Climbing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by herzalot, Jul 19, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    So many of you IMTBers are amazing climbers. I hate you all for it. The numbers you post blow my mind. Yes, I know that if I did ______ I too could rack up better numbers, but I deliberately choose to allocate my time differently. So I will be content with just being envious of you who can rack up 5000 to 10,000' in a single ride.

This Pinkbike Poll admits that the MtB industry seems to have relented to the fun side of the sport and has gone away from climbing efficiency as the number one seller of bikes (as would have been common in the '90s).

Debate, brag, comment, whatever.

Click here to start.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/poll-has-climbing-become-unfashionable.html

~JB~, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 13 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    To each their own. I'll keep my hardtail and gravitate to the climbing side. :thumbsup:

Didn't expect that outta me? :sneaky:

Grego, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 7 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Only because you have never tried a full sus. :sneaky: :sneaky:

I saw your reaction to a better fork. :devilish: :thumbsup:

4. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I love the climbing it’s a sickness:oops:

Walleye, Grego, Mikie and 12 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I love having climbed.

BigTex, Mikie, Obsidian and 12 others like this.
  6. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Even DH bikes kinda sucked at going down hill in the 90s.

120mm stems, 72 degree head angles, 3” of elastomer travel, v-brakes. No amount of purple anodize was going to make your bike go faster with features like that...

So uphill performance can be a real discriminator.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Riders are getting more and more lazy......bottom line.

~JB~, Rumpled, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Speak for yourself mister! I climb as much or more than ever. :cool:

But yeah, the e-bike tag line "more of what you love, less of what you hate..." :facepalm:

Wall-E is coming to fruition! (Along with Idiocracy)

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yup....now that I read the article.....my previous post was spot on.

Rumpled, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 9 others like this.
  10. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I’m down with climbing and enjoy it. Currently trying to figure out how to get a bike that’s more pedal friendly than my current rig.

~JB~, Grego, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I still love the challenge, rhythm, and feeling that a sustained climb brings. But my new bike is heavier by nearly two pounds than any other bike that I have ever owned, and that slows me down a bit.

However, I climb, and therefore, I am.

Rumpled, Grego, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  12. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Charlie Kelly never raced up Mt Tam. QED

Rumpled, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 8 others like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Cranking up grades is kind of like running. It’s not that hard to do it for a long time once you break through the initial barriers. If you can run for 90 minutes, I say you can run a marathon. A standard equation: maximum running time is ~3x your training time (or distance).

Understandably, not everyone can or wants to put in the time to explore the far reaches of their ability. But, in some ways, it gets easier. Duration training will teach your body how to recover during, not just after, the activity. Once you kind of get in that zone, and dial in your prep and intake, you can go darn near indefinitely. That’s how these nuts do all the sick push and multi-day stuff that gets done.

No lie, some riders (or whatever activity) are better athletes than others. But the minds of individuals have been a far bigger impediment to achievement than genes. You can’t even believe what you can accomplish. Your survival instincts don’t want you to believe it.

Walleye, Cisco Roots, Grego and 15 others like this.
  14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    27860B00-8468-4B78-AE1C-D8AE374036FF.jpeg See that red squiggly thing? That means every inch I climb I’m working harder than [most of] you...so there!

~JB~, Cisco Roots, Grego and 13 others like this.
  15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    '07 SX Trail. Full coil. It was a little heavy but one of the best climbing bikes I've ever had. Oh yeah. I used to avoid climbing like the plague but now I plan my rides for the climbs.
    IMG_20190228_100457_862.jpg

~JB~, Cisco Roots, Grego and 13 others like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    There is hope for humanity! It seems that even on Pinkbike most people think there should be balance in the mountain biking universe. :thumbsup:

Seriously, though... How do you justify the plate of tacos after the ride if you don't pedal your ass uphill? Tacos do not come cheap. I figure maybe one taco for every 2,000 feet. On cheat days, and social rides, I'll do one for every 1,000.

Think about it... e-bikers don't earn tacos. They earn bean sprouts. And non-alcoholic light beer.

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 6.17.57 AM.jpg

I'm trying to talk myself into at least a 3 taco ride... The discussions are not going well.

Walleye, Rumpled, Grego and 17 others like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm hoping for at least a two taco ride at SkyPark today!

18. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Yesterday on my weekly hill run there is a short section where I run on a winding sidewalk next to the road. I was passed by two young women on e-bikes. One of them wasn't even pedaling :) I'm here to tell you - if I can run up a hill as part of a 6 mile hill run, you damn well can ride a bike up it :)

I stick to my prior forecast, which is that recreational e-biking (on trails) is a fad. E-bikes make complete sense if you are a commuter and/or live in a city. However whatever motivates people to go outdoors and ride in nature is not suddenly created just because of the advent of e-bikes. I have never seen the same e-bike back in the hills twice. Usually I see people that are like "wow, so this is mountain-biking?" and I never see them again.

I had a moment of sweet revenge two days ago when I saw a middle-aged gentleman pushing an e-bike uphill through a cross walk. Looked like he ran out of charge. He was not a happy camper :)

In related news, my daughter will shortly be going to school at San Jose State. The university has just outlawed all electric scooters/skateboards from campus grounds. Too many accidents.

DBMX119, scan, Grego and 13 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    :laugh::thumbsup:

Negotiate! :cool:

I remember quantifying a given drive in beers. Yea, that’s a two-beer drive. Measuring rides in tacos and/or beers seems more balanced...

20. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Love climbing on my full rigid carbon! Descending rocky techie trails, uh... wrong bike :eek:

IMG_20190716_174226156_2.jpg

~JB~, MrGreedom, scan and 13 others like this.
  21. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I love mountain biking. The sport has saved my life many more times than it has tried to end it.
    The aspect of the sport that allows me the most reflection is the climb. On the climb, I take my time, and meditate. I find that gear, that cadence, where my HR and breathing are stressed but not overly. I imagine circles as I seek a perfect rotation of the cranks. Never find it, but that's why I keep seeking.
    I take my personal troubles and grind them into dust, packed down by my tire tracks and bear prints. I emerge from a sea of depression and anger and enter into a calm lagoon of thoughtfulness and caring.
    "You're nuts!" You say. Climbing sucks! I shuttle. I only ride parks. E-bikers have call me "stupid" for climbing. Saddled with poor fitness and improper gear, these people refuse to accept the Tao of the climb.
    So be it.
    Like a surfer in a wave pool, you're doing something, but you're missing the point.
    The point is not just having fun. The point is getting fit enough to enjoy the whole sport. The point is using your sport to better yourself and your relationships with the people around you. Can't do that bouncing off the jagged, exposed, rocks of Sunset trail.

Sure as shìt you can do it on the climb up there, though.

22. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I don't see anything "fun" about climbing. It is just a way to get to the downhills for me.

kazlx, MrGreedom, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Dude... I need to get to know you better :)

Walleye, MrGreedom, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  24. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I love the challenge of a good climb.

25. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

f@cking AWESOME description!

Walleye, MrGreedom, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  26. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’d submit that the sort of technical climbing that the author of the article is lamenting the death of never really was that big a part of the sport for us mortals.

For most of us, he’s just lamenting the death of hike-a-bike...I’m a big fan of pedaling to get places. But I’m not planning to clean Joplin to the peak. And I’m not above walking some of the moves on San Juan—on the way up.

The article did make a broader point about uphill in general, and I’d agree that a good loop or out and back ride gives a kind of satisfaction that I don’t get from park laps.

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I’m two tacos in!

A35CA8B0-97CC-4CBC-97C1-A591AC84C9BD.jpeg

28. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Maybe "fun" is not the correct word. How about a sense of accomplishment. Climbing 4000 feet to the top of the mountain just so you can look out at the view, not just as a means so you can do the downhill. Much like a rock climber who has reached the summit. Mountain biking for me has always been about the adventure in the outdoors. Getting me to places I wouldn't have explored otherwise. Views from the summits I would not have visited otherwise. Downhill adrenaline is great and all, but not at all what attracted me to mountain biking.

287341_1858127652924_6663770_o.jpg

Walleye, ~JB~, MrGreedom and 18 others like this.
  29. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Well said Rossage. All that and a bag of chips when Gravity takes over.

MrGreedom, scan, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  30. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Climbing for the Win !! :)

Climbing will facilitate adult neurogenesis, the creation of new brain cells, in the Hippocampus and Striatum areas of the brain.
    The Hippocampus is a brain area that is particularly important for cognitive functions such as learning and memory, and for emotions, mood, anxiety and stress response. The Striatum is known for its role in motor coordination and also has important roles in the regulation of reward, aversion, motivation and pleasure. It is recognized as a key structure in higher cognitive functions, particularly in " cognitive flexibility, " the ability to adapt behavioral goals in response to changing contextual demands. :thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?