced a pair o-rings as they've worn out.

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    +1 on the Joe Blow.
    I run Plus Tires so I use the Floor Pump to get in the ballpark and then a Accu-Rate gauge to get me where I want to be.
    I like the idea of a bleed off to get there too!

12. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I have that one too. It was getting kinda old so I got a new Park floor pump from a friend and I don't like it. Went back to the Joe Blow and just use the Park as a backup.

Andy, Mikie, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  13. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    This could definitely be handy for mtb trips. I have a Joe Blow...seems to work well and decent quality.

Andy, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Another Joe Blow fan... I have the high-volume model. Definitely harder to plunge than the regular ones, but fills up pretty fast. Would love to have a newer pump with an extra chamber on it.

Earn Your View, Andy, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    50 pumps to get the tank to 160psi (desperately needed strength training), hit the release with a foot, and listen for the pops as the tire seats in about .25 seconds... :thumbsup:

More than $100, though...

Only drawback (?)... When using as a normal pump, you have to let the tire and tank equalize to see the pressure accurately on the gauge. Meaning, I go to about 40 on the gauge, and watch as the needle drops and comes to rest at the correct pressure.

16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I use multple pumps daily and I would stay away from anything Serfas makes. They don't last long and even though it has a lifetime warranty it's not worth the hassle to come get a new one every few months. I would also stay away from the Park pumps. They just suck....badly.

As others mentioned the Topeak Joe Blow is a great reliable pump. I also have a 20 year old Blackburn that I use regularly and never had a problem with it.

17. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Path has a bunch of Giant floor pumps that work great and inexpensive. Topeak ones are top notch but you pay for that. Regardless of what you buy, clean the head every now and then. Clogs from tubeless sealant will kill any pump over time.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Andy and 5 others like this.
  18. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Another vote for the Topeak. I think I paid $65 for my old Joe Blow maybe a decade or more ago, mine has the bleed valve. It's still going strong. The only thing it doesn't work for is tubeless.