Enduro style gloves

Discussion in 'Gloves' started by SnakeCharmer, Nov 28, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I need to start thinking about new gloves since my current gloves have been discontinued.

Looking for something that will offer some finger protection for aggressive riding, maybe some extra thickness on top of the fingers, but not hard shell padding. I don't want heavy, bulky, motion restrictive gloves.

My current gloves have some padding in the palms and I am OK with gel padding as long as it's thin.

What are you guys using and what do you recommend.?

Voodoo Tom, Mikie, Cornholio and 4 others like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Since they're all disposable, I look for cheap ones that cover the wrist and have fingers long enough. Not much of an answer, Mike. Like a bad haircut – if you don't like it, just wait.

The worst thing IMO is gloves that are too tight. Cyclists love that shi† for some reason...an outgrowth of lycra, no doubt. Loose is warmer and more comfortable, but doesn't look nearly as bitchin'.

3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
  4. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I used to wear armored gloves and I eventually found that they didn't provide any additional protection. I found that generally my hands are relatively fragile and the real pain comes from crushing types of situations and not abrasions. To that end, I found that the discomfort and distraction (odd fit on the top of my hand and fingers) of the armored gloves wasn't worth the minimal (if any) increase in actual protection. I know it sounds nuts, but most of the guys I ride have sorta come to this realization like I have in the last 2 years or so.

I've gone full circle and I will only wear single layer palm gloves that DO NOT have a strap closure at the wrist and no padding at the palm or fingers. I've found that basically any padding on my palm creates hot spots and I'm far better off with a thin glove and a cushier grip then any padding in gloves at all. Previously my favorites in this vein were Fox Demo. I've since switched over to Tasco gloves and I have like 5 pairs now. I'm obsessed and they are amazing.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, bvader and 12 others like this.
  5. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    @Ebruner Agree with all you said. :thumbsup: I too am a fan of the Tasco stuff, so much so I modeled for them...but I also like the 100% iTrack gloves.

IMG_20170409_150537_257.jpg

6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Wow! I have never seen anyone actually wearing Tasco product. I thought they were in the same ranks as Kitsbow.

I don't wear an Enduro specific glove. The gloves I wear are Royal Racing, single layer palms and no strap. Very similar to what @Ebruner described. I like the minimalist approach, just run thick and spongy Oury grips.

7. Ebruner

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    Amen! The tasco stuff is actually really really well priced. Their matching glove/sock combo kits are 45 bucks. I honestly consider their gloves significantly better then anything I've worn from TLD, Dakine and FOX. I'm a pretty serious glove snob and I'm really impressed with the quality of the tasco product and I actually think it's under priced by about $10 compared to what i would pay for a pair of defeet woolyators and a set of premium gloves.

8. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    like the idea of no strap to close the gloves. who stocks Tasco locally in Orange County?

9. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    They're in Sandy Eggo. Order online. Plus they're having a sale! 25% of entire site.

https://www.tasco-mtb.com/

10. The trend has been going to lighter, thinner, more flexible short cuff gloves. Like Troy Lee "air", and Dakine "concept" etc. Which are both comfy.
    The troy lees come out of the best sweat shop, and there are worth the price. Most the rest come from Chinese b list less consistent sweat shops. The really crappy ones come out of Pakistan or India and are visibility crap from 10 feet away.

1. I still prefer over all others Troy Lee XC. They last the longest, fit me the best, are semi breathable/cool, and semi warm when its cold, offer decent protection.
    2. Fox, fly, raceface ride 100% are Sh!t and come unsewn and don't fit me great.
    3. For a little better protection, but not bulky i love the discontinued Troy Lee GP. They don't breath as good, but have a silicone pattern on the palm and all fingers that is super sticky to your grips with is great. The have survived some local lobster fishing to. and as a back up the Dakine Cross X(my pair is the older style though, new ones look better)

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, kioti and 7 others like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm liking the simplicity of these Tasco gloves. Do they "breathe" well?

OMG, there's actually a GLOVE forum page?! :rolleyes:

Is this place bitchen or what? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, bvader and 5 others like this.
  12. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    They're gonna breathe way better than the glove style you were originally asking about, that I know! ;)

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
  13. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    For$10, hard to go wrong trying.

Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay, mike and 2 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Those who know me will find this hard to believe, but I am not on trend. :confused: I am still running the "enduro" style gloves with finger protection, snot wiper and some palm protection. The problem is ALWAYS the weak-ass velcro closures, which wear out long before the glove does.

