five ten danny mcaskill shoes for trail/dh riding?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sir crashalot, Mar 30, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Have anyone used the 5 10 Danny Macaskill shoes for chunky trail/AM riding? i always have trouble finding shoes that work for me, the last couple years Ive been using the Impact VXi's, which fit my wide feet, have a soft EVA midsole (which I like, the stiff rock hard soles just kill my feet) and are flexible enough for hike a bike. Sadly, they are discontinued and gone in my size, i ordered the new impact pros and was bummed they have the really hard sole evem though they fit perfectly. Freeriders are too narrow. I also tried Speccy 2fo 2.0's which have a super comfy sole but are too narrow. Frustrating. Saw the Danny Macaskill, which has an eva midsole but not as much protection as impacts or freeriders, looks more like a dirt jump shoe?. Anyone have any experience with these for chunky trail riding and dh? Fit wide feet?any other suggestions for comfortable yet grippy, wide fitting flat pedal shoes? Thanks.

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thank you for posting this! I like 5.10 shoes a lot, put the hard soles of the Freeride line don't work with my feet at all. And the Approach kind that I use are a bit light weight and too flexible. I have been looking at the Macaskill model as it seems to be right in the middle. Plus a leather upper which I like.

3. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    waht approach shoes are you using?

4. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The Aescent model, I don't think they sell them any more.

I have also sorta' looked at the Spitfire model along with the Macaskills.

5. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Yeah , the aescent didnt fit me. The spitfire isnt grippy enough.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  6. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Freeriders narrow? Have you tried the Pro model? I have wide feet and a high instep. Pretty much all that fit me appropriately are Northwave shoes when I used to ride clipless and now 5-10 Freeriders. Both the Pros and regular fit great.

UPSed and Cyclotourist like this.
  7. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    yes the pro is the one ive tried. Just too tight across met heads. I just took a spin in the impact pros and i think theyll be ok, fit good but just wish it had a cushioned sole. I ordered the danny macaskills too ill report back.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  8. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Well, that didnt work out. the d-macs are way too narrow in the front. Five ten and reviews state that it has a soft comfortable eva midsole layer, if its there its under a rock hard plate. Ugh.
    I also ordered Ion Raid Amp to check out. The saga continues...

Cyclotourist likes this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Way to take one for the team, Gary! I'm okay with narrow, but need a semi-flexible mid-sole. Will keep looking!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?