Cleveland National Forest Conditions Blackout

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by mtnbikej, Aug 4, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Except that the money to do the work, is to pay people to do it. Volunteers are free. We’ve never charged the CNF for any of our trail works.

2. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Right, but rather than putting the bureaucrats on blast, how about engaging the cost number? How much of that number is labor hours that could be offset with volunteers, how much is equipment rental, did they throw in $50k in case they need a helo? I don’t know.

Regarding their use of paid labor: If they’ve got a policy directive to go use FS funds to support disadvantaged kids, no amount of internet abuse of the local paper pusher will make a difference, Congress is the place to direct the attention.

As it is, the Warriors are burnishing their reputation for being a little kooky and tough to work with. Is it possible that the FS has determined that the Warriors aren’t a reliable partner? I don’t know. But yelling into cyberspace won’t get the Warriors’ seat at the table back.

Cyclotourist, mike, kingaucho and 2 others like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Many agencies require the use of the CCC on projects that don't require anything other than supervision and direction of the work. It creates opportunities for the CCC members, so the legislature has decided to use them. Nothing more than that.

Every project using LA County Open Space funds, Prop 12, Prop 40, etc, requires the use of CCC wherever feasible. If the grantee uses volunteers instead they won't reimburse the grantee. Big stick in use.

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    There is no cost number. The work is free, because there is a qualified group of people willing to do it for free, who have the experience and the know-how. So the last thing you want to do is reinforce the misconception that they need funding to get the work done. They don't, so don't support the lie.

Of course, we're dealing with the government here. Why do something for free when you can waste money doing it - whether $30,000 or $200,000. How many kids could you send to school for $200,000? How many hungry people could you feed? How much emergency medical care?

But no. Because it's the government they are going to pay inexperienced people with no knowledge of trailwork to go monkey around in the forest for a while. When done, if we are LUCKY we'll end up with the trainwreck of trail work that was the Motorway after they reopened it following the fire that closed that area. If we are unlucky, we as the public will be $200,000 poorer, while they have to send the Warrior's Society in to fix what hadn't been broken in the first place.

5. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’m not going to disagree with any of the ideals you’re espousing. But the FS just sent a dollar figure to a member of the House committee that appropriates money to the FS. This is what’s called a negotiation.

The Warriors’ next move is to shut up about the rangers, and put a volunteer-based plan into Michelle Nguyen’s inbox over at Rep Porter’s office. But if they keep acting like they can’t be good-faith partners with the civil servants, the elected officials aren’t going to give the Warriors the time of day.

If the elected officials don’t respond, they are fair game for all the rants. The rangers have one of the safest jobs on the planet, pissing them off is pointless at best, counterproductive at worst.

When I ask myself why the FS would decline such valuable volunteer labor, the only answer that makes sense to me is that the FS doesn’t see the value. Yelling at your customer is a terrible way to win repeat business.

6. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Dr Wertz at USC had a saying: “a one star general doesn’t become a two star by turning a $200M program into a $20M program, but by turning it into a $2B program.” His point was that the bureaucrats will see your cost reduction ideas as a bug. So you have to be patient and get through to the appropriators.

One of his favorite students now runs SpaceX, BTW.

herzalot, Cyclotourist and mike like this.