Floor Pumps for MTB tires!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pachaven, Sep 13, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
  2. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I bought a Blackburn floor pump in 2001. It still works great, and the guage is accurate. I had my doubts on its accuracy so bought a presta guage but found out I didn't need to.

Probably one of the best $50 I've spent on bike stuff.

4. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I would not get a new pump if it doesn't have a reservoir for setting tubeless tires. The cost difference is not that much, and you get a whole new tool that saves you from firing up your compressor, and the pump works better for the purpose. I got the Bonty one after using my friend's. I don't know about the accuracy of the guage, go by feel. Thumbs up in every other regard after 6 months.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ntrager-tlr-flash-charger-floor-pump/p/11881/

Luis, Cornholio, littlewave and 7 others like this.
  6. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
  7. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Cornholio, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm watching this thread, as I just donated my floor pump to the kid... :thumbsup:

And I definitely want one with a tubeless tire seater...

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You do need one of those. They work better than a compressor – anywhere. You never take road trips?

littlewave, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have blaster described above. While I have seated tubeless tires with a regular skinny floor pump, it doesn't work every time. I'd rather not have to pump like a horny rabbit to get my tire seated. :rolleyes:

And it's handy to have in the car in a trip that includes any bike.:thumbsup:

Cornholio, mike, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  11. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    What I noticed with my old pump that had a gauge that went to 160 psi is that it was hard to see the change in the gauge from 11 to 12 psi in my plus tires. So thats why I want a gauge that you can see each pound of pressure on the gauge. I think a max psi on the gauge of 60 psi would be great

Danmtchl, mike and Faust29 like this.
  12. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    I do take road trips but so far haven't needed a pump with the extra blast of air. I have needed a air gauge on my pump that is accurate

Danmtchl, mike and Mikie like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I haven't needed one on the road either, just tubed it up to now. I was gonna get a portable air can, but the Charger is a better solution for MTB tires. And I'll never wake anyone up pre-dawn with my compressor.

Mikie, Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Make a pig out of a 3l coke bottle. Doubles as a bong on road trips. Win-win!

SnakeCharmer, Luis, Cornholio and 8 others like this.
  15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have a Blackburn floor pump that I keep in the garage and bought it in 97 and it still works great and the gauge is pretty accurate.

Mikie, Poofighter, mike and 2 others like this.
  16. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    And your tires will just float down the trail!

17. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    I also recommend blackburn. I had a blackburn TPS2 for about 20 years then it crapped out, but blackburn warrantied it and gave me a new airtower. When I called them I was hoping for a part to fix the TPS2 as it was the best pump I've ever owned.

Cornholio, mike, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    2017-09-13 19.53.05.jpg

Using a digital gauge really upped my pressure game. With most floor pumps you can read 20 then 20-something then 25ish...very easy to bleed down to your exact preferred psi

2017-09-13 19.58.49.jpg

19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I have only needed my compressor once on my three sets of Stan's wheels so far. But of course, if I am at a race and I have to do a tire swap, that once could ruin a day (I keep CO2 handy just in case).

My next pump will be a reservoir just for that. I had to tube at my last race and it worked out, but I don't like to rely on that option. I use a separate pressure gauge, I don't rely on the pump at all since they tend to have horrible resolution.

20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have one of the Topeak Joe Blow Mountain large volume pumps. Works GREAT at seating tubeless most of the time, and fills up tires fast. It has a low pressure gauge that is easy to read and 100% accurate according to my separate fancy gauge. Recommended if you want a pump and don't need the tubeless reservoir (which I do wish I had).

pu242a06.jpg

mike, Mikie, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
  21. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I have a few floor pumps (4-5).
    I'm not in love with any of them, but I use each one differently.

I have an old Blackburn that I attached a ball needle to. My son uses it to pump his basketball (and other balls).
    Then I have "the white one" that I use for my road bike. It has a 0-260psi gauge.
    Additionally, my wife bought me the Bontrager Charger that worked so well I ended up buying a compressor.
    When I got my 27.5+ tires I realized I need a pump with a 0-30 gauge, so I bought the Toppeak JoeBlow Fat.
    I was going to write a review about it, but I'm too lazy (its very fast, but at times it requires unreasonable amount of effort).
    In my glove box, I have Topeak TURBO MORPH™ G. that works well I forget to check my tire pressure at home. Unfortunately, I broke the plastic foot rest (I replaced it with an aluminum piece).

I use my $100 air compressor for tubeless installs only.

kioti, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  22. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I bought a regular floor pump when I picked up my HT years ago but it isn't accurate enough so I use an accu-gage. Those blaster things look cool for road trips. Currently I just use my floor pump and pump tires up a little more than needed then bleed air out to the correct PSI using the gauge. Tubeless setups are done with the ol Champion Commandair.

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3456.JPG

kioti, mike, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  23. Chevrolegs

Chevrolegs Member

Name:
    Steven
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    I use a Genuine Innovations Race pump.. gets the job done for the most part. The gauge reads to 160 psi, but I just go off of feeling.

mike and Mikie like this.
  24. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I had the same gauge. I think I dropped and broke it. But 1/4" NPT is easy to find a new gauge for, so I just swapped it out.

mike, Mikie and Cornholio like this.
  25. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I've been using a $35 Specialized floor pump. It's about dunno 7 or 8 years old. I have a small compressor that I use to seat tubless tires. I picked up a digital gauge about a year ago. It changed my life.

mike, Mikie and Cornholio like this.
  26. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Most of the time I use a high-volume Lezyne floor drive with the digital gauge upgrade/replacement after the first analog guage died, no issues seating tires with that thing.

But at home, when I want to seat a tire or inflate a tire from completely flat, I use a Craftsman Air compressor I got for xmas years ago. But with a homemade pistol inflator that I made out of a Lezyne HV chuck and a $7 car inflator that looked suspiciously like the same thing at the LBS for $45.

20170530_141711.jpg

mtnbikej, kioti, littlewave and 5 others like this.
  27. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Thanks for all the information that you guys offered. I think what I'm going to do is go to my LBS (ThePath) and look at what pumps they have and more than likely get a high quality gauge like the Accu Gauge. I went onto the Accu Gauge website and they have one that is specific to 30 psi and under. That's kind of what I was most interested in anyways.

One more question...Have you guys felt that the gauges get clogged if any sealant like Stans or Orange get in the head?

mtnbikej, mike and UPSed like this.
  28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's the gauge I picked up almost a year ago. I use it weekly on a couple of bikes. No clogging whatsoever. What I like about it is you can bleed off any extra air instead of rechecking each time you hit the Presta Valve.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XISIK4/?tag=imtbtrails-20

29. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Nahhh, dry ice bombs are what I saw empty 3L soda pop bottles used for back in the day. ;)

mike, Sidewalk and Cyclotourist like this.
  30. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I've never really thought about that. I usually rotate the valve to the top of the tire then insert the gauge. I do it out of habit since with the valve rotated to the top of the tire...there is little or no spray when I remove the pump head.

mtnbikej, kioti and mike like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?