Fire Season Stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Runs with Scissors, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    This is particularly in regard to the Ferguson fire outside (now in) Yosemite, but we can probably pool all our fire-related stuff here.

The Ferguson fire is now inside Yosemite: Yosemite Valley is evacuated and closed; Wawona is evacuated and closed; Glacier Point Road is closed and being used as a staging area...on the upside, now's the time to get that elusive campground/hotel reservation if you actually believe they'll reopen Sunday.

On the one hand this needs to happen, to burn out the overgrowth that has occurred due to over-zealous and misguided suppression efforts over the last 100 years; on the other hand it's no bueno for one of my favorite spots in the short term.

Maybe it'll burn out the bark beetle infestation. Gotta look at any potential upside.

https://sierranewsonline.com/ferguson-fire-jumps-highway-41-in-yosemite-heads-for-badger-pass/

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I hear winds are going to be a problem throughout the state.

3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I just drove down from Tahoe today. The entire Tahoe basin is filled with heavy smoke. When we packed the car this AM it was covered in ash. The entire state (west of the Sierras) was filled with heavy smoke. You couldn't see the islands on Mono Lake from the west shore. I stopped in Victorville and the people were amazed - asking "where is this smoke coming from?" The first time I saw blue sky and the sun was when I was on the 241 heading south.

That's about 500 miles of smoke-covered landscape.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1HacmM5E2ueL-FT2c6QMVzoAmE5M19GAf&ll=37.5918150386657,-119.20471774023434&z=10

1024x1024.jpg

4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon