Coronavirus. Not to be confused with Norcovirus.

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Mar 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Mikie, Danmtchl and rossage like this.
  2. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Good article in treehugger.com today on 6' social distancing (or, as I've said before, 30' antisocial distancing). Maybe someone more adept than I can post the reference if this is of interest. Seems appropriate for us, especially when fall rolls around and more individuals are coughing and sneezing. They talk about 6', but that's only one - two seconds if you're behind someone and walking (3 mph = 4+ ft/second). and much less on a bike (unless it's me riding uphill).

3. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

4. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Mikie, Danimal, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  6. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Good thing you used the word experts instead of scientists..... We all know how dodgy that lot are

Mikie, Danmtchl, rossage and 2 others like this.
  7. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Ok?

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  8. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    The way things were going here in Arizona we were going to be the first state to get herd immunity. It’s died down a lot so I guess not going to be the “winners” or is that losers? :(

Mikie, HBkites, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  9. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yes, they are never true, my head is spinning from the evil which is upon us!

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  10. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Oooohhh
    I like the one where the lady said the wildfires are being started by a high energy beam.

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I think the concept of herd immunity is a lot nearer than many people think. We've got confirmed case rates at close to 2%... but no one knows how many people had it who never got tested. For that you have to run a statistical sample of the population at large... and apparently no one cares enough to do so. A couple of early local tests were suggesting it could be as high as 20-25%.

FWIW their estimate for the Spanish flu was that about 33% of the population got it after two years, at which point it burned out.

12. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    OC antibody testing is 95% negative. And if you consider the number of people who haven’t been tested, it’s more likely than not that the <2% number is correct. It’s more likely that we’re seeing a combination of all the public health measures working together. Masks are probably 25%-50% effective, and we’re probably encountering 25%-50% fewer people per day on average. Put those two things together and you get to herd immunity quickly. But remove the restrictions and the herd percentage goes right back.

Mikie, sir crashalot and UPSed like this.
  13. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    You need 65-70% of the population to test positive for herd. 20-25% is pretty far from that.

Mikie, fos'l, tick and 1 other person like this.
  14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Well, with 960,000 deaths due to Covd19, as a world we are getting close to the 1968 flu pandemic, which killed 1 million. We still have a while to go before we get close to the 1957 flu pandemic, which killed 2 million, particularly given the fact that in 1957 the global population was about 1/3 what it is today.

Mikie likes this.
  15. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    https://www.theguardian.com/comment...lse-positive-existentialist-which-one-are-you

1. The false positives
    “Well, no,” this lot will tell you, “a pandemic is not quite what the doctor ordered, but being together has been quite an adventure. The heated garden room came in very handy, and, miraculously, the lady of the house managed to home-school the children and still do her little job. She is a wonder on Zoom – marvellous! We’ve had long bike rides en famille, and Persephone may be just seven, but she now knows her way around a sourdough starter. Her brother, unfortunately, rarely leaves his bedroom. Boys!

“We missed Puglia, of course, but doing a jigsaw in a static caravan in Fowey more than made up for it. It’s been a revelation for me in particular. My work-life balance is so much better, and 14 hours a day whiz by.

“I was, though, slightly perturbed to find a note on the fridge last night from my better half saying she is leaving and to never make contact with her again. I am sure it’s her little joke. Funny chaps, women!”

2. The graph fetishists
    “Look at the curve. Look at how it flattens. Look how it shoots up. Look at Germany. Look at Spain. Is that the right slide, Sir Patrick?”

I have never seen so many graphs or understood less. Partly because they only flash up on screen for 10 seconds and partly because of the subliminal message: “You are all going to die.” I am sure I am not the only one seeing this, right? One death is terrible; 40,000 is too big to grasp. Statistics are not my thing. They are not the ministers’ thing either.

The graph people leave me as cold as when I watched a coffin being taken out of a house down the road. “She was very old,” everyone said. I felt very old.

3. The snoops
    They were out in force long before this rule of six. They monitored the clapping. I did not clap enough, ever. And now they can snoop in our gardens or on who is coming into my house for the endless illegal raves I will be having with my mate and an out-of-control pug. On the apps that are meant to build local communities, everyone is already going wild, suspicious basically of all young people: schoolchildren leaving school(!), people having picnics … They link all this to actual crime – bike thefts and stabbings – and in the long insomniac nights when the helicopters circle I wonder, too, what they are looking for. Murderers? Germs? People who can no longer survive financially?

I dream of the Stasi Museum in East Berlin, the most ordered place ever.

4. The covidiot savants
    Sure, there are your spoilt rock stars, from Ian Brown to Noel Gallagher to Van Morrison – selfish pigs, to be blunt. But I know “normal” people who think Bill Gates is trying to kill them. They don’t know anyone who has died of Covid. It’s just flu.

Alternative medicine has a lot to offer, one told me the other day. She wouldn’t be having the vaccine, she said. Good! More for us less spiritual types who have successfully resisted 5G, lizard-baiting Ickesters and Bach flower remedies.

