Fire Season Stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Runs with Scissors, Aug 3, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    This is particularly in regard to the Ferguson fire outside (now in) Yosemite, but we can probably pool all our fire-related stuff here.

The Ferguson fire is now inside Yosemite: Yosemite Valley is evacuated and closed; Wawona is evacuated and closed; Glacier Point Road is closed and being used as a staging area...on the upside, now's the time to get that elusive campground/hotel reservation if you actually believe they'll reopen Sunday.

On the one hand this needs to happen, to burn out the overgrowth that has occurred due to over-zealous and misguided suppression efforts over the last 100 years; on the other hand it's no bueno for one of my favorite spots in the short term.

Maybe it'll burn out the bark beetle infestation. Gotta look at any potential upside.

https://sierranewsonline.com/ferguson-fire-jumps-highway-41-in-yosemite-heads-for-badger-pass/

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I hear winds are going to be a problem throughout the state.

3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I just drove down from Tahoe today. The entire Tahoe basin is filled with heavy smoke. When we packed the car this AM it was covered in ash. The entire state (west of the Sierras) was filled with heavy smoke. You couldn't see the islands on Mono Lake from the west shore. I stopped in Victorville and the people were amazed - asking "where is this smoke coming from?" The first time I saw blue sky and the sun was when I was on the 241 heading south.

That's about 500 miles of smoke-covered landscape.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1HacmM5E2ueL-FT2c6QMVzoAmE5M19GAf&ll=37.5918150386657,-119.20471774023434&z=10

1024x1024.jpg

kioti, mike, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Interesting article I saw this morning as it gets into a bit on the results of some fire investigations. Can't recall which one, but there was some talk of punishments for starting fires in one of the recent fire-related threads. We've had a few unfortunate cases of arson recently but I imagine most fires are started unintentionally. Perhaps what we need are some public education campaigns to point out some of the common causes and get people thinking before they do something that could risk starting a fire.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/b...ring-fire-with-us’/ar-BBMa4vZ?ocid=spartandhp

6. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Even most fires started unintentionally are started by negligence. Just like almost all car crashes (not accidents).
    Do something stupid and there should be consequences if you cause damage.
    The article even deflects that power line causes are man made. Most of those are due to poor maintenance and tree trimming.

mtnbikej, Runs with Scissors and mike like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?