TLD Ruckus for me. https://www.troyleedesigns.com/ruckus-glove

(And I am never on trend. I clung to the following longer than most people: bar ends, rim brakes, aluminum frame, 26" wheels, 2 x 10, non-dropper post, inner tubes and more) The only trends I was ahead on were slacker head angles via 160 mm fork with thru axle and big stanchions, and a clutch rear derailleur.

15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    ^ Those are nice too, Herz.

16. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Danmtchl, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  17. Ebruner

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    The ace 2 is a really great glove. It's the only other glove on the market that I clicks every box for me, but the finger fitment in TLD is a bit odd for me. I can't fit into the large and the XL fits me except for the spot between my thumb and index finger. If it it weren't for that, I'd have never even tried the tasco's because the ace is pretty much the same with regards to features and construction.

Danmtchl, Cornholio, mike and 4 others like this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You nailed that one. Webbed thumb-index no good!

IMG_0110.jpg

Hey, @StrandLeper, check out the grime :p:cool:

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  20. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Perfect beer holding pose....
    Looks like it couldn't handle all the beer cans it was made to hold....

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Maybe it was all the booty honking. All with consent, of course! :geek:

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  22. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Don't laugh but after killing so many kinds of gloves my favorites were "Scary Fast," and golf gloves. The leather in a golf glove is the bomb, but golf gloves only survive one trip down to the trail and they rip. I found bike gloves always let loose on the finger seams. Dakine: guaranteed for life, but just the life of the glove. So for many years I have been wearing gloves that look like Fox, but they are Husky work gloves. They are padded in the correct places and reinforced in the correct places as well. They are crash proven, and they last for a very long time of repeated abuse. I know, I am the crash test dummy
    Happy trails with great hand protection

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  23. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Oh yeah man! Those Scary Fast gloves were the Sh!t!
    Currently using Specialized XC comp. Cheap, and very lightly padded on the edges of the palm. No protection.

24. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Same here. I also prefer a one piece palm with no seams. My favorite glove for years has been Oakley Factory Pilot. They're getting harder to find now so I stock up when I find them, especially if cheap. Got some pairs on the Oakley site a few years ago for $10/pr and at Chili Peppers in Moab the last two years for $15-20/pr. I now have a good 10+ year supply. I find they hold up pretty well. Sometimes they'll split along the side of a finger and I'm not above sewing that up. I have a few well used pairs I still use for shorter local rides that are going on 5-6 years old.

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  25. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Been using the stuff from 7IDP for the last year or so and no complaints. Local to me company that offers some ridiculous deals that I won't post (there's always PM's...). Cheap prices don't mean sh!t to me though if the quality sucks. Used to have TLD stuff but it was at least double the price and no better quality wise.

Sweet summertime hot weather gloves even though they are dirty & stinky & stiff at the moment. These are the transition glove. Picked up in the single digit price range.
    IMG_6796.jpg

Now that temps are below a thousand degrees these are my go to gloves. These are the Flex glove. A bit of palm padding and some extra built in protection without being bulky. Also just enough to keep my hand warm on my current 6am commutes. These are dirty & stinky too thats's why my gloves stay in the garage. Picked up in the very low double digit price range.
    IMG_6795.jpg

Oh and the chain in the background is a clapped out XT 11 speed that probably isn't even good to be used for a jump rope anymore..

26. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I just did a Glugle search on them.. Quite a few peep's still write about them. Some noted cool weather riding and breathing gloves. I do not get that cold here is the Conejo but when I feel wimpy on a winter evening I will put on a pair of neoprene gloves under them and the wind does not penetrate so you stay toasty the entire ride. Lucky for me we have not started winter quite yet. I wish I had the same for my feet.

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @Voodoo Tom, nice hookup. If you can, cut me in on your next order. No urgency. I'd be in for XL in both of the styles you showed. Can PPal you F&F or whatever ya need. :):thumbsup:

Voodoo Tom likes this.
  28. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Note to self: Never sniff any of Tom's gloves. :eek:

I have never heard of this company before but I checked out their website and they seem like the real deal. Thanks for sharing this Tom. :thumbsup:

https://7protection.com/row/

QUESTION: Do these fit true to the measurement, or a little snug or loose? I'm a rider who regularly removes his gloves during a ride to take pictures. Are they easy to remove and put back on a sweaty hand?

mike and Old&InTheWay like this.
  29. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Jenson carries the 7IDP, I was looking at them recently there.

dustyyoungblood and mike like this.
  30. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I think they fit true to size.

7idp is partnered w/ royal racing. same gloves, different labels and colorways. Both make superior products w/ good price points compared to the bigger name brands.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?