Finding new trails

Dirtrider....

Hey all... i'll be camping at Willow Beach Campground next month. Its just south of Hoover Dam on the Colorado river. Seems like a quiet cool place.

I cannot seem to find any riding areas around there on the apps or maps i'm using.

Does anyone have experience in this area? I don't mind driving to a trailhead but I just can't seem to find any trails in that area.

Starting to wonder if Mount Wilson Wilderness and Lake Mead National Rec Area do allow or have trails even for hiking.

Trailforks is your friend.
Bootleg Canyon to the north in Boulder City is the closest and gnarrrrliest. That'd be the place.
Kingman to the south, much mellower trails but a longer drive to get there.
McCullough/Sloan Canyon is less than 10 minutes past Bootleg and offers a lot less gnar!
A shite ton of trails on the west side of Vegas, about an hour from Willow Beach.

If Lake Mohave is a Govt run park, then cycling off road is likely prohibited. However, there should be a Sh!t-tons of hiking trails (perhaps unmarked) around the hills of the area where you are staying. It's likely that there are local secret riding trails not far away from where you are staying as well but the locals usually keep pretty tight lipped about that stuff. Bring some fishing gear. It's striper fishing season right now!

Last edited:
Thanks... yeah i saw Bootleg and will most likely check that place out. Was hoping for trails near camp.

Sooo much open desert with zero trails for hiking or biking is just wrong. lol

Look up Liberty Bell Trail on Trailforks. It is closer than Bootleg and you can hike or bike. It looks like a decent trail, only looking via satellite maps. I have never done this trail.

That article shows how poorly our local USFS manages land. A bunch of people access our public lands, so they respond by closing it off for a decade plus.

Back