"E mtn bikes r us" (rock n road) boycott?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrandLeper, May 28, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    By the way, any advice for local bike shop employees whose boss tells them they have to sell these things?

Mikie likes this.
  2. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Just like every other job you want to keep, I guess do what the boss says.(but don't try very hard?) It's not the employees fault, and it's not worth becoming unemployed. Or have a polite conversation with boss person and try to persuade.

kioti and Mikie like this.
  3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My boss just wants them gone, So we don't have to look at them anymore. We don't want them and did not in the first place. But a great customer wanted one and we had to get 4 on the initial order. Anyone want to buy a Prodecotech? It not a E-mtb, but just a regular e-bike.

kioti and Mikie like this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Remember this thread was supposed to cease and desist, UPSed even unplugged it, yah right! Now we have another thread that we can disolve into. I'm going there with a proposal and I hope it catches fire! Maybe with the new thread this one will flame out?

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  5. Neal

Neal Newbie

Name:
    Neal
    Current Bike:
    Focus
    Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Not a bit...

;)

Mikie, mike, Oaken and 8 others like this.
  8. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    @Cornholio just got back from the movie theater with my family, it was a kids movie....but this thread is going to be good ! Care to share some popcorn?

Mikie, mtnbikej, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
  9. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    [expletive string deleted] Whatever. I couldn't care less. I will never drop another dime into that shop or any of their shops. And, I spend a bit on bikes. And don't ask for bro deals. And sometimes, for effect, I start sentences with the word "And." And ... done.

Mikie, mike, herzalot and 10 others like this.
  10. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I think that's what these shops who think they can deal to both cyclists and e-bikers aren't considering. You'll probably make a tidy profit on a single e-bike but that person isn't coming back year after year to buy more bikes, gear, components.
    That e-bike guy will probably be back a few times to get a tire changed or bitch about his brakes but he's not buying more bikes and he'll move onto some other lame toy.

I agree completely with your original post @StrandLeper. I won't spend my dough with a shop that's willing to sell us out like that.

Mikie, mike, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  11. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
  12. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Last week I was passed by a dude on an E bike while climbing Space. The dude said he is now riding twice as far in the same time and having a blast. I know he was carrying twice my speed up the switchbacks. As I entered onto the switchback above I could smell the ozone for a few yards. He was the only one I saw on the trail. The rest was empty bliss.
    Happy empty trails

13. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The way the oc parks policy reads, it looks like you could probably get away with riding a mobility scooter up Rockit if you claim you are disabled. The Rangers are directed to take your word for it.

Some more clarification is called for.

14. Neal

Neal Newbie

Name:
    Neal
    Current Bike:
    Focus
    Actually, It's very clear:

"Multiuse Single Track Trail: Unpaved, narrow gauge trail, suitable for multiple activities, including hiking, mountain biking or equestrian riding.
    In-line Devices not to exceed 26โ€ inch maximum width and a maximum wheel width of 6โ€.

DOJ Assessment Factors
    Justification: ยง 35.137 Mobility Devices Assessment Factors (i and v) Characteristics of the device create a substantial risk of substantial harm to the environment or natural resources. These are narrow trails where two-way traffic would require pedestrians to step off the trail and harm natural resources when allowing passage of OPDMD (other power-driven mobility devices) devices larger than 26โ€ wide.

Definitions:

Electric-powered mobility devices include:
    any mobility device powered by batteries, including multiple passenger carts (three or four wheels), electronic personal assistance mobility devices (EPAMDs - such as the Segway PT), battery-powered bikes (two or three wheels) and single passenger scooters (three or four wheels).

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Haven't we already beaten this horse sufficiently??? And, methinks @Neal may be an instigator.

MolarM, mike, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  16. Neal

Neal Newbie

Name:
    Neal
    Current Bike:
    Focus
    Sorry, I wasn't aware that stating laws and facts was considered instigating.

17. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    @Neal This thread was not about narrow ADA application, but about general public access to sensitive trails using e- bikes or e-assist bikes. The fact that folks can use the ADA to justify trail use of the above vehicles is not a revelation, but thanks for the info. If you read the six or seven prior pages of this thread, you will see why the term "instigate" was used.

In any event, if you ride mountain bikes and like to chat about them when you are not riding (and meet great people, and learn LOTS) you will no doubt be a welcome member of this forum. If you instead like to stir the shizzle about e-bikes on sensitive trails on forums, the welcome mat might not be laid out so neatly. But admin @Mikie will no doubt address that with you.

So what's your stake in this e-situation?

All the best.

herzalot, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 8 others like this.
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Okay, these electric thingies are legal. So is hiking, horse riding and bird watching. Let's get back to talking about what this site is about: mountain bikes and mountain biking. Maybe go off-topic and discuss passive aggressive trolling.

19. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I say instigator...

20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Considering that you just joined, obviously haven't used the site's search feature, only post about e-bikes on a mountain bike forum, and haven't even bothered to introduce yourself... Yes, you are an instigator.

21. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I like instigators. I too instigator. You all stinky!

@Neal, if you ride well, and in fact better than your "opposition," then right on! If you need a battery to power anything but lights and maaaaaybe shifters on your bike, then you so stinky!

22. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay, okay, hold the phone.
    @Neal Hey bud! I'm Mikie the owner/admin of imtbtrails. Thanks for the info on eBikes. I think the reason folks are so sensitive over them is we just went through a nice post war on that subject last year.
    So to be honest, we are kinda done with debates on eBikes. Is your only interest in eBikes? Do you ride an eBike? Do you sell them?
    I see you shared you have a Focus. I saw a couple on top of a car rack once and they were pretty awesome.

I hope that your interest is in real mountain bikes, if you are, awesome! if not then this may not be the "best" forum for yah. :)
    However, Welcome! To imtbtrails...

Mikie

MattB, DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  23. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    The Path too not just RnR.
    and I am not an Instigator! damn it!
    Keep the dream alive...
    Screenshot_20170117-090425.png

24. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Yeah I saw that at the path live oak last week.
    SIGH....

25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And there's an ad on Craigslist from some guy who's selling the brand new 2017 Haibike out of his garage...

26. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Maybe their not so bad after all...?
    why-are-ebikes-all-the-rage-because-they-and-apos;re-plenty-of-fun-to-ride_swOC27G2X.jpg.jpg

StrandLeper, kioti, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  27. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I have to stop clicking on this thread.
    3c86311bb2da0edbb22e1b01a5e4a80a.jpg

28. E MTB bikes would be really really really in tons of places other than crowded county trails!!!! go die you e-F@ck heads.

BTW, its also a problem at the beach. Apparently full blast e fat bikes are the way to mangle pedestrians in HB

mtnbikej and UPSed like this.
  29. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    So, do I pull my order from the Path? Probably bad form ... but I will talk with the boys and girls there and let them know that they perhaps have just built me my last bike...

30. Boycotting small local businesses is stupid. Cracking down on e-bike enforcement is useful

Maddog, DBMX119 and UPSed like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.