5. The eco death cult
    “Covid is great because, look, we may be dying, but we are saving the planet from flying, cars and pointless travel. And we only need to work two hours a week, and the rest of the time we can plant magic beans.”

The virus is trying to tell us something? Well, yes. It is telling us it wants us dead, impoverished and more unequal than ever. A virus is not a radical solution to a crisis of our own making.

6. The freelance epidemiologists
    They have read a study from the US, which said that restaurants are viral vectors and one from Japan where it says we must not talk loudly. They say things such as: “T-cells are where it’s at.”

I know because I am one. They say: “Stand back” – until they have a glass of wine, and then they say: “Gissa a hug – it’s been so long.” They talk about Sweden a lot, though they have never been there. They think information is power. Which it is for about one hour in the pub.

7. The ‘I had it in November’ clan
    I know a number of people who claim to have had Covid before it appeared in Wuhan. They are the same kind of people who say they have flu when they have a cold. Is this magical thinking? As an amateur virologist, what do I know? Sod all.

8. The pragmatists
    “Hygge peaked too early. Now comes the winter of our discontent. Get the hot chocolate on, a blanket, brandy, mittens. Let your sadness draw in as the nights do. Feel whatever it is you feel. There are no wrong feelings right now. Just warm your hands by the fire.”

9. The unrewarded heroes
    “No more applause. Pay rises, furlough extensions, respect!”

10. The existentialists
    “We are all dying anyway.” This lot are always a laugh. “There is not love of life without despair about life,” said funny old Camus. I prefer Mae West: “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”

scan, BonsaiNut, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Obsidian, Derkderkall, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You forgot to include "e-bikes are everywhere".

Oaken, tick, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  18. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    N O V A C C I N E S !
    E V E R !
    M Y B O D Y, M Y C H O I C E!

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Oaken, Obsidian, HBkites and 2 others like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Don't steal my idea, Man. :stop:

I was actually thinking of starting a GoFundMe... I want to bring back Polio. Did we have to get rid of it so soon? Seems like we jumped the gun with that one.

And... If the Polio campaign is successful, I was thinking we could look at Small Pox... And maybe cholera. My family's village was wiped out in the pandemic of 1873, but I'm n0t sure the disease got a fair shake.

tick, rossage, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  21. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Did you know that vaxxines are not safe for everyone? AND, not a single one has ever been double blind placebo tested. Not a single one is FDA approved. Did you know that some people are unable to flush out the toxins that are injected into them via vaxxines? Did you know these toxins can AND DO cause many different types of issues including developmental, neurological, sensory, etc.? Did you know that if you were vaxxine injured you CANNOT sue the manufacturer of the vaxxine? There was a law passed in 1986(I believe) that prevents individuals from suing manufacturers. You CAN sue for compensation, but its not the manufacturer you're suing. You are suing a Vaxxine Court that is funded via taxpayer dollars. So, when you sue for vaxxine injuries it is being paid for by you, me, and anyone else that pays taxes. Why is that? How come the manufacturers don't have to pay up, they're the ones who created the vax to begin with.

22. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Here here

Mikie likes this.
  23. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Yikes.. social media is a hellava drug. People can twist things any which way but hopefully common sense prevails for the majority.

I’ll listen to my doctors before any Karens or Kevins that post anti-vaccination crap on social media.

https://vaxopedia.org/2018/12/23/why-arent-vaccines-regulated-like-drugs/

https://www.managedhealthcareconnec...lay-complementary-roles-vaccine-policy-making

tick, Mikie, Derkderkall and 2 others like this.
  24. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Cornholio you're free to choose as you wish, just as I am.

My beliefs are not stemmed from social media. I was raised this way, long before social media. Be careful what you assume of others.

Using vaxopedia as reference is as credible as using wikipedia.

25. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I didn’t need to include any links to justify my comment. If we all chose to not vaccinate our children this world would be a lot worse than it is right now. Nothing you post with CAPS on will change that.

I’ll leave it at that because I already know that opinions will not be changed on a forum, nor is that my intent. I’d say it’s funny if anything but it really isn’t funny at all.

Mikie and Derkderkall like this.
  26. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
  27. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Wikipedia is not a credible source.
    Just saying...:whistling:

mtnbikej, Mikie, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  28. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :laugh::Roflmao

Old&InTheWay and Mikie like this.
  29. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Exactly my point.

rossage, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  30. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Not sure what information people care to share but has anybody on here tested positive for C19? What symptoms did you have? Were you hospitalized? Did you die? I've had to be tested twice myself before I could get out-patient medical procedures done but as expected, both tests were negative.

I have two friends who had their 80+ year old mothers die in some version of nursing homes, one in Michigan & one in Chula Vista, who supposedly died from C19. The only other person I know that tested positive was my 23 year old nephew and all he had was an elevated temp of 99 degrees. It didn't stop him from doing solo MTB rides so it couldn't have been too bad.

My old department has about 1800-1900 officers who are obviously dealing with the dirtiest conditions imaginable at times (I dealt with people who had live bugs crawling on them while I spoke with them) and they've only had "20 something" test positive as of last month. That's miraculously low to me considering the amount of drug users, homeless and protesters they have dealt with.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.