DECKAS oval chainring review

Discussion in 'Drive Trains' started by Torrent77, Nov 28, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    I think $20 is about what I would spend on this chainring.

Overall, the material seems good, but I had to use my angle grinder and mill some material away from the mounting tangs for it to fit my cranks. Initial impressions is that they feel like regular chainrings except when you are in the wrong gear. Too light of a gear and your banging your pawls into the freehub during the power stroke. Once you account for this, you end up in a taller gear which smooths out your pedaling. I just wish they did some math and clocked the ovalality, ovalness, ??? position like how wolftooths are done. Hopefully this makes sense, as I'm still 2 cups shy of my daily coffee dose.

Pros
    They are oval
    No jumped chains

Cons,
    No thought into clocking
    Mounting tabs required an angle grinder to fit my cranks

herzalot, RS VR6 and mtnbikej like this.
  2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I bought one of these also, couldn't really tell the difference until I bought a new crank with a round ring. I could tell the loss of power when I went back to the round. It really seems to make a difference. I did not have any problems mounting it up on my old Truvstiv Stylo crankset. Never a problem with the shifting or dropping chains. For $20.00 you really can't go wrong. The only thing I didn't like that the chainring bolt didnt bolt up flush in the